Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
apolit

Help Identifying Ibanez guitar

Awhile back, I inherited an Ibanez S from my cousin who's moved on to better things in his life guitar-wise. It's been gathering dust for awhile now and I'm curious to find out more about it. I believe it was made in 1993 and has an original Wizard neck, but that's about all I know about it. Can someone help me identify the model and give me some more clarification on this guitar?

Also, it needs some locking nuts and a trem bar, where can I find these parts online? My local shops don't carry these parts, unfortunately..

guitar by stupidphotoguy, on Flickr

Thanks!
apolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
apolit

Doesn't look like I can upload anything due to file restrictions and url forbiddenness!!
I tried uploading photos in the approved size/format, but the size restriction kept getting smaller and smaller until lightroom literally told me it wouldn't be able to make a picture that small.. weird.

The link is "flickr dot com slash stupidphotoguy", they should be the very first 5 or 6 photos there if you care to check that out.

Last edited by apolit : 07-24-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Danitarium
Giggle Box

Well it's definitely a 93, made in March. Maybe a S540?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

KH-202 Rebuild
Swirled Alvarez Strat

ESP M-I NTB
LTD KH-202
Alvarez H/H Strat
Taylor 410ce
Peavey Valveking 100 & Windsor cab
Danitarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah looks to be 1993 (the 3 at the start of the serial number)

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary...at_id=202&now=8

according to that, it looks like an s540 LTD. Looks like the neck (paf pro maybe?) and middle pickup have been replaced.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
apolit

Thanks for the reply. That looks like the exact guitar! I'll start googling up what the specs on it are, thanks again!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries

the specs are in that link i posted (in the little box at the bottom right)

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S540

or the specs there seem close enough (aside from the rosewood fretboard).

Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
apolit

Talking

Yeah, great eye you have! The neck is a Dimarzio 151 Paf Pro and the bridge I already took out, it was another Dimarzio that I forgot the model number to... Whoever replaced the pickups originally decided that a bridge pu should really go in the neck position and vice versa

Not certain about the middle pu however, looks stock to me, but then again, I didn't really notice weather it was aftermarket or not. Thanks for pointing that out, it definitely merits some investigation.

Either way, I'm thinking that some Gravity Storms should be making their way into this little monster by friday, what do you think? Good marriage on this axe?

Last edited by apolit : 07-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i haven't tried the gravity storms

i was just going by the fact that the stock single coil seemed to have some writing on it, and yours doesn't. that's why i thought it wasn't stock.

you can use paf pros in both neck and bridge if you wish (though maybe that's not what you meant, maybe they had a paf pro in the bridge and a tone zone in the neck or something like that, which i agree is silly )

Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Looks to me like the tremolo and tuners had been switched out too? The tuners are definitely satin chrome, which can't be stock as none of the other hardware is satin chrome. I don't remember Ibanez tremolos having "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" either but then I wasn't even born in 1993, so that could be genuine

Edit: I also notice the old screw holes form where the previous tuners would have been.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Good eye on the tuners. I can't believe I didn't notice that. It looks like whoever had it didn't like the locking nut and put locking tuners on it instead. I'd put the locking nut back on (you can leave the locking tuners, they won't do any harm).

The trem is fine, the older pre-edge pro ibanez trems had "licensed under floyd rose patents" on them. that's a lo-pro edge ok.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
DarthV

I looked at your flikr site and didn't see any sabers, did you remove the pics?
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: