Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Return of the Living Black Flag

As most of you may have heard, Black Flag has reformed with Greg Ginn and Ron Reyes (while Keith Morris, Dukowski, and Dez tour under the FLAG moniker) and they've released two new songs from their upcoming untitled album (supposedly coming out later this year?).

The new songs are Down in the Dirt and the Chase.

The question, is what do you guys think of the return of Black Flag? Should Greg Ginn really have brought the band back to life? Is Ron Reyes really the right vocalist to be fronting Black Flag after all these years? Are these songs horrible or great? Why is the production quality still so crappy with recording technology as advanced as it is these days?

Thoughts?
MattTheArsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
n.grecs

Gregg Ginn is one of my favorite guitarists, so I'm not opposed to him putting out new stuff. As for Ron Reyes, I don't think he would be the best purely because he quit mid show. His vocal style now reminds me of Danzig at some points (which isn't a bad thing).

And with the quality, they probably did that because that's how it was back then and IMO it fits the band. You can't have a hardcore punk band with good quality, that just doesn't work.

Really diggin The Chase, though. That's some good music there
n.grecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
pavnick91
UG Newbie

Black Flag is bad for kids in syarcuse haha
pavnick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

The songs themselves are okay. Not the best they've ever done but it's a hell of a lot better than I'd expect from Ginn considering his abysmal output of late.

The production quality is horrible because Greg Ginn doesn't know what the **** he's doing behind a mixing desk.

It doesn't matter whether or not it's "right" for Ronnie to be at the mic these days because every other Black Flag alumni hates Ginn's guts for screwing them out of nearly four decades worth of royalties and generally being a grade-A douchebag while the band was still together.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

I don't really like reformed Black Flag, I think that Greg was great early on, the later stuff is too hit-or-miss and the vast majority of his solo output is unlistenable.

I'm not advocating Flag either though. The only good thing Keith's done since his stint in Black Flag was Midget Handjob, I don't care for the circle jerks and Off! was pretty bad also. Worse still, Flag's lineup includes Dez Cadena and Dez Cadena is a hack and should be killed.

Black Flag really captured that post-adolescent anger with the world, better than anything else I think and no offense to them but middle aged guys aren't going to be able to recreate that.

Slightly unrelated but the most interesting thing Black Flag related to come out in the last few years for me was Kira's 2-bass project with Mike Watt. Sh*t was soo ca$h.
BrianApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Dos was a bad-ass project. I always really enjoyed their music.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
axeslash
I got no learnin'

That album art man. Clearly an indication that a lot of care was put into this album.

EDIT: I don't know if I'm super stupid or super punk but I didn't realize Ron Reyes was Chavo Pederast from Jealous Again.

Well guess I'll have to listen to it now.

Last edited by axeslash : 08-07-2014 at 06:15 PM.
axeslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

It's not worth it
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
axeslash
I got no learnin'

Still gonna do it. Just because something is a bad idea doesn't mean I shouldn't do it.

And its that kind of thinking that got me where I am today.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker

As much as I hate the fact that they're dredging up Black Flag from the graveyard, The Chase really got me going in a great way. Personally pretty glad it's not Henry Rollins fronting it, I think he knows when not to beat a dead horse (hah yeah right).
misfitsdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
the glue man
beep

Wish there could be a hardcore punk version of the Big Four concerts (or whatever it's called) with Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer. But instead, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, the Adolcescents... Yeaaaaah....

RECAÍDA

TUMBLR
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Don't know if anyone's heard, but Ron Reyes got kicked out of the band and Mike Vallely is officially the 5th vocalist of Black Flag.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
axeslash
I got no learnin'

Holy hell speak of the living dead its misfitsdisciple when did you get back here?

Rate This Thread: