Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Drausin

Rhythm guitar or bass? Please help me out

Hey all, I've been playing guitar for about three years now. My chord transitions and knowledge are pretty good, but I have no real interest in learning any lead stuff. In fact, I've recently discovered how much I like rhythmic elements of music. I sing pretty well, so I want to join a band with my voice and a rhythmic rock instrument, so rhythm guitar and bass seem like my two best options. I can't decide which one I want to do.

My main goal is to meet new people, have fun and jam with a full band while also being self-expressive. I'd also like to sing lead or back up and write lyrics.

Which one do you find more fun? Is one role more in-demand than the other? Can you see one being a better match for me than the other? FYI, I'd like to play modern rock (alternative to metal), but I also want to dabble in pop and potentially indie and jazz.

Thanks so much in advance!
Drausin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
johnnykbop

Take rhythm guitar and you can always downgrade to rock bass later

(Just kidding bassists, you're alright!)
johnnykbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Why are you asking other people what they find fun instead of yourself? Do you enjoy playing rhythmic passages on guitar more than you enjoy listening to bass playing?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Drausin

Morph, to be honest I'm really bad at making these decisions and I don't have a lot of experience on either rhythm guitar or bass. I just wanted to hear about experiences from people who have done both for a while.
Drausin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
mr.sexytime

Its easier to play guitar and sing simultaneously than it is to play bass and sing. IMO anyway.
mr.sexytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Both have advantages. I like playing both. They have a bit different roles and different stuff works better for bass or rhythm guitar. Do you already have a guitar and a bass or just a guitar? If you only have a guitar at the moment, I think it would be easiest to just play the guitar (unless you want to spend some money on bass). Though it may be easier to find a band as a bassist.

But yeah, do what you want to do.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
cdgraves

Which guitars are for rhythm? Last I checked most guitars are about the same and every player needs rhythm...

but seriously, "rhythm guitar" isn't like Guitar Jr. Being an effective rhythm player takes just as much practice as learning to shred, and it's actually a far more useful skill.

Bass is also a universe apart from guitar, and getting good at it isn't a walk in the park just because it has 2 fewer strings.

"Rhythm guitar" and Bass are as different as Wheat Thins and smoked salmon.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Dave's not here

I've played both... I'd still like to pick up a cheap bass to muck around.

but as it was said... you might be able to find a band needing a bassist more than guitarist.
Dave's not here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I'm planning on switching from guitar to bass too, but there was no reason for you to post this in two different forums.

but honestly you got the best response in the bass forum

Last edited by Kytokinesis : 07-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
British_Steal
UG Member

Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
A good bass player is tough to find

but make sure thats where your interests truly lie.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

How could you play guitar for 3 years and not know whether you like rhythm, but know you don't like lead. You should be able to do both at least at a basic level by now.

Bass is a very different instrument to guitar. Try it out and see if you like it.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drausin
Hey all, I've been playing guitar for about three years now. My chord transitions and knowledge are pretty good, but I have no real interest in learning any lead stuff. In fact, I've recently discovered how much I like rhythmic elements of music. I sing pretty well, so I want to join a band with my voice and a rhythmic rock instrument, so rhythm guitar and bass seem like my two best options. I can't decide which one I want to do.

My main goal is to meet new people, have fun and jam with a full band while also being self-expressive. I'd also like to sing lead or back up and write lyrics.

Which one do you find more fun? Is one role more in-demand than the other? Can you see one being a better match for me than the other? FYI, I'd like to play modern rock (alternative to metal), but I also want to dabble in pop and potentially indie and jazz.

Thanks so much in advance!

i got better at rhythm when i got better at lead. rhythm playing isn't JUST chords i hope you know. if you want to focus on vocals though, rhythm guitar is easier to sing and do at the same time. singing and playing bass, ACTUALLY playing bass with real lines, not just playing the root notes in time, AND singing takes some practice. guitar takes time to do that to, but you've been playing it for 3 years already so it wont be as hard.

or look at it this way, why limit yourself at all? i play guitar, bass, piano, drums, harmonica, mandolin, sing and write. i'm working on an album from home so i'm also my own recording engineer and producer. david bowie and stevie wonder are big heroes of mine and they play most of the stuff on their album. hendrix is another who played multiple things and on his albums he sings, plays guitar, bass on select songs like all along the watchtower and some piano as well. that kind of attitude always inspired me to do the same. i couldn't find people to make all the music i want to make so i just learned how to make it all myself.

now i get that's probably the total opposite of what you want to do, but my point is there is no real reason to choose one over the other. no reason why you can't do both. a lot of bass players also play some guitar and a lot of guitarists play bass too. guitar is a little better for songwriting because of it's range and chords and rhythmic ability so again if you really want to focus on vocals and don't have any interest in leads and all that, then i'd just stick to rhythm. i saw billy idol a while back and he played guitar on some songs, nothing special but he got it out. they usually had him pretty low in the mix so that he can drop out and focus on singing when he wants. maybe you could do the same. depending on the song you might just want an acoustic set low in the mix.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

The thing is, you already know rhythm guitar. People think you can just pick up bass like that *snaps fingers*, if you've played guitar. Nope. You'll be on the bottom of the rung as far as bass is concerned. So, if you're willing to learn bass, go for it. I'd recommend you stick with rhythm guitar though.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: