Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
metalcranium

Schecter c-1 hellraiser

does anyone have experience with this guitar? I was wondering how the quality is they certainly have good features any information would be helpful
metalcranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
HardAttack
Head Injury

Schecter in general is a great company, I own a C1 myself. I started out with a Epiphone Les Paul and moved to the Schecter because it had a 25.5" scale, a thinner neck and different pickups and was better geared towards metal as opposed to being all purpose with thick neck, general purpose pickups and a heavy body like my Les Paul. You can get good cleans with a Schecter, but the Hellraiser and Damien series are meant for Metal if that's what your aim is. The Hellraiser is the classier version with a glued neck instead of a bolt on like the Damien, and it has active EMG pickups instead of passive ones like the Damien. The Hellraiser's color scheme is the same except it has an abalone binding and the neck is usually the same color as the body. It also has another volume knob as I remember it, I haven't laid hands on a Hellraiser in a couple of years.

At this point, I don't think I'd buy a different brand of guitar if I was going for a 6-string electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diditfortehlulz
That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkymanmatt
brilliant

Last edited by HardAttack : 07-22-2013 at 11:25 PM.
HardAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I get the feeling that - compared to LTDs - the Schecters give you more features and specs on paper, at the expense of some attention to quality and detail on the guitar itself.

Every Schecter I've held just feels kind of cheap to me, whereas LTDs generally feel like quality instruments.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I get the feeling that - compared to LTDs - the Schecters give you more features and specs on paper, at the expense of some attention to quality and detail on the guitar itself.

Every Schecter I've held just feels kind of cheap to me, whereas LTDs generally feel like quality instruments.

I thought the MIK ones were made in the same factory.

HardAttack, I have the 7-string versions of the HellRaiser. They've been pretty solid; but, prepare for an Abalone OD.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
jpnyc

Quote:

ESP’s LTD line and Schecter’s Korean guitars are made in the same factory using the same parts. Even some of the body shapes and neck profiles are the same. Both companies are owned by the same guy.

Korean Schecter guitars are excellent. In terms of build quality and finishing they’re comparable to one of those rare Gibson guitars that has good fretwork and a properly cut net. Schecter does tend to pick much lighter pieces of body wood than the American manufacturers. If you’re buying in the USA you usually won’t find a better deal for the money.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
samuraigoomba

I'm going to have to disagree that there isn't a better deal for the money in the USA. There are so ridiculously many guitars used and new that are a great deal for the cash right now. I'm talking used Carvin custom guitars around $500 (new Carvins for 800), Reverends for $400, legit Godins as cheap as $200, and let's not forget vintage MIJ Ibanez, Hamer and the like. Schecters seem a little overpriced and ubiquitous in my area. I also don't care for the superstrat look they have, especially with that fatass bolt-on neck the cheap ones sport.

The Schecters I have played were unimpressive. However, I did not play the top of the line, I played mid-shelf to bottom-shelf. For the cash, the cheaper Omens are pretty decent, however I only say that because they're so incredibly cheap and sturdy. The C-1 guitars I played were average, imo, but I didn't play the expensive ones. If there's a Schecter model in the same price range that you think tops the LTD 1000 line, I'd be very interested in hearing about it so I can do some "schecter guitar research."

I'm also not a fan of active pickups. To me, an active pickup is not an "upgrade" from passive pickups, it's just different. So I don't know why they put EMGs in all their mid-range guitars. I do know they tend to use EMGs or "Duncan Designed" instead of Seymour Duncan pickups.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:

You know, I actually get that.

That is NOT to say that the Schecters are not good instruments, however!
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Patrick89

I partially agree with the above posts. But only a little bit.

When I bought my C-1 custom I went to a store that had a lot of schecters and I've tried a lot of them. The Omen and Damien series are decent guitars but nothing to write home about. The custom series and hellraisers that I tried were a lot better. The vast majority of these guitars felt really sturdy and were of good build quality. In this range you also have the Ultra-acces heel which grants great upper fret acces opposed to the lower range schecters. However, Not every schecter felt as good. I remember one C-1 Blackjack SLS that I tried and it felt like a toy in my hands. Absolutely nothing like my C-1 and some of the hellraisers. It was build well, but the feel was just not right.

So, IMO schecters are great guitars but I've found that sometimes there is one in between that is just not worth it. Therefore the ultimate cliche, try before you buy. If you buy online and get a dud, you won't be happy with the brand while they really do make amazing guitars for the price which you won't regret buying.
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal

Last edited by Patrick89 : 07-23-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Patrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

I've tried Hellraiser C-1 a couple of times. It seemed like a good guitar.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
metalcranium

Thats for all the information i know that no one can make my decision for me but thank you for the extra information
metalcranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I thought the MIK ones were made in the same factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc

ESP’s LTD line and Schecter’s Korean guitars are made in the same factory using the same parts. Even some of the body shapes and neck profiles are the same. Both companies are owned by the same guy.

Yes, I am very well aware of their ownership and that they are made in the same place.

I was simply stating my experience. I'm not trying to pass off my opinions or experiences as fact, just adding to the discussion.

Anyway, just because they are made in the same factory doesn't mean anything in relation to the things I pointed out. They are still two different products. I'm sure they have two different sets of instructions.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 07-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
J_W

The hellraisers have fat necks, even compared to my older C-1 and especially compared to my Ibanez. Other than that, they are solid guitars.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Patrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
The hellraisers have fat necks, even compared to my older C-1 and especially compared to my Ibanez. Other than that, they are solid guitars.

I wouldn't call it "fat" they are a bit chunkier, but definately not like a 50's gibson or so...
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Patrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
Chevywizz

It is a great guitar.
Chevywizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
MightySumo
I love lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
If there's a Schecter model in the same price range that you think tops the LTD 1000 line, I'd be very interested in hearing about it so I can do some "schecter guitar research."

Did you just...
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
danvwman

You can get mint C1 Elites and S1 elites in my area used in the $250-350 range, with a hard case too. IMHO these are better than a ltd 1000.

Its crazy how cheap you can get good used ones for. They should be going for more but it seems the people selling them are always hard up for the cash. I never really see LTDs going up used as much and they always are listed for more....I don't get it.

On a side note I just picked up a Dean Dime ML Shadow with the OHSC for $200 unplayed/ mint absolutely no fretwear only bummer is the dude tried to remove the "DIME" from the headstock. Deans are another guitar going for super cheap used now too.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
samuraigoomba

My area is chock full of MIM fender guitars and some danelectro/airline stuff. Most of the Schecters up on CL are overpriced mid-range models with floyd rose trems and active pickups. Just not my bag.

The Tempest Custom does look cool, though.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick89
I wouldn't call it "fat" they are a bit chunkier, but definately not like a 50's gibson or so...

I'm used to my wizard prestige neck, so to me it's fat. Even my LTD Thin U neck feels chunky now. I might just be ruined.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: