Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

My Band's Genre (Why the fudge is it so difficult to categorize!)

So bear with me, this is a seemingly simple question to anyone who isn't a metalhead, but I'll give you as much help as I can.

I'm a guitarist and my my girl is a singer who's learning bass. We haven't started recording anything yet since she's still learning. Anyway, last night when we were planning out our band plans, she asked "What exactly is the genre we'll be playing?"

My reaction was "durr hurr durr" All I know is that we want an ethereal yet heavy sound. (just read the influences in bold print if this is tl;dr)

Well all we have are the instruments we want...:
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keys, Violin

...and names of our influences:
Nightwish (keys/drums/guitar/image), Muse (bass/drums), Ben Moody (the basis for all my music, just a tad more complicated), and Gretchen (guitar/bass)

So far, the plan for most of the compositions are having the guitar and keys play the harmony underneath the melody of the violin.
We are still debating the role of the bass as a harmonic element or a rhythmic, though the drums will cover the rhythm with heavy use of the toms.
We'll be making extensive use of the major scale, natural minor scale, the Lydian mode, and Phrygian mode. Gonna try to avoid the pentatonic scales (but we know em)
The vocal style will be more like Gretchen's and attempting to avoid the name "Amy Lee Clone" though my girl takes a few cues from Amy Lee as well.

I'm just tryna figure out our genre or which ballpark we are in so I hope this all has helped you to help me.

~Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Why are you even bothering trying to categorize your music before you've even played anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Your band is hard to categorise because it has no music. I would argue that you have no genre.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Oh and here's some Gretchen for the vast majority of ppl who don't know (#hipster lol jk) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...tpVQCUhamrvucMR

and inb4 "Genres don't matter, just be yourself, labels suck!!!!!!1!!11111!!"
Well we gotta let our future fan hopefuls know what we do and who we sound like to an extent. Yes we're gonna be our own unique band and do our own unique thing. But how many times have you heard that only to be met not having the slightest idea of what you're in for so ending up with mediocrity and unoriginality?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

So basically you want to tell people that youre some supercool genre, have no songs, and by the time you write songs they probably won't be in that genre.

Put more time into finding your other band members.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

I think you're over thinking this. Make music. Go from there.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
Why are you even bothering trying to categorize your music before you've even played anything?

Well I didn't take that into account to be honest heh...well I have written stuff and we go by the concept that all modern songs have started on a keyboard/guitar, and a voice. Both of which we have done so we do have music, w just don't have the means of recording just yet. I would assume that I can find a song from a band you all know so I can give you an idea.

Then again, if you could just tell me the genre that these bands are, I could be well equipped in determining our own genre:

Ben Moody (early Evanescence and We Are The Fallen)
Gretchen
Muse (probably the easiest one to aim)

Being that Muse is easier to find, I'd think it's safe to say a good number of female fronted bands are tough to pinpoint, or even get a general idea.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Mate get off it. You're currently a duo so I will guess that you play folk or pop music.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

You keep listing bands but those could be combined into many different sounds. Get your band, refine your sound, then worry about genre. Genre is just a categorization. Worry about getting the sound you want.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
So basically you want to tell people that youre some supercool genre, have no songs, and by the time you write songs they probably won't be in that genre.

Put more time into finding your other band members.

Not even (Sorry, I kinda type slow...failed that class heh). We already have our sound but we just don't know how to define it. If it''s too tough we'll just say female fronted rock but we are just preparing a few years in advance.

We don't really plan on any other permanent members (though it may be a possibility) and we have a drummer buddy who helps cos I'm never using a drum machine...at least not now XD. I've studied violins and started throwing in some lines on guitar and keyboard to voice it like it so I don't get any false expectations. I could go on ig.

Basically, we have our sound, not any money

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
You keep listing bands but those could be combined into many different sounds. Get your band, refine your sound, then worry about genre. Genre is just a categorization. Worry about getting the sound you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Mate get off it. You're currently a duo so I will guess that you play folk or pop music.

yeah you guys actualy made sense...I'll just tell her we'll think of that later...But I will be back with some example of our music eventually anyways, thanks

oh and Alan...sheesh dude, hostility? Just tryna find some answers

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

He wasn't being hostile. You're looking for answers yet giving nothing to work with. A genre with no sound, a sound with no recordings.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

When someone says "get off it" I kinda sense hostility...then again, this is the internet But I'll find a cheap way to post up the sound as soon as possible since I can play 3 of the instruments we need and she can sing already. But I see what you guys are saying, I actually agree.

Though defining the genres of the bands I listed, barring Nightwish, would help us a lot.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
sweetdude3000

Just try to find a common thread of the genres from your influences and call it that.

What genre is system of a down? They are some armenian guys who borrow the armenian folk melodies, play down tuned guitars and have an interesting vocalist. Would they be armenian metal or pop or rock?

It doesn't matter what you call it.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_wearing
When someone says "get off it" I kinda sense hostility...then again, this is the internet But I'll find a cheap way to post up the sound as soon as possible since I can play 3 of the instruments we need and she can sing already. But I see what you guys are saying, I actually agree.

Though defining the genres of the bands I listed, barring Nightwish, would help us a lot.

Do these bands not have listed genres already? Their websites, Wikipedia, companies that sell music. You don't really need to ask these questions.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Just try to find a common thread of the genres from your influences and call it that.

What genre is system of a down? They are some armenian guys who borrow the armenian folk melodies, play down tuned guitars and have an interesting vocalist. Would they be armenian metal or pop or rock?

It doesn't matter what you call it.

Didn't think of that. Gretchen for example is hard to classify, but they call themselves Happy-Melodic-Gothic-Chick-Rock. Thanks

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ They obviously don't care what genre they are.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
sweetdude3000

Those other bands are pretty much gothic metal so that or gothic rock.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Alan, heheh yeah that's true

sweetdude...I feel weird saying your name (o_o) lol seems sensible. I've even heard "chamber pop" to define Evanescence as well. No idea what that is though heh

Anyway guys, thanks for the help.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I actually disagree with anyone saying write the songs then worry about the genre. I was in this same position two years ago, just me and a female singer trying to get a band sorted, and at the start, we knew we wanted to make Symphonic Metal, so we actively pursued that sound, and we recorded the songs we wrote. The demo we recorded got many positive reviews, and we're set to record our first proper release very soon, and we have quite a lot of people eagerly awaiting it, so planning your genre and image is something every band must do if they're serious. To me, there's nothing worse than seeing 'Jazzy Pop-Punkcore' or 'Alternative Thrash Metal' on their facebook page, to me, that just says 'Everyone in our band likes different music and has a hand in our songwriting process', and that's rarely good.

More on topic, I'd say Gothic Rock is the genre for you. A single violin will give off a very different sound to a full string orchestra, and with keys, I could imagine a very dark, moody sound, it may be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love to see a female fronted My Dying Bride.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: