Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
matthewzguitarz

Need new artists to listen to?

Also need a new genre..

Anyways, I can barely listen to the music on my Ipod Touch anymore, usually end up stopping after a few minutes. I mostly listen to contemporary Christian music because that is like all my parents have, but I do listen to some hip-hop by Lindsey Stirling.

I really need new artists to listen to, and a genre other than Christian. Any ideas? I also don't like music filled with cussing, like I am fine with some cussing here and there, but not like Nicki Minaj or whatever her name is. I am starting to like rap and hip-hop, and have always liked pop. Also like dubstep and gothic metal, don't really like rock anymore, got old after a few minutes in my dad's car(he listens to rock and heavy metal, kind of made me not like it so much).

Any ideas?
matthewzguitarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
tobbenygard

Try listening to some music that isn't centered around heavy guitar riffs. I love modern fusion jazz that more oft than not has no vocals, only keyboards or piano as the soloist's instrument.

Billy Cobham's album Spectrum is awesome, it contains many songs that I listen to almost on a daily basis. Hiromi Uehara's "Now or never" is a great piece with her on the piano, Anthony Jackson playing the bass and Simon Philips on drums. Richard Bona's piece "Kalabancoro" I found just some days past, and although I don't understand a single word that he's singing I'm in love with it's theme. Michel Camilo's "Not Yet" is also a splendid piece.

The musical capability of these artists is just so inspiring, I often find my fingers itching to play those sweet themes in their songs!

However, if that isn't your cup of tea (I hope you consider the pieces I listed though) maybe you should go for something still a little less guitar centered but still kind of "rock", you could dive into the world of Pink Floyd. I wouldn't choose "Echoes" as your first Pink Floyd song to listen to, as it may scare you away (if I remember correctly it's 23 minutes long and consists mainly of wind and overtones). "Money" and "Wish you were here" aswell as "Welcome to the machine" are some great tunes.

Could I perhaps interest the mister in some 70's and 80's funk? Stevie Wonder's "Superstition", "Sir Duke", "I Wish" and "Part-time lover" are some of my favourites of his work. Also Nils Landgren Funk Unit's "Freak U" and "Walk Tall" are super awesome! His collaboration with the Finnish UMO Jazz Orchestra's fruit - the album "Supermusic" - contains some great tracks too.

And of course there's classical jazz and blues too. Search for Miles Davis - So what and go on a Youtube sidebar adventure of discovery from there!
tobbenygard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
matthewzguitarz

Thanks for the reply I actually don't listen to much music with heavy guitar in it, which is kind of weird to be honest.

One of my friends said something about electronic music, I haven't really heard of that before, but I guess it is just stuff made in FL Studio?

I am not really into rock much anymore, that was all I listened to up until now, kind of boring now. Though I still like Linkin Park and The Cranberries. I don't think I like jazz much, then again, could be good to listen to that and the blues since I am considering learning the harmonica(or the ukulele, or bass guitar... long list of instruments I want to learn).

Kind of interesting, my family has always said how bad rap is, and I have always believed that I guess. But I have actually started to enjoy rap for whatever reason, unless it talks about sex and drugs.. like most music does nowadays. But that could just be part of me trying to be myself instead of being someone else

Guess I will look around youtube until I find some good sounding music.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
matthewzguitarz

Found at least one artist to listen to. Owl City I listened to 3 of his songs on Itunes, think they were, Firefly, When Can I See You Again?, and I forgot the last one. Now just need to find one more artist to listen to so I don't go insane, and I actually own my first 2 CD's just want to start getting physical copies since in a few years I will be in college and don't want to have to come home every time I want to get music, that would suck.

Also got my inspiration back for writing music, surprised I didn't think of it sooner. Just had to take a walk, then the ideas started flowing again, and instead of being all sad and stuff, they are more upbeat. Think that is because I just decided that I shouldn't go hide in a hole for the rest of my teenage years, but instead go out and meet people.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
vilk
******ed

****ing grow a pair and listen to Meshuggah. Also christian music is gay.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
****ing grow a pair and listen to Meshuggah. Also christian music is gay.

Uh... I do admit, some Christian music is kind of bad, but.. I don't like that you just generalized that. I think to be a musician, you should respect ALL genres of music, even if you don't like it.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
matthewzguitarz

Found an artist I don't think my parents would mind me listening to, Lecrae
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
GoodCharloteSux

Flobots is an interesting situation. Very little to no cursing, violin plus rap plus rock. I believe they are Christians in a band however they are heavy politically so I'm not sure if all the content would be a agreeable but give it a shot. The song Handlebars was a hit for them. Check it out on youtube.

A great clean hip hop artist is Shad, very very good

Some other bands that keep it clean but good (in general):

American Football
Braid
Brand New
Dashboard Confesional
Further Seems Forever
Elliot Smith
Fall Out Boy
Foo Fighters
The Get Up Kids
Hey Mercedes
Iron & Wine
Jimmy Eat World
Minus The Bear
New Found Glory
Paramore
The Posies
Radiohead
Saves The Day
Taking Back Sunday
Thrice
Weezer
GoodCharloteSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
tobbenygard

If you're aspriring to play the bass I'd highly recommend you listen to some Richard Bona, Jaco Pastorius, Anthony Jackson and so forth. Many of the greatest bassists - electric bass, mind you - were in the funk scene during the 70's and 80's. Many great bass grooves are also to be found in the pop music of those decades, for example Wham!'s "Wake me up before you go-go" has a relatively easy groove but oh so magnificent fills (I've had to learn it for a gig so it popped into my mind instantly).

Also Stevie Wonders "I Wish" has an awesome bass line, it really gets you to stretch your fingers too, so it's great practice.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
matthewzguitarz

Thanks for the suggestions But now anything else would mostly be youtube until I decide to buy another album.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Out of interest... why is it so important that your parents approve of your music taste?

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Out of interest... why is it so important that your parents approve of your music taste?

I don't really know, they don't like me listening to any songs with cussing or anything like that in them, and also don't like me listening to rap(but are kind of okay with Lecrae).
Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
tobbenygard

Do you bring every piece of music that you wish to listen to before your parents for approval? I can understand that you want to be honest with them and not break their rules (assuming you are living under their roof), and that's okay to some extent, but when it's hindering your exploral and finding new awesome music, it's starting to be a problem.

If they think that music can be "ungodly" or something, please make them send me a pm!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
matthewzguitarz

It is mostly that they don't like rap(I can understand with a lot of the rap that is popular now), and songs that are full of cussing(I honestly don't like songs with more than like 3 cuss words, since I kind of think it makes me immune to those words, and I start using them more).

But, like if my friends are listening to music like that, I won't really ask for my parent's approval. If it is at my house though.. then yeah, I have to ask my parent's if it is okay, surprised she actually let my brother play Magic before, since I can kind of see that.

Though it upset me when my mom pretty much told me D&D is evil, since that is one of the things I REALLY want to play(I am really into roleplay, if I had a chance I would be actually dressing up and roleplaying).
Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
tobbenygard

This is going really off-topic, but did you ask her to elaborate? I know I wouldn't simply accept things like that without a solid explanation.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
matthewzguitarz

Nah, but I guess it might be because I used to cuss a lot, and now my older brother cusses like.. every sentence, but that could be blamed on the military.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Man, that sounds awful if I'm being honest. Kids are meant to grow apart from their parents and a little rebellion is just growth as a person. I wouldn't be able to cope with a situation like that.

Anyway, if you want rap that doesn't swear all the time, then try Aesop Rock, very cerebral and intelligent hip hop.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
sovaso
All-American Ninja

If you have it, use Spotify to get in to different types of music. I got into the Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Them Crooked Vultures, The Black Keys, Weezer, The White Stripes and so many other bands using Spotify. All of these bands are excellent too, and most are clean
sovaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Try some Conqueror from Canada
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Markshredder

Dude if you like Christian music their is this band I been listening to called CrossTie you should check them out. Super unique sound in my opinion. haha there bass player is 12! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUsZ3XULzE
Markshredder is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: