Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrumpen
Just a quick idea, there is a chance that i could trade-in my Cube for some money of a Vypyr 15w combo at my local guitar store, would that be a good idea, or should i stick with what i have and jsut wait till ig et the money to get a better amp

That's not an 'upgrade' really...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
gregs1020
Hi mom!

go try it out and see if you like it. you may not prefer it's models to your cube because it's what you are used to. no way to say if you'll like it more until you try it.

i think the models on the vypyr sound really good. they are a little nicer through the tube version but the 15 and 30 both sound nice. the 30 has a few more effects and a usb hook up for your computer iirc. that's why i rec'd that one.

or try to sell your cube locally to someone, you would probably get more for it that way if you decide to go for the vypyr.

there's nothing wrong with trading it in, if you can get enough out of the store. stores don't usually pay well for the used trade ins.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
go try it out and see if you like it. you may not prefer it's models to your cube because it's what you are used to. no way to say if you'll like it more until you try it.

i think the models on the vypyr sound really good. they are a little nicer through the tube version but the 15 and 30 both sound nice. the 30 has a few more effects and a usb hook up for your computer iirc. that's why i rec'd that one.

or try to sell your cube locally to someone, you would probably get more for it that way if you decide to go for the vypyr.

there's nothing wrong with trading it in, if you can get enough out of the store. stores don't usually pay well for the used trade ins.

it was just an idea, cos after seeing some demos online people have masnaged to get a much better metal tone out of a Vypyr than i ever could on my Cube, although that might be due to the fact that i'm no where near their skill level, playing style also affects the tone you get
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
both great amps for the prices they can be had imo. i too am the rare fan of the spider valve for as versatile as it is and what they cost used. down the road either one would work on the cheap.

I think the biggest failing of the SV is that it's too complex and most guitarists don't enjoy the steep learning curve prior to getting a great tone.

I'm a techno-geek, I enjoyed the hell out of it! Which is probably why I still suck at actually...you know...playing guitar!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
gregs1020
Hi mom!

a lot of people prefer the vypyr to the cube. it's all preference there. i like the vypyr models better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
1 I think the biggest failing of the SV is that it's too complex and most guitarists don't enjoy the steep learning curve prior to getting a great tone.

2 I'm a techno-geek, I enjoyed the hell out of it! Which is probably why I still suck at actually...you know...playing guitar!

1 no the biggest "failing" was the stuupid volume jump when changing presets. man that was annoying. but once you set the thing up correctly it worked great. not the absolute best tone on the planet but damn good for $300 used. when i worked at the store they blew them out at $349 iirc right when the spider IV came out.

2 i'm no techno geek and i still suck at guitar.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 07-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
kevinpaul

I have had many amps. Tubes are great, my Vox AC30 is old and has failed me at the worst times possible. I had a little Vox AC4TV that died a fast death. I took it apart to fix it only to find the boards were stapled together. Made in China not England. I read reviews mostly good on the Fender Mustang Amps. I bought a Mustang II a few weeks ago and am happy with it. I took it to a Blues Fest and it did very well. It was miced as normal and got many compliments.
My old Vox may be sitting in the wings?
kevinpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
JELIFISH19

I've been messing with Amplitube lately and I'm very impressed with it. I think it completely beats out all of the cheap modelers. It's also cheaper. The stealthplug costs $100 and the stealthpedal is $230. You can buy the amps and effects in a pack or you can buy them individually. You also need something to play out of. It's more cumbersome than a box that has everything you need in it but I think the sound quality is superior.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
diabolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
For use in a dorm or flat? Really?

Why not? The DSL has a 40 watt option with reduced wattage option as well, the MEsa Mini Rectifier has that as well. You can play both at lower volumes as well
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Why not? The DSL has a 40 watt option with reduced wattage option as well, the MEsa Mini Rectifier has that as well. You can play both at lower volumes as well

both of those are Heads (from what i saw when i googled em) which means that i would have to buy a cab with it as well unless i'm mistaken (i've never really understood what the deal with heads and cabs are)
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
diabolical

DSL has a combo 40 watt option, not sure about the Mesa but it is lovely. Anyway, look into Mesa 5:25 if you think the Mini is too much.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #31
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

Even low wattage is generally still pretty loud, and yes you can play at lower volumes, but as we've seen over the course of dozens (hundreds) of requests, in many cases even that is too loud and IIRC, neither of those come with a headphone jack?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #32
diabolical

Well, if you want heaphone practice capability you'd have to look at a ss, most tube amps don't have one, some might have a speaker emulated out but few and far in between.

In that case I did a GT-10 processor and an Orange TT amp for those late night sessions. Bit of a compromise but the Orange in itself is a great recording amp, kinda limited for practice (no fx, only one channel, etc.), thus the GT-10 processor. Vst amp sims work as well for late night practicing, but I always prefer to at least have one amp handy that I can use to reamp so I am moving real speakers when recording.

Might want to look into Marshall Class5 combo if channel switching is not an issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #33
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Well, if you want heaphone practice capability you'd have to look at a ss, most tube amps don't have one, some might have a speaker emulated out but few and far in between.

In that case I did a GT-10 processor and an Orange TT amp for those late night sessions. Bit of a compromise but the Orange in itself is a great recording amp, kinda limited for practice (no fx, only one channel, etc.), thus the GT-10 processor. Vst amp sims work as well for late night practicing, but I always prefer to at least have one amp handy that I can use to reamp so I am moving real speakers when recording.

Might want to look into Marshall Class5 combo if channel switching is not an issue.

What about if i wanted pedals, cos some of the songs i will want to practice have clean sections AND dirty section (like One by Metallica)

The artists that i will prob want to get the sound for

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Van Halen
Social Distortion
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
+ Some other prob more modern artists, like Bink 182, Fountains of Wayne etc.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
diabolical

Marshall DSL combo will cover Metallica, Maiden, C\Van Halen (maybe w/ boost), the rest no problem.
Same thing with the Mesas - covered out of the box, maybe overdrive needed.

If you get single channel amp then you'd have to get overdrive/distortion. Tube amps generally are quite friendly to overdrive, the idea of something like the Orange TT is to get a crunch sound, then boost it into metal territory with an overdrive, if you need to clean up you roll off the volume and amp cleans up.

Forgot to mention the Peavey Valveking - might be more in your budget. Also multi-channel tube amp.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
Tcrumpen

OK side question what about my Cube considering that's what i have know, and i don't have the cash for pedals, could the Cube be able to produce a Metallica / Maiden tone?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #36
JELIFISH19

Quote:
What about if i wanted pedals, cos some of the songs i will want to practice have clean sections AND dirty section (like One by Metallica)

The artists that i will prob want to get the sound for

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Van Halen
Social Distortion
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
+ Some other prob more modern artists, like Bink 182, Fountains of Wayne etc.

Shouldn't be a problem if you play dynamically and use your guitar's volume knob.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #37
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
OK side question what about my Cube considering that's what i have know, and i don't have the cash for pedals, could the Cube be able to produce a Metallica / Maiden tone?

new metallica- use the r-fier model

old metallica and maiden- use the marshall jcm800 model

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #38
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
new metallica- use the r-fier model

old metallica and maiden- use the marshall jcm800 model

I don't have those setting on my cube, on my cube i have:

Acoustic Sim
Overdrive
Distortion
Metal
Metal Stack
Extreme
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #39
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right i was afraid of that

probably use metal stack for modern metallica. i think (don't quote me) it's a peavey 6505 amp model.

the others are stompbox models, unfortunately, i don't think they're as good as the amp models. I guess the distortion mode would be the one to use for early metallica and iron maiden. but play it by ear, really.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #40
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

If you do go the Vypyr route, get the 30. The 12" speaker alone is worth it. I can't see you doing metal on an 8".
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: