Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Blew1

Best Distortion / Fuzz / Overdrive pedal?

Hello everyone,

I've been playing guitar for a while now and am only starting getting into guitar effects pedals. I have a BOSS GE-7 Equalizer for boosting mids predominantly for solos and am going to get a Dunlop Crybaby Wah in the near future.

The next bit of gear I'm looking at is Distortion / Fuzz / Overdrive pedal but am unsure what really is the difference between the 3 types (if any) and which would be best for me and the kind of stuff I play.

I'm basically looking to get a little extra from my Orange TH-30 and Gibson Explorer and Classic LP for both soloing and riffs that needed more distortion. I mainly play metal and hard rock (Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Clutch, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Down, Crowbar, Motorhead etc).

I've narrowed it down to the following pedals which I think (emphasis on I THINK) would be able to help with this and are more or less within my price range and have been mentioned in related articles I can find :

-Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
-Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
-BOSS DS -1 / Any other of their distortions? There are A LOT!
-BOSS FZ-5 Fuzz
-Any other reccommendations?

I do of course intend on trying all these pedals at my local store but if anyone has advice on which would best suit my needs/ music style / current setup or could reccommend a good all rounder from the ones I listed or another pedal that would provide distortion, fuzz and overdrive it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blew1
Blew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

What you need is an overdrive pedal. A distortion or a fuzz would be overkill. Nothing wrong with a stock TS9, a Bad Monkey is also usable if you're on a tighter budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
sjones
UG's Analrapist

If you're on a budget, I'd second the recommendation of the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a great pedal, especially considering the price. I've had one on my board for about 8 years at this point and it's literally been through hundreds of gigs. The high/low eq's on the pedal are a nice addition, as it's more tweakable than a single tone knob.

My main OD on my board, although it might not be what you're looking for, is an MI Audio Blues Pro. I find it to be fatter, and more of a wide-ranged boost compared to the mid-spiked TS-style OD. It has more volume and gain as well. You however, may want that classic mid-spiked TS drive, but it's at least worth a look.

Once again, another budget option is the GFS TS clones. The twin-TS style pedal is intriguing to me. Once again, it's certainly something to check out if you're not wanting to sell a bodily organ to buy a drive pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

I third the bad monkey if you're on a budget.

but i do agree that you need an overdrive. some distortions are alright, but I'd stay away from anything to extreme. I personally never cared for the boss ds-1, but it could be light enough for you to play those styles of music with. Definitely don't think you need a fuzz though.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i think i already answered this on musicradar. +1 on the bad monkey. the screamin blues is pretty nice too if you want something more transparent (it has more level boost on tap, too).

But if you only get one, the bad monkey is probably the safer choice.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I really like the fulltone Fulldrive 2 (I keep mine at the store though) if you're not on a budget. The Boss SD-1 and EH Big Muff are my personal favorite sub $100 pedals. I also have a dirt cheap old Russian Big Muff I like too, well worth the $20. All are great for a gritty, grimy, fuzzy overdrive, if you're into that sorta thing.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: