Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
dkishishev

Smile New Jackson RR Guitar?

Hello, I've decided on going for a new jackson rrxmg, and i've been browsing websites and found a rrmg (pro-series) for 150 higher than the X-series here . Rrxmg here .
Differences as far as i can see are that body is alder instead of basswood, it has 22 frets instead of 24, and the fretboard is ebony not rosewood. Pickups and floyd rose are the same, so i wonder if it would be worthwile on getting the pro series one as opposed to the x-series. I prefer the pin-stripe SW finish on the x, but if the difference is large, then i'll settle for grey. As far as i know pro-series are manufactured in japan and x and js in india, so maybe overall quality is different? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dkishishev : 07-22-2013 at 07:21 AM.
dkishishev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
brett.endsley

well basswood is better if your going to try to shred and alder sounds like maple wood if you've had any experience with either. and rose wood is also goes well with the basswood in a shredder sense. Really the only thing that would change between those is the tone which isn't very noticeable. And as with the japan and india stuff. Ive never had a guitar from india but ive had a few from japan and I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine that I have had from japan.Scratch that my knob i got from a japan made epiphone was wobbly and increasingly got worse. easy fix though nothing major i just put some tape on the inside of the knob. although it will need replaced eventually.
heres a article about wood seeing thats really all it looks like your deciding on.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article...-tonewoods/6502

Last edited by brett.endsley : 07-22-2013 at 08:03 AM.
brett.endsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I would strongly suggest you avoid musicstore.

You can also get new old stock RR pros which were made in japan if you shop around. that's what i'd do. EDIT: the new pro series, which those are, are no longer made in japan. Hence my suggestion for getting an older one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.endsley
well basswood is better if your going to try to shred and alder sounds like maple wood if you've had any experience with either. and rose wood is also goes well with the basswood in a shredder sense.

disagree- that's all opinion at best, and flat-out wrong at worst.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The bridges are not the same. The RRMG Pro has an FRT-X000, the RRXMG has an FR Special.

That's the end of the discussion right there about which one is better.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that too

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
dkishishev

Hmm, you mean like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-R...=item1c34ae6604
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-R...=item43bdf678ec ??
Also, i'm not planning to order from musicstore atm. I didn't ask which was better, i asked which would be better value and as such if the extra 150 would be worthwile, as pro series are slightly more expensive, with a few better features. Also while I'm at it, where do you think the best place to order this to the uk is?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I would say the best place is somewhere that still has one of the japanese ones. As such, your choice will be limited. GAK still has a couple- I've never bought any guitars from them, but I was very impressed by their service when i bought some amps from them and stuff went wrong.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-rr3...ess-swirl/16323

Absolute has a couple too- never bought from them, so I dunno what they're like, but they have some of the better neck-thru ones with the better tremolo. if you can stretch to them you probably should, kind of thing.

http://shop.absolute-guitars.co.uk/...-blue-247-p.asp (that one's a hardtail)

http://shop.absolute-guitars.co.uk/...black-146-p.asp

that's not an exhaustive list, there may well be more shops which still have stock. those are just ones i know off the top of my head.

EDIT: yeah those two you linked to seem to be japanese, but obviously to a certain extent you're taking the seller's word for it (unless you get really good pics). I think they are judging by the looks and the trem, but i'd want better pics to be sure.

As i said, though, they can still be got new (or more accurately, "new old stock" since they've been discontinued for a while), if you want to go new.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-22-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
dkishishev

Thanks a bunch, might order from one of those sites. Specs seem good, but one thing i noticed is that all of the pro-series guitars here were with passive duncan pickups, while the x-series ones were with an EMG 81-85 combo. Will this affect the sound in any way, as i've heard active pickups are better for metal playing and such.
Otherwise, prices seem about the same for both guitar models, so i might as well get the RR3...
Thanks for taking the time to search for all that, much appreciated
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

No worries I didn't have to search, I was already aware of those guitars

It's probably worth pointing out that the tremolo on the RR3 isn't as good as the FRT-x000 on the neck-thru japanese ones (or on the RRMG). At some point you'd ideally want to swap it for an OFR, schaller lockmeister or something like that. From what I hear, they should be a direct swap, but I haven't tried it myself, so that's no guarantee! Also, you're probably talking 130+, so that's worth bearing in mind. The neck-thru one might be better value (though it's also worth pointing out that the korean-made FRT-x000 tremolo isn't as good as the german-made OFR or lockmeister either).

yeah the pickups will affect the tone. Those duncans are more all-rounders that'll do metal, rather than the EMGs which are geared towards metal as you rightly say.

I'd rather have a better guitar. You can always swap the pickups later if you really care (though like the tremolo, it'll cost money and might not be worth it, so if you really have your heart set on EMGs, that'd be worth bearing in mind).

Some of the Japanese Jacksons did have EMGs- I can't remember if any of the RRs did (I have a feeling the RR24 did, but then it had no neck pickup ), but the big problem is the fact that they've been discontinued so you're kinda stuck with what shops still have (and also it's probably worth warning that, depending on how long they've had them, they might not be in 100% brand new pristine condition).

yahoo is actually pretty good for searching online stores' stock. You can type in the guitar model name and then limit the searches to those within the UK, so with any luck you don't have to look through 500 pages of results, lol. That's how I normally find guitars for sale that I'm interested in, lol.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-23-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
dkishishev

Well I tried the yahoo search thing, and i'm thinking from ordering from one of these sites :
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...lack-bevels.asp
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...-pinstripes.asp
http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Jac...SN-291-4312-569
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/elect...roduct-overview
OR one of the ones i mentioned before.
Idk which site would be best, but i think i'll get one of these newer models with EMG's. I think they're the made in usa ones, but again no clarity as of yet. Suggestions would be great
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

The Pro Series Jacksons are made in either Mexico or Indonesia. USA Select series Rhoads (RR1s) are quite expensive ($2900ish).
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah. unless you get a new old stock japanese one. But yeah you're not getting a USA jackson for much under 1500 unless you get a killer deal. GAK had a few really good prices on USA jacksons recently for some reason. But normal pricing is 2000+.

If you're willing to go to well over 600 for those indonesian ones i'd just get that hardtail RR5 I linked to (unless you desperately need a floyd rose).

Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

^I played one of the new Pro Dinkies. Seriously pretty nice guitars. I prefer my MIJ DK2m but the Mexican ones have much nicer feeling necks. Oiled necks are greatest necks.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
dkishishev

USA jacksons are way too expensive for my level. Although I have the ability to buy one, say for example http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-usa...snakeskin/84686 , I don't think that is necessary as this IS in fact my second guitar.
I think i'll go with the rr3 from GAK which you suggested in the first place (http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-rr3...ss-swirl/16323), Reasonable price and has features I want. Just need to find a case, and i can get it delivered off a friend from the uk by 2 weeks (as I'm spending the summer back home).
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

as I said, bear the tremolo thing in mind (the jt580LP is a bit meh, and really ideally needs to be upgraded if you're a big trem user).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
^I played one of the new Pro Dinkies. Seriously pretty nice guitars. I prefer my MIJ DK2m but the Mexican ones have much nicer feeling necks. Oiled necks are greatest necks.

oh right they're oiled, are they? yeah oil is pretty nice. But yeah the bolt-ons are MIM and may well be worth considering- but he's looking at the RRs which are neck-thru (i think) and which aren't MIM (again, I think ).

Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
dkishishev

I haven't actually been much of a fan of tremolos as my last guitar had a really rubbish one, but it was still essential for a few songs, so it's one of those "doesn't hurt to have" kinda things. Read that the JT580 is decent enough, and if I don't like it it should be cake to replace it with an OFR. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries

since you're in the UK the schaller lockmeister (on thomann) should be a fair bit cheaper than an OFR. From what I hear it's an OFR with the schaller stamp on it (schaller makes the OFR).

Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
dkishishev

Seems to be up to 150, which is cheaper than the OFR's on sale (200+), But I can get a new amp for that kinda money (selling my old one to a friend anyway).
And weirdly enough, they do orders to bulgaria, i thought i'd have to order to UK and then get someone to send it over. Seems like i'm getting a new guitar a week from now
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh yeah i mean the stock trem will do until it dies or until you have more money. if you need an amp then you should get that before upgrading the trem.

also i have a vague recollection that thomann only does the lockmeister with the 42mm locking nut, for some reason. Don't quote me on this, but I suspect you'd need the one with the 43mm nut (and confusingly i think there are a couple of different ones for each nut with, to allow for different string spacing... i'm not sure which you need ). I'm sure they could get it for you if you ever did need it, but again it's worth bearing in mind...

Rate This Thread: