Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
AJScott

Solid State Power Amp

Hey guys, i'm going to be converting from using a "real amp" to using a POD HD Pro and a power amp to power my cab, I know I can run the Pro direct to mixing desks and whatnot but I still like to use my cab and have an on stage presence.

I know nothing/little of power amps! What sort of power amps should I be looking at, can someone reccomend me some models? I preferably want a solid state power amp, i'm not after tubes as I don't want the hassle of replacing tubes. Just plug and go sort of thing! I'm wanting to power my 412 240 Watt Line 6 cab loading with Celestion V30s.

Budget, can probably go around 200? However I don't know if that's a suitable number for a power amp. Also, must be rack mountable.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

I take it by the budget in Great British Pounds that you are somewhere in England? What brands are available where you live?

There are a great many fine solid-state power amplifiers that would fit your needs, and since you are not looking for the kind of wattage needed to power a P.A. system, you should have quite a few choices in your budget. Crown is one of the best-known names in the power amp business, and their reputation is well-deserved. They make amps that run the spectrum of the price range. I know a few bassists who use a variety of Peavey power amps, and they seem very happy with them. QSC is another good brand. A lot of people seem to like the American Audio VLP300, which is a one-space rackmount amp at about 150 watts per channel/300 watts bridged. It sells in the U.S.A. for US$200.00.

I'm afraid I just don't know what these things sell for in your neck of the woods. Also, if you go used and stick to a good brand name, you should be fine.

Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
I take it by the budget in Great British Pounds that you are somewhere in England? What brands are available where you live?

There are a great many fine solid-state power amplifiers that would fit your needs, and since you are not looking for the kind of wattage needed to power a P.A. system, you should have quite a few choices in your budget. Crown is one of the best-known names in the power amp business, and their reputation is well-deserved. They make amps that run the spectrum of the price range. I know a few bassists who use a variety of Peavey power amps, and they seem very happy with them. QSC is another good brand. A lot of people seem to like the American Audio VLP300, which is a one-space rackmount amp at about 150 watts per channel/300 watts bridged. It sells in the U.S.A. for US$200.00.

I'm afraid I just don't know what these things sell for in your neck of the woods. Also, if you go used and stick to a good brand name, you should be fine.

Good luck with your search.

Would preferably buy new and get a warranty, i'll probably be ordering off Thomann since I'll get my POD HD Pro of there (I have some Thomann vouchers to use)

I'm not particular to any brand, just something that's going to withstand being cranked at gigs potentially every week.

Edit: Must be able to go into 16 ohms mono, however having the options of 4,8 and 16 would be best.

Last edited by AJScott : 07-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
JELIFISH19

Maybe an ISP Stealth
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
diabolical

Not sure if there are any new Mosfet guitar power amps but there were a few brands in the late 80s/early 90s I remember sounded better than straight up solid state amps. I think it might have been this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitech-Ha...=item27b974d069

New, I am not sure there's much on the market geared towards guitar. I know Tech21 makes a power amp/speaker powered combo that works good as clean tonal palette. I would probably go with one of the small power amps that are on the market nowadays, like the TC Electronic BH250, I think there are a few for guitar, if not even try one of the bass ones, might as well carry less
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
AJScott

After doing some searching I think I'll get a Rocktron Velocity 300, seems the best option

Edit: Nevermind! I'm not changing cab and I want to run 16 ohms mono and the Rocktron Velocity 300 doesn't run at 16 ohms mono

Last edited by AJScott : 07-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
diabolical

See if you can score a Marshall Valvestate power amp - I remember they also did a mosfet version in the mid 90's that sounded really good.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: