Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i've never cared about whether there was a scene for metal or not. all i know is that there are plenty of cool bands to be found, ones that are twisting the genre in all sorts of demented ways that transcend anything that people were doing when metal was at its "peak" (whenever that was).

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #42
PrimalFeelings
Banned

Everything Lord_Doku said.
PrimalFeelings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #43
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

This topic again? *sigh*

I know enough people who love metal to know metal is still alive and well. Does it really matter if everybody likes the same 4 bands like years ago?

I prefer the modern age where I can listen to countless bands rather than the same few over and over.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #44
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauvounous
Will there ever be another Big 4?

No, and I'll tell you why.

The big 4 were identified, not because they were better than any other band really (many would argue that a lot of the lesser known bands from that era are much better) but because they were the first thrash/metal bands signed to major labels. That's it. Nothing else.

Getting signed to a major is nowhere near as big a deal as it used to be, thus: never another big 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
damian_91

Metal is anything but a dying scene/genre/whatever, don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damian-91

My Gear:

Misha Mansoor Signature Carvin DC 747
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate (x10)
damian_91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #46
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
By modern, I mean metal made in the last 10 years or so. I consider it better because of the variety and the fact that the internet lets us access it and spread it. It is all subjective though, some may just prefer older styles.

Ok, cool. I like that definition of "better". But the old must give way to the new. I like a lot of older style Metal, but I also really like a lot of the new.
They will always be those who insist that "newer stuff isn't Metal", but it probably is. I mean, look at Djent, it's been around since the mid-00s and already is fading. But we still have guys insisting that Djent isn't Metal, when it has all the characteristics of Metal.

Nonetheless, the old forms will probably continue to evolve (listen to some of the modern experimental Black Metal bands and compare them to Bathory; complete sound difference, still BM), and totally new forms will spring up.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
awesomo41894

I believe metal is slowly coming back. A lot of people are starting to move away from core music, and bringing some blues/classic rock influences back. I give it 10 years and u will see another surge of amazing metal bands. Its just a matter of time.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
entity0009
UG's Null.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
I believe metal is slowly coming back. A lot of people are starting to move away from core music, and bringing some blues/classic rock influences back. I give it 10 years and u will see another surge of amazing metal bands. Its just a matter of time.

That is not "coming back". That is "regurgitating a dead horse".
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #49
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:

core is better though
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #50
darkcheef
☆☆☆

Thrash metal is terrible and I'm happy that shitty revivalism wave to bring it back lost steam quickly

Hopefully there will never be another big 4
darkcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #51
duncang
Popular British sitcom

It will certainly be interesting when all the classic bands give up or pop their clogs. Will all the repetitive drivel be phased out? Wishful thinking, probably.

For the number of people who play it, it's really not a great genre of music. Very hard to be good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #52
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
No, but there are various scenes that have died already. For instance, Djent is pretty much dead/dying; there's not a lot of commercial good Djent coming out now. (In fact, a few of the former big names of Djent have flat-out switched genres. Example: TessarcT are now doing Prog Rock.) I know a lot of the elitists were all gung-ho about how that wasn't Metal, but it was. It just wasn't what they liked about Metal. Anyway, my point is, there is a bit of ebb and flow within Metal. Consider how there's several new-ish bands that mix Black Metal or Death Metal with elements of various other genres.

That depends what you mean by "modern". Also, better is largely up to opinion.

Your argument is flawed by the assumption djent had anything good in it to begin with.

Most conversations that crop up about one style of music or another dying (especially metal) are usually caused by the proponents that argument having cursory knowledge of the genre at best.
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #53
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Uh, what?...

It doesn't need to "come back"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
Your argument is flawed by the assumption djent had anything good in it to begin with.

...And this is why we can't have nice things.

Look, let's get a few things clear. I despise Djent. However, saying it isn't Metal is like saying a subway sandwich isn't a sandwich. I personally don't find Djent to be good, but my personal preference doesn't change the fact that it still was/is Metal.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 07-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #54
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

As amazeballs as the internet is, it kind of killed the chance of a band being as big and having as much longevity as they used to.

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #55
whywefight
pray I pray I pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
show

was hoping for that gif of that guy twisting his nipples to fortress
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #56
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
As amazeballs as the internet is, it kind of killed the chance of a band being as big and having as much longevity as they used to.

That's good to me since it means less circle jerking one specific band for eternity and acting like stuck up cocks with a bad case of nostalgiaitis when looking at modern bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
No, but there are various scenes that have died already. For instance, Djent is pretty much dead/dying; there's not a lot of commercial good Djent coming out now. (In fact, a few of the former big names of Djent have flat-out switched genres. Example: TessarcT are now doing Prog Rock.) I know a lot of the elitists were all gung-ho about how that wasn't Metal, but it was. It just wasn't what they liked about Metal. Anyway, my point is, there is a bit of ebb and flow within Metal. Consider how there's several new-ish bands that mix Black Metal or Death Metal with elements of various other genres.

Problem with Djent is that it built it's ethos around a specific guitar tone and riff. It started out as a gimmicky type of music and thus it couldn't keep itself afloat after the gimmick got old.

Quote:
Look, let's get a few things clear. I despise Djent. However, saying it isn't Metal is like saying a subway sandwich isn't a sandwich. I personally don't find Djent to be good, but my personal preference doesn't change the fact that it still was/is Metal.

Ehh, I always felt it was more Metalcore-y and ambient music influenced than Metal, to be honest.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #57
whywefight
pray I pray I pray

you just reminded me to use ethos in every day conversations.

besides, if i ever form a different band than the one i'm in, i'm naming that mofo ethos.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #58
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
you just reminded me to use ethos in every day conversations.

besides, if i ever form a different band than the one i'm in, i'm naming that mofo ethos.

My work here is done.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #59
vilk
******ed

As pertaining to the death of djent, in the past year Ibanez, Jackson, BC Rich, and many other guitar company have been just cranking out new models of 7 and 8 string guitars, which as we know are primarily used in the metal genre, especially for djenting. Let's assume that these people have done market research and therefore would only be creating these production models because they know they can sell them. This would point toward the idea that not only is djent not dead, but it is becoming increasingly more popular. Also the newest TesseracT album IS very much djent, and I can hardly understand why you'd try to call it prog rock. And if it is prog rock, it's prog rock that absolutely djents. It's like one of the most djenting things to ever freaking happen.

And in my opinion Catch-33 was more redefining of contemporary music than anything metallica has ever done.

Last edited by vilk : 07-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #60
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
Also the newest TesseracT album IS very much djent, and I can hardly understand why you'd try to call it prog rock. And if it is prog rock, it's prog rock that absolutely djents. It's like one of the most djenting things to ever freaking happen.

And in my opinion Catch-33 was more redefining of contemporary music than anything metallica has ever done.

Altered State is boring ambient dribble with djent riffs to me. so yeah.

What's Catch-33?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: