Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Shady Guy Jose

PDF tab uploads.

This could be useful, allowing people who don't have access to software like GP to use tabs created in those programs, provided the tabbers take the time to generate a PDF of their tabs. It would have a visible advantage over text tabs in terms of formatting issues (some browsers might not display text tabs properly) and the fact that they may include the actual staff, which gives users rhythmic information that may not be present in the text tabs, and may be more convenient to classically trained musicians who prefer musical staff to tab. It would also allow people to download the tabs without having to take the time to copy/paste the text and with no fear of formatting loss. For convenience, they could be divided into PDF-tab, PDF-staff, and PDF-combo, so people have a greater choice. Guidelines may also be implemented as to how they should be exported (what information they should include) in each case.

EDIT: something I posted below, which I think might be convenient here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Guy Jose
Just so that anyone with actual power to implement this (or anyone curious) can see what I mean, this is an example of what I described as a PDF-combo of the song I Am... All of Me by Crush 40. This was generated by Guitar Pro 6, using only the guitar track of my own tab for this song (I will be uploading it in gpx format through the standard means when I finish all the tracks, which may take a while, since I have no experience ear-transcribing drums and I find the bass hard to distinguish in the mix, but I digress):

I Am... All of Me.pdf (587 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!MQVQRQSb!V8zDy...WKAF1yQc19Q2IAM

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose : 07-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Shady Guy Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

Might be useful. But it may also lead to users scanning tab books and just uploading them. If formatting is an issue, could you not just take a screenshot of the tab? Isn't that essentially would would be done to make the PDF in the first place?
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Shady Guy Jose

No, not really. I'm thinking PDFs as exported from Guitar Pro 6 or any other similar program (I guess word processors would be okay for PDF-tab). Text tab formatting was just one of the pros, as I picture the PDF-combo as the standard format for this. As for users uploading scanned tab books, isn't that what we have an approval process for?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

A solid idea, in my opinion. Good point about the tb approval process as well.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Shady Guy Jose

Just so that anyone with actual power to implement this (or anyone curious) can see what I mean, this is an example of what I described as a PDF-combo of the song I Am... All of Me by Crush 40. This was generated by Guitar Pro 6, using only the guitar track of my own tab for this song (I will be uploading it in gpx format through the standard means when I finish all the tracks, which may take a while, since I have no experience ear-transcribing drums and I find the bass hard to distinguish in the mix, but I digress):

I Am... All of Me.pdf (587 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!MQVQRQSb!V8zDy...WKAF1yQc19Q2IAM

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose : 07-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
No, not really. I'm thinking PDFs as exported from Guitar Pro 6 or any other similar program (I guess word processors would be okay for PDF-tab). Text tab formatting was just one of the pros, as I picture the PDF-combo as the standard format for this. As for users uploading scanned tab books, isn't that what we have an approval process for?

Approval process does about nothing to stop this. I've voted to reject numerous tabs that were copied straight from tab books, only to find a tab moderator disregard my vote (and comment) and upload the tab anyways.

As for PDF's, we used them on another tab site that I frequent. But the only reason we switched from text to PDF was to prevent people from easily stealing our text tabs.

Truthfully though, I don't believe PDF tabs would have a significant advantage over text here. Formatting isn't much of an issue anymore, as the submissions queue (and the 'WTF where's my tab?' thread) does a good job of weeding out the poorly formatted tabs. And with Tab Pro now, I don't see UG implementing PDF's so people without GP can view those tabs... not to mention there's already a free program to view GP files, TuxGuitar.

Last edited by ruker : 07-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Shady Guy Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
Approval process does about nothing to stop this. I've voted to reject numerous tabs that were copied straight from tab books, only to find a tab moderator disregard my vote (and comment) and upload the tab anyways.

As for PDF's, we used them on another tab site that I frequent. But the only reason we switched from text to PDF was to prevent people from easily stealing our text tabs.

Truthfully though, I don't believe PDF tabs would have a significant advantage over text here. Formatting isn't much of an issue anymore, as the submissions queue (and the 'WTF where's my tab?' thread) does a good job of weeding out the poorly formatted tabs. And with Tab Pro now, I don't see UG implementing PDF's so people without GP can view those tabs.

Copying is one thing, since one can easily argue that they're just good transcribers and came to a similar (or even the same) result as whoever tabbed it out for the book, and there is no way to prove otherwise. Flat-out scanning is a whole different ordeal, and I doubt any mod would allow it. You do have a point with Tab Pro, though, UG might not want to give people an alternative to actually paying them... As for the advantages over text, I believe the inclusion of an actual staff besides the tab might justify the different format (Tab Pro aside). Check out the one I just uploaded on my previous post so you can see exactly what I mean.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
Check out the one I just uploaded on my previous post so you can see exactly what I mean.

I did. It wants me to signup to download (no thanks), but by just viewing it, the formatting was off (maybe just viewing it did that)... a lot of the tab notes were off, right of the staff. But I know what you mean. I guess it would benefit some, but enough to justify implementing it? For one, you'd need to be able to read standard notation (uncommon at tab sites), and two, you'd have to be without GP/TP/PT/TuxGuitar... which TuxGuitar is free, and reads GP/PT files.

Last edited by ruker : 07-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Shady Guy Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
I did. It wants me to signup to download (no thanks), but by just viewing it, the formatting was off (maybe just viewing it did that)... a lot of the tab notes were off, right of the staff. But I know what you mean. I guess it would benefit some, but enough to justify implementing it? For one, you'd need to be able to read standard notation (uncommon at tab sites), and two, you'd have to be without GP/TP/PT/TuxGuitar... which TuxGuitar is free, and reads GP/PT files.

Oh, I'll upload it to a different host right away, I hope this one doesn't require signing up. I'll edit the other post with the new link.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
fanapathy
B-Tuned

I think it would be fine, however there's more related to this.

Not just PDF, possibility to have multiple formats in your tab would be awesome.
Everyone who tabs in GP can easily export to ASCII, .png, .pdf, even Midi and earlier formats of GP.

To have the ability to embed multiple file formats would help making our tabs useful for much more people. Of course, submitting the same tab in 5 different formats would make the site a complete mess so they should be available on the same page.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Shady Guy Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
I think it would be fine, however there's more related to this.

Not just PDF, possibility to have multiple formats in your tab would be awesome.
Everyone who tabs in GP can easily export to ASCII, .png, .pdf, even Midi and earlier formats of GP.

To have the ability to embed multiple file formats would help making our tabs useful for much more people. Of course, submitting the same tab in 5 different formats would make the site a complete mess so they should be available on the same page.

Indeed, this could come coupled with a tab link feature. As in "Download this tab in..." with the various formats (separated by track when the format cannot include the whole thing, such as PDF). If and when PDF itself does get approved, this could also be a nice suggestion to make. Especially since GP-ASCII is a bit different from the format this site uses for standard text tabs, so it should be only available when linked to a GP tab, so that people know to expect a slightly different notation, avoiding confusion.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

Quote:
I'm thinking PDFs as exported from Guitar Pro 6 or any other similar program (I guess word processors would be okay for PDF-tab). Text tab formatting was just one of the pros, as I picture the PDF-combo as the standard format for this.

Ok that sounds like a good idea. It would definitely increase user access to tabs.
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

As someone with Tuxguitar and GP6, but not GP5, this would be great, because GP6's GP5 export is sketchy sometimes, and I feel like most people here still use GP5. Which is why I just had to upload an old GPX tab in GP5, after formatting it in TuxGuitar so it would display and play back appropriately. A PDF would be so much easier.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-16-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Ximich
UG Developer

PDF tabs are not available on the website due to licensing restrictions as PDF-tabs are similar to notes.
Ximich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
Shady Guy Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximich
PDF tabs are not available on the website due to licensing restrictions as PDF-tabs are similar to notes.

I'm not sure I follow. What are these "notes", and what licensing problems might arise because of them?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Ximich
UG Developer

PDF-tab = Music sheet book.

Here is music sheet book famous publisher.
Ximich is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: