Search:

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
ch1ng_chung

Headphones?

So I'm stuck between 3 headphones:

Sennheiser HD 201
JVC HARX 700
Panasonic RP-HTX7

I want to know which one will give me accurate sound with natural depth.

And please don't suggest Beats by Dre, I've tried all the models and they sounded too unnaturally deep and muddy, like one of those huge podium speakers with the bass turned up on your ears.

EDIT: Also I want to be able to clearly hear the subtle things in the music, like the cowbell, piano, and pickguard scratching in Eric Johnson's Manhattan. With Beats Studio, I barely heard the piano, and couldn't hear the cowbell or pickguard hits at all.

No corksniffer here, but I just like hearing cool stuff.

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 08-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
And please don't suggest Beats by Dre, I've tried all the models and they sounded too unnaturally deep and muddy, like one of those huge podium speakers with the bass turned up on your ears.

EDIT: Also I want to be able to clearly hear the subtle things in the music, like the cowbell, piano, and pickguard scratching in Eric Johnson's Manhattan. With Beats Studio, I barely heard the piano, and couldn't hear the cowbell or pickguard hits at all.

You. You there. I like you.
I haven't actually used any of these, but I've heard good things about the HD 201s. In fact, apparently they're on my to-buy list. If someone says something different, listen to them, but this is just here for what it's worth (and it's not worth much).

Last edited by Cavalcade : 08-05-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: "Not worth music"? What? Autocorrect?
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

If it's only between those 3 then go for the Sennheiser, unless you really like the look of the Panasonic.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
terrapinturtle

look at bose head phones, i have a friend that owns a pair and they are AMAZING, they're lie 150 more or less and i incredibly natural and you can here the most subtle things with them they are incredible
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
eg341sc

Sennheiser HD 201

You cannot go wrong with Sennheiser
eg341sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Out of those, definitely Sennheiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg341sc
Sennheiser HD 201

You cannot go wrong with Sennheiser

I guess Sennheiser it is then!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

HD201s are ridiculously good headphones for £20, everyone should have a pair. Now go and make some noise.

Quote:

But don't you know they're....
The Headphones Used To Mix In Every Major Studio. Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians, and those who take sound seriously. They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended.

Beats Pro professional headphones sound so good because they put back the quality lost in modern-day file compression. That means you’re really hearing music the way it was originally heard by the artist in the studio.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

I don't know about the other headphones but the Sennheiser's have no bass.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...;]=473&scale=30
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourseNot
I don't know about the other headphones but the Sennheiser's have no bass.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...;]=473&scale=30

I noticed if you increase the dB in the graph the bass moves up quite a bit. Not really an issue, Im not the type of person who listens to dubstep with my volume set to 1
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
HD201s are ridiculously good headphones for £20, everyone should have a pair. Now go and make some noise.

But don't you know they're....
The Headphones Used To Mix In Every Major Studio. Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians, and those who take sound seriously. They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended.

Beats Pro professional headphones sound so good because they put back the quality lost in modern-day file compression. That means you’re really hearing music the way it was originally heard by the artist in the studio.

Cant tell if you're being sarcastic ,but not even Dr.Dre uses Beats to produce
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Cant tell if you're being sarcastic

Don't worry, Mr OfCourseNot, bass extension on the 201s is fine. They're reasonably light and neutral down at the rumbly end of the spectrum, which is generally a good thing for mixing.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
HeretiK538
Petrol

My HD201's are lovely for the price. Granted, they're not the best headphones you'll ever use, but for £20, they're well worth the money. As discussed, they're pretty light on the bass, but if you just make sure you listen to your mixes on something with some bass as well as them, you'll probably be fine.

Don't know if this matters to anyone else, but they're a touch quiet. Fine for mixing and stuff, but you certainly couldn't hear them over a drumkit, if you're trying to drum to a track. Can't have everything for £20, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
diabolical

You can't get the AKG K240 instead? I think they're about $100. K99 or the Audio Technica ATH-M30 if you're on a budget.
To the Bose suggestion - you don't want an overhyped sound for tracking/mixing and Bose are known to do just that, so stick to the pro audio market for headphones.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
ch1ng_chung

Are there any cheap headphones with flat response?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Are there any cheap headphones with flat response?

One of the main reasons that monitoring headphones get more and more expensive if because getting a 'flat response' is physically impossible - the law of diminishing returns comes into play.

If for some reason you don't fancy the HD201, Superlux have one or two very nice sets in that price range. The AKG K series are generally alright too.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

By the way: these (Sony MDR-ZX300) are what I've been using for the last... uh... year? Two? They're good, I guess, and they're cheap, but I've got nothing to compare them to. Does anyone else have any experience with them?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
By the way: these (Sony MDR-ZX300) are what I've been using for the last... uh... year? Two? They're good, I guess, and they're cheap, but I've got nothing to compare them to. Does anyone else have any experience with them?

Dont know about the 300s, but my sister's pair of zx100s sound very shallow and stuffy
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
curlyhead_P
?

Those Sennheisers have a reputation, so you can't go wrong with them. But if you're serious you should really be looking in the $100- $200 range. You won't get accurate headphones for less than $100. And each headphone has its own sound signature, so it's important to know what exactly you're getting. If it's just for pleasure you probably want to go with something catered to your favorite type of music. Some headphones are more suited for classical, or rock, or hip hop.

But if you're going for accuracy (like if you're mixing and mastering), then you want flat, uncolored headphones with a wide frequency response. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is the standard closed-back headphone for this application. It is an unbiased headphone that won't color the sound in any way, but it has the amount of detail you would need for mixing. It can be scored for about $110 used.

Another headphone I'd recommend is the Grado Alessando MS-1. It can be had for $100 new and is an open-back headphone. It's great for rock music as it has very pronounced upper midrange and deep, but not overwhelming, bass response. For other types of music it's not the most accurate, but when dealing with guitars it can be useful.

If it's just for pleasure then you should do some research amongst the audiophile community and find a $100 headphone that suits your musical needs, but if it's for audio production a professional closed-back headphone is a must. The ATH-M50 is a great place to start for both work and pleasure if you're unsure. I'm only saying this because it seems like you're actually serious about the quality of your listening experience.

A few general suggestions:
Beyerdynamic DT770

AKG K701

Audio-Technica ATH AD700

Grado SR80

Sony MDR-V600

Last edited by curlyhead_P : 08-10-2013 at 01:43 PM.
curlyhead_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
diabolical

The AKG K240 is a studio staple and goes at $100. Great all rounders and natural sounding headphones from anything from tracking to mixing. You'd pretty much see them in any studio you walk in to and for a reason.

The K99 also works well for mixing on lower budget, but I wouldn't rely on headphones only as you can lose perspective of the low end.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: