Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
unmasked.music

Masks-Obliteration Need some tips from metal heads on mixing/mastering!

Hey guys, just finished recording first song and wanted some feedback and tips on how to make the song all around sound better. Honestly, I don't know what genre to throw this into but a mashup of deathcore and metalcore. I especially would like tips when it comes to guitar recording/mixing/mastering and vocal mixing/mastering. Check out Obliteration at UnmaskingMusic youtube channel or the link below and help us out; subscribe if you like the song, for more are coming!
Thanks all.

youtube.com/watch?v=Unn-MjV-YPY
unmasked.music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

First off, your "good feedback" comes from someone with a MySpace-style angled shot and fucking cat ears. I wouldn't take anything they say at face value.

You're using a drum machine. That's not a question, that's an observation. It's the only thing that's perfectly in time with every hit, and there's no variation in the velocity. I'm going to guess it's Superior. Superior doesn't sound good out of the box; it needs processing to get that modern metal drum sound.
The snare is weak and trash can-y; compress it with a sharp ratio and about 15-20ms attack to give it some oomph. It'll still probably sound irritating, though. Feel free to do the same to the kick, but what the kick needs more than anything is some highs. Don't go overboard on that; that way lies the irritating typewriter-kick sound.
E: Oh right, cymbals. I forgot they existed because they're barely even there. Louden them up. But if you're using Superior, a tiny bit of low pass filter will help mitigate that irritating, washy Toontrack sound (which I have to deal with all the time as a DKFH user).

I don't hear any bass. Period. Fix this.

For the guitars: No matter how well you mix them, they will still sound like shit if you don't rehearse before recording. Get the timing perfect before you click Record, or learn to edit. I recommend the first one, it's less tedious.
Use a high pass filter to get rid of the mud, and work on that EQ. It's begging for more mids and less presence. If you need more control than bass-mid-treble, you can use your DAW's EQ too.

The vocals aren't too bad (E: I take it back, they're actually pretty good for a random UG deathcore band), but they could be louder.

Got all that? Great! Now you can work on songwriting.

~Cava (aka the Gordon Ramsey of Recordings)

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
unmasked.music

Thanks for the feedback! First recording attempt so think of me having no clue what I'm doing. This was me putsing around alone with a new program. Actual critique is definitely a good thing so kudos and thanks.

Last edited by unmasked.music : 07-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Really solid for a first attempt but you've still got a long way to go.

- Annoyingly robotic virtual drums!

- Guitars sound decent, if a bit tinny, but they're 'floating' miles away from everything else and barely feel attached to everything. You need to fill out that stereo image with overheads etc and use some kind of subtle ambience to glue it all together.

- Bass seems to have gone for a tea break

- Kick is a bit round and wooly, making the center image a little muddy. It's a nice from clicky cardboard box metal kicks though.

- Snare needs a bit more bite, it's a bit muddy and unfocused

- Overheads are barely audible and seem to be mono. Spread em out either side of the center and don't be afraid to EQ em to hell and back if they're too raw-sounding.

- Vocals are too dry and a little bland. Again, a really subtle ambience (a short room reverb or even delay) as an FX send would help gel everything together nicely. Don't hold back on the compression.

EDIT: Everything Cavalcade said was spot on. Pay attention, young Padawan

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
unmasked.music

Thanks for more tips! I used the virtual drums for this recording due to horrible results from my acoustic set. This recording was done by me alone as an experiment and the next recording will introduce the rest of the band.... Does anyone have experience with recording an electronic drumset via USB, as the drummer claims it will yield great results.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
john.hoos.3

Hi. One point - for a first recording, thats not too bad!. Similar to the above, you really need a bass in there.

Were the guitar tracks done with the same guitar sound/setup ? Sounds like it because at numerous points in the song it sort of turns into an overall fuzz. If you have multiple guitars, especially if it is multiple rhythm tracks, then give them different sounds/EQ so atleast they are not occupying the same part of the sound spectrum. Also I would take a good look at one of the guitar parts in particular, the last one you can hear on the song. As it seems fairly bland and thick, its probably interfering with the other one quite a bit. As a first, it might be an idea to replace it with a bass line, to see what difference that makes. Would give the bass thats needed and then give more clarity to the other guitar part(s).

The drums could do with more variations, fills and/or changes - especially that rapid snare fill that repeats quite a lot (ie, the one at 25secs) - cut those down in number.

From a song writing point of view, I thought this was fairly decent for a metal song - I found it fairly listenable, with decent melodies in there - which is saying something as I would not listen to that type of metal normally. Although to be honest, I cant even hear what the vocals are trying to say - need to do soemthing to clarify those, but I dont know what. Just a thought - what would it sound like if the vocals were actually sung normally with some melody in there ?

Anyway, hope that helps !
john.hoos.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
unmasked.music

Yes they were haha.. There is no EQ on anything in this recording, but I feel like I have learned a lot already. With the next recording I will only only be in charge of one of the guitars and vocals, not to mention the overall sound of the next recording should be better with what I've learned.

Rate This Thread: