Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
ZILtoid_1991

How much difference is okay in a band?

I started to find members for my progressive melodic death metal project, but still a bit problematic. The first guitarist I found thinks my songs (especially Hatesong) are a bit too fast, and want to push the direction towards much simplier songs, and he doesn't really like the idea of multiple tunings (standard D and drop C, he only wants the latter even if his guitar has a fixed bridge). I suppose he only got the death metal part of it.

The other person so far was a bassist. A good one. Unfortunatlety he's not into death metal, but he would agreed to play with me if I played only the progressive metal part. (I like standard prog metal too, but my riffs are usually so heavy they're close to melodeath or techdeath)

But I remember my brother's old band. The bassist/vocalist mostly listened metal and RHCP, my brother the guitarist was into alternative rock with some hc punk and metal back then, the drummer was an almost all-round punk (actually the punk music he hated wasn't punk in his dictionary). This trio created a fairly original and good music, too bad they disbanded later, but because of distance, not the difference in music taste.
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Being in a band = compromise
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I actually disagree entirely, if you have a vision and good songs, you should look for the right band members. Refusing to change between Drop C and D Standard with a fixed bridge is a bit ridiculous, and if you feel that you're at your best writing progressive death, then don't bend to keep a bassist. If your songs are good, you'll attract the right members. Over here, death bands are ten a penny, so it may not be a good idea to play standard death metal, keep up the search, you're bound to find someone. I'd personally class compromise as a guitarist wanting more neoclassical influence in the music, or someone mentioning the possibility of keyboards, not changing the genre entirely.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Phil Starr

Are you sure that you aren't being a little too obsessive about genre? Death Metal is a pretty well worn groove but you have to add progressive and melodic and then add specific tunings? That's pretty much 'play it my way or no way' isn't it?

Now you may be absolutely brilliant, and genius is often someone obsessive driving things to their further limits if so then good luck to you. I hope your vision works out. More probably you are just limiting your own creativity by sticking to a narrow genre.

Look at your brothers band, all different interests but they worked together to make something good. I think musicians need challenge and open minds. The challenge of playing with a wide range of musicians will increase your musical skills and songwriting vocabulary and make your songs more interesting.

Almost no-one 'makes it' with their first band, and bands constantly change line ups anyway. If you have a bunch of musicians who you respect and get on with then I'd say go for it and see where it leads. You can always move on if it leads nowhere but you'll be a better musician just through the experience.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

If you have to be an asshole to your band members to get them to conform, so to speak, you may want to rethink things. A band is all about compromise.

Yes, the one guy refusing to retune and reset his guitar for Drop D or Drop C is kind of stupid. However, pick one tuning and stick with it. The guy shouldn't have to retune and reset his guitar for every damn song. (If you don't know that tuning between E standard to a different tuning requires one to reset the guitar to prevent warping of the guitar neck and body, then you better do some research.)

As for being heavy...that's not what actually matters. And tuning low doesn't actually make your riffs heavier. It just gives you lower notes to work with.

Fact is, you have 2 choices. Either compromise or find different band members. No matter which you choose, don't be an asshole. You're more likely to get band members (and keep them), if you're not a prima donna about it all.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
ZILtoid_1991

Sticking with tunings: My problem is basically I currently have only one guitar, also it's a cheap model due to financial reasons. Soon I'll have the opporunity for better jobs, first I need to move out (even if my parents doesn't want) and then I can find a job as a programmer in a different city (also the possibility of more members). Then with a second guitar it may not be that hard. Also I want a 7 string too.

As I still not living at the future band location, I'll continue look for members online and I'll see if I can look for members with more compatibility. Later I can look for them personally, as I can get some youngsters into newer genres if they also want (melodic death has things in common with metalcore, I got into the whole metal genre in a similar way), but this requies an open mind from the.

Also that guitarist seems to be a bit bossy... Nevermind, he doesn't have a good technical skill. But the bassist is reforming his old band but the guitarist is very questionable. Maybe I'll take that position too if my schedule allows it.
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

So your issues are:

Your guitarist plays in a tuning you don't like.

Your bassist likes "prog bass lines".

I don't understand what the issue is with the guitarist, he can still play parts that work with the songs.

As for the bassist, why doesn't he play prog bass lines under your distortion riffs.

That's even before I question why the genre must be prog melo death. Prog is meant to move throgh a lot of different styles but you want to keep it in melo death land so Im not sure why you even call it prog.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Being in a band = compromise

This.

Otherwise you're a solo artist with a backing band. If that's what you want, you need to hire them as employees rather than band members.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
flexiblemile

I think diversity in a band can cause really great things if it doesn't cause the band to fall apart. Basically it'll work if no one is too headstrong.

In my band for example I'm lead guitarist and pretty blues and alternative. The singer/other guitarist is all acoustic folk and bossa nova ish, the drummer is classically trained and loves jazz and the bassist is all punk.

Nevertheless the music is great and each style shines through. I just have to repress my urges to convince the other people to play the way I saw it in my mind and let them do their own thing
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
TheHydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexiblemile
I think diversity in a band can cause really great things if it doesn't cause the band to fall apart. Basically it'll work if no one is too headstrong.

In my band for example I'm lead guitarist and pretty blues and alternative. The singer/other guitarist is all acoustic folk and bossa nova ish, the drummer is classically trained and loves jazz and the bassist is all punk.

Nevertheless the music is great and each style shines through. I just have to repress my urges to convince the other people to play the way I saw it in my mind and let them do their own thing

That's an interesting combo. Got any recordings?
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
flexiblemile

it is an interesting combo but no recordings so far... we recently had to restructure and will start recording a demo soon. By the greatest stroke of luck, our drummer is also a professional sound engineer so hopefully we'll have something soon. This thread will probably go down soon but I'll send you a PM when we have something
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: