Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Joeballz

Boss me-25 worth it?

I'm considering picking up a Boss ME-25 to use with my Peavey 6505 112. I'm gonna mainly use it for effects, looper and using backing tracks through it. Anyone have experience with this unit? It seems the easiest to use which I like since I can't stand menus. Just trying to hear some reviews an opinions on it before i make the purchase. Thanks

Also does the me25 have a built in tuner?

Last edited by Joeballz : 07-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Joeballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
diabolical

Should work ok. The ME-5 has a built in tuner so I imagine this one should as well. Personally, I'll suggest getting a used GT-6, GT-8 or GT-10 as they are about the price of a new Me-25 and are a lot better.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
mguitarb

i don't own it, but i can tell you it has a tuner
mguitarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Yeah the menu/configuration controls are crappy. But the ME-25 has a really cool freeze effect controlled by the expression pedal. And the looper works well.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
PrimalFeelings
Banned

I think it's pretty good, can get some really great sounds out of it for the price. I've owned mine for a year and a half and the only complaint I have is that I can't see how I've programmed a setting. For example if you go into edit a setting it might say that you have a pre-amp, but it won't say what one you chose and the levels for everything. But besides that I'd say go for it.
PrimalFeelings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Joeballz

I can get it for 170$ new so I might pull the trigger. I know the boss gt series can be the same price used but the me25 seems more simple and user friendly. I'm all about simplicity. Less menus and knobs and Makes me a happy camper.

Last edited by Joeballz : 07-16-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
kiefermatot
Banned

i've had one for a couple years now. the tuner it is equipped with works very well and is accurate. nothing to really complain about other than the super stack option sounds absolutely horrible with everything i've tried playing through it, and i'm not a fan of the chorus sounds on it. the expression pedal effects can be kind of irritating at times to activate as well.

other than that - very easy to use, definitely worth the low price tag.
kiefermatot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Joeballz

My biggest debate now is the me25 vs 70.

Last edited by Joeballz : 07-17-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
MultiM

consider the zoom G3 looper and tuner and so many effects for 160$ but if you want expression pedal you'll go for the G3X for 200$(depends on where you live).

I have the G5 and it have some nice amp simulators and effects, but I don't think you'll need the amp simulators if you have the 6505 112.
MultiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalFeelings
I think it's pretty good, can get some really great sounds out of it for the price. I've owned mine for a year and a half and the only complaint I have is that I can't see how I've programmed a setting. For example if you go into edit a setting it might say that you have a pre-amp, but it won't say what one you chose and the levels for everything. But besides that I'd say go for it.
It is possible to see the current preset parameters. You'll need to read the manual for instructions. And it is tedious if you need to go through them all to write them down.

Completed listings on eBay show them going for as low as $75. I couldn't get more than $100 for mine on CL so I decided to keep it just for the freeze effect alone. That and the simplicity of the looper and decent tones make it worth having for me. Footswitch control is lacking flexibility. It would have been nice if you could reassign the solo boost, or even program the amount of boost.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
diabolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeballz
I can get it for 170$ new so I might pull the trigger. I know the boss gt series can be the same price used but the me25 seems more simple and user friendly. I'm all about simplicity. Less menus and knobs and Makes me a happy camper.

Honestly, it is at about the same level of simplicity. When I got the GT-10 I was evaluating a ME-50 and they were about the same to get them working, on the GT-10 you can actually see what you're doing thanks to the LCD screen.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Joeballz

The gt series look nicer and have alot more features, but Honestly I don't think I need most of them since I'm gonna be mainly using my amp for distortion and clean and the multi pedal just for effects and backing tracks. If I didn't have a amp I might consider the newer gt100 but its also alot more than I'm willing to spend. Based on everyone's review looks like I'mma go with a me-70 now since it seems more practical for my use.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
souperman08

For the money, I'd say at least look into the Zoom G3.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #14
diabolical

I think you can get a lot more variety of effects out of the GT-10 (or even older ones like GT-8) and quality is really good so I wouldn't be afraid to buy used. Amp sims can be easily disabled and the level of detail of the rest of the effects is a lot better than the ME series. My 2c.

If you want just effects, look at TC's line of floor processors.

Rate This Thread: