Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Tcrumpen

Better to go for Value ot Solid State in this price range?

Well over in the "Electric Guitar" forum i started a topic about PRS guitars and people were saying that i should upgrade my amp to a better one if/when i eventually get a PRS and to make it a Value Combo rather than my Roland 20XL Solid State amp

Now i've done some initial researching and worked out my price range for the amp is gonna be £300 - £350 most likely

I'm just curious at that price range whether i'm going to find a decent Value amp (as they are a lot more expensive than Solid State)

Also if someone could explain to me what the difference between them is, go into a bit of detail

BIG NOTE: I AM NOT PLANNING ON GETTING THESE ANYTIME SOON, I JUST LIKE LOOKING INTO STUFF I LIKE
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

type of music?

new or are used amps ok?

can you play loud or just playing at low volume?

you're in the UK right?

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

You could go for tubes indeed!

The difference is that tubes tend to color the sound a bit, adding this and that and that other.

The main reason why they are preferred over solid state is that, alongside with the above, they sound better when they are overdriven (they distort I-don't-really-remember-what-harmonics nstead of the bad sounding ones).

They introduce a bit of compression, too, or a lot if you drive 'em harder.

If you want something really clean, and just clean, with a pristine clear sound and pretty clean overall, get yourself a solid state one, like the Roland jazz chorus (pretty famous amp, they say its clean channel is among the best sounding ones.

But tubes are cooler (hotter, actually), you can drive 'em and get a nice overdrive and stuff.

Have a look at some Ampeg GVT52-112/212 maybe?

The 112 goes for £300 from thomann, and the 212 should be less than £50 more than that.

I like how it sounds - two channels, reeeally nice clean, cute little crunch, baxandall eq (complicated stuff), and cheap.

It sounds different from a lot of other amps, which maybe is exactly what you want. Or maybe not.

Other nice tube amps in your price range are the blackheart bh5/bh15, the bugera v22, maybe some bugera 2x12 combo (high gain stuff), the blackstar HT1/HT5, and the orange tiny terror (hybrid, meaning that it has a tube preamps and a solid state power section).

Some of them are only available as heads, so you might wanna take a look at the Harley Benton G212 Vintage or the Jet City JCA24S.

If you want something more versatile instead, you can always go for some modeling stuff - the peavey vypyr (vypyr tube would be perfect if you wanted versatility and tubes in the same amp) or the vox valvetronix.

If you still aren't happy with that, you'll hardly find something better in that price range.

I'd buy some cheap and small tube head alongside with a good cab and start saving for THE amp.
The true love of your life. The one that will make you happey and you will love you more as the day will pass, for the rest of your life. Could it be an old JCM800, or a 5150 III, or a Kemper PA.

For now anyway, I'd go with tube unless you want something really big, like a 100w amp and a 4x12 cb.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
jhart08

Are you looking for a gigging amp or just a practice amp? One of the sweetest sounding guitar amps I've gotten the opportunity to play (where I'm from you never see mesa's, bogners or the like) is the Vox 4 ACTV, except it was the one with the top boost circuit instead, I don't remember the submodel name. One channel, all tube, great sound when you really pushed it. 250 American dollars and I hate myself for not picking it up. I agree with Sambot, It really depends on your needs. If you need versatility and are saving for THE amp (nicely put btw), I would try and find a Jazz Chorus used and use pedals for my distorted tones. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that set up and it is a pristine clean amp. Save for that awesome tube amp you're dreaming of. Tube purists may raise their nose at that, but it's your tone so it's your decision. Trust your ear.
jhart08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
type of music?

new or are used amps ok?

can you play loud or just playing at low volume?

you're in the UK right?

1) Hard Rock / Metal / Classic Rock + the occasional bit of emotional songs, so would need a farily nice clean sound / acoustic sim
2) Volume will depend on where i'm living and my mood, but being a student i assume that when i eventually get enough money for this i'll still be in flats, so no too loud
3)Yea i'm in the uk
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
sjones
UG's Analrapist

More questions to throw at you.

1) Do you plan on/aspire to play gigs any time soon? And do you want/need this amp to be gig suitable?

2) Maybe I've just missed it in my scroll through this thread, but what guitar are you using currently?

What I'm getting at here, if you can't tell, is that if you're not planning on gigging any time soon, you may be just as well off using that amp you currently have and getting a nicer guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones
More questions to throw at you.

1) Do you plan on/aspire to play gigs any time soon? And do you want/need this amp to be gig suitable?

2) Maybe I've just missed it in my scroll through this thread, but what guitar are you using currently?

What I'm getting at here, if you can't tell, is that if you're not planning on gigging any time soon, you may be just as well off using that amp you currently have and getting a nicer guitar.

1) I don't gig right now, but i would like the possibility to gig at some point in the future (don't wanna do it till i think i'm good enough)

2) You didn't miss it as i didn't state it: I am using a Tokai SG
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you're not buying it anytime soon, it'd probably be worth adding a little money to your budget- you're not far off pretty nice amps (jet city, for example, or traynor).

EDIT: yeah if you'll be living in flats i dunno about tube...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrumpen
1) I don't gig right now, but i would like the possibility to gig at some point in the future (don't wanna do it till i think i'm good enough)

I'm really not all that familiar with Tokai's, but if I'm not mistaken they're generally regarded as pretty decent guitars, right?

Providing you're pretty happy with your guitar right now, a new amp is probably a better route to take. As Dave mentioned, it probably wouldn't hurt to save up a little bit more money before you buy. Of the brands he mentioned, I'm a fan of Jet City (I own and use a Jet City JCA20 Head) and I've always thought pretty highly of Traynor as well. Either of those would be good options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:

honestly just stick with a decent modeling amp for now.

the kicker is the acoustic sim you want, tube amps aren't going to have that.

also you can't really play loud, and if you did, it would be to practice with a friend that drums occasionally maybe? or would that still be a ways off?

i'm thinking a decent modeling amp for a while and save up for a good tube amp when you need and can use one.

if you won't be playing with a drummer anytime too soon my rec is the yamaha thr10 and not the metal version thr10x. the metal version doesn't have the acoustic sim, which is quite nice. check it out, there are plenty of videos that give a decent run down of what it does etc.

this would be a nice upgrade from the cube for now. another option is the vypyr 30 which would be better only if you can crank it up. it gets pretty loud if you can ever just jam with a buddy on drums or whatever.

either of those would work nicely until the point where you can get use out of a tube amp. just my .02.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 07-16-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
honestly just stick with a decent modeling amp for now.

the kicker is the acoustic sim you want, tube amps aren't going to have that.

also you can't really play loud, and if you did, it would be to practice with a friend that drums occasionally maybe? or would that still be a ways off?

i'm thinking a decent modeling amp for a while and save up for a good tube amp when you need and can use one.

if you won't be playing with a drummer anytime too soon my rec is the yamaha thr10 and not the metal version thr10x. the metal version doesn't have the acoustic sim, which is quite nice. check it out, there are plenty of videos that give a decent run down of what it does etc.

this would be a nice upgrade from the cube for now. another option is the vypyr 30 which would be better only if you can crank it up. it gets pretty loud if you can ever just jam with a buddy on drums or whatever.

either of those would work nicely until the point where you can get use out of a tube amp. just my .02.

The acoustic sim isn't a must have, it's would just be a useful feature to have seeing as how my current amp has one, although i have to confess to me it doesn't make sound the guitar anything like an acoustic at all, just encahnces the bass a it
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
gregs1020
Hi mom!

ok i follow.

with the thr you can plug an actual acoustic through it and it works as an acoustic amp does. it sounds great that way. but it's not a "sim" as much as an actual acoustic amp at that point.

i don't know if the vypyr has an acoustic model/input/sim, but you could use the twin setting on it and it would probably work well with an acoustic plugged in.

i've not found a good sim for making an electric sound like an acoustic, the best way to do that is a piezo bridge imo.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Tcrumpen

To see whether i have this right in my head, your saying that based on the fact that when i finish uni (which is where i am right now) beacuse i will be living in a flat that it would be a good choice for me just to get a better SS modelling amp?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
To see whether i have this right in my head, your saying that based on the fact that when i finish uni (which is where i am right now) beacuse i will be living in a flat that it would be a good choice for me just to get a better SS modelling amp?

Better modeling amp, yes. It needn't be entirely SS, a decent hybrid might give you more flexibility.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Better modeling amp, yes. It needn't be entirely SS, a decent hybrid might give you more flexibility.

Ok if you could link me a few so i know what ball bit to play around in that would eb fantastic
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Ok if you could link me a few so i know what ball bit to play around in that would eb fantastic

I suspect the only one in your current price range would be the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, but you might find a Line 6 Spider Valve used?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
diabolical

Save up a bit and get a Mesa Mini Rectifier or a Marshall DSL2000
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Save up a bit and get a Mesa Mini Rectifier or a Marshall DSL2000

For use in a dorm or flat? Really?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!

yes i'd say a better modeling amp for now until you can really play at a decent volume. until then just try out as many amps as you can when you're in stores.

read a lot of threads here to learn about amps you've never heard of as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I suspect the only one in your current price range would be the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, but you might find a Line 6 Spider Valve used?

both great amps for the prices they can be had imo. i too am the rare fan of the spider valve for as versatile as it is and what they cost used. down the road either one would work on the cheap.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Tcrumpen

Just a quick idea, there is a chance that i could trade-in my Cube for some money of a Vypyr 15w combo at my local guitar store, would that be a good idea, or should i stick with what i have and jsut wait till ig et the money to get a better amp

Rate This Thread: