Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
BloodReverence

Untitled WIP - Technical Metalcore (C4C)

An untitled song that I wrote with a band member.

However, he doesn't believe the verse quite fits with the song. Looking for second opinions and any other crit that you can offer.

The Solo has yet to be written and other things may be added in certain areas.

And of course, C4C! (as long as you don't use GP6 ahaha)
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Untitled.gp5 (81.4 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by BloodReverence : 08-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
sorryatbest

i must admit...that was pretty badass! are you going to record it?
sorryatbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
BloodReverence

Thank you! And we will at one point! Our band is kinda across the province (Canada) right meow, so it'll be a bit before we can get together and do it.

Anything that you'd like me to crit for you?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

I just realized I know exactly what band you're talking about. That's awesome.

I think the verse fits, it's a nice contrast to the rest of the melodic slightly happy stuff. Man, is Michel good enough to play this stuff? I didn't even realize. This is a pretty solid song. That C# in the outro lead is kind of weird, but it's not that hard on the ears. If it was your intention to use that note, it's all good.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
amonamarthmetal

Sounds good. Whats the band called?
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
BloodReverence

https://www.facebook.com/AsNationsDivideOfficial

The band is called As Nations Divide, that's our facebook page there if you're interested man. Thanks for the positive feedback guys! If anyone needs a crit, let me know
Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Drapte

Sounds like early Threat Signal. I wouldn't post my bands tabs on here before I had recorded the tracks either btw.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Drapte

Looking at your band page. Honestly don't waste time doing what your doing. Go into the studio get everything done 100% just because you're excited you still need to control yourself. Release studio tracks no one wants to hear midi and 8bit outside of this forum. Sounds good but you're really shooting yourself in the foot with what you're doing here.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

Very nice song ! Is your band purely instrumental or is there a singer ?

The distorted bridge reminded me of a song but ... i don't know which one
Anyway I think everything fits well, a lot of technique used for something melodic, I really like this
Kafiolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
BloodReverence

@Drapte

I agree wholeheartedly, however it wasn't my decision to post MIDI stuff and it was done before I joined the band. Also, logistically speaking, we're unable to get into the studio at this point. It'll be a while before anything happens.

@Kafiolet

I'm the singer! ahaha I'm the vocalist/keyboardist for the band but I also do a bit of writing as well.

Thanks for your kind words man!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

Ha so there is one
And the guitarist would be doing some sweeping while you are singing the verses ? It may sound too much, i don't know tbh... :P
Kafiolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

I'm aware that its a thing to emulate contemporaries, but it just sounds like Northlane or Capture the Crown with more sweeps.

I'm not trying to drag you down harshly, but I listen to this song and it could've been written and performed by pretty much any other metalcore band. Where's the edge? is basically what I'm saying.

I dare you to write a song in Dorian, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
BloodReverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I'm aware that its a thing to emulate contemporaries, but it just sounds like Northlane or Capture the Crown with more sweeps.

I'm not trying to drag you down harshly, but I listen to this song and it could've been written and performed by pretty much any other metalcore band. Where's the edge? is basically what I'm saying.

I dare you to write a song in Dorian, tho.

Well I'll take that dare! I've been wanting to do so actually ahah

I'm not sure what your point is when you say it's an emulation. All music is an emulation of our influences combined into something that is more unique to our own styling.

As for the second paragraph, I'm completely fine with that. In fact, I take it as a compliment that you think our stuff up to par with commercial bands.

Where's the edge exactly? I'm not sure what you mean because I'm not sure what it is lacking that YOU are looking for. What would my composition need for you to think it has edge?

Also, the song is without vocals as of right now. My vocal stylings are not like that of most metalcore bands, so maybe that'll be some of the edge you're looking for, maybe not.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of the bands you listed ahaha

Last edited by BloodReverence : 08-06-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Longwinded exposition inbound

Well firstly, I'm fairly sure people will have 'music is self expression' as a part of their musical ethos. When someone says 'Oh you sound completely like such and such band, and that band', it means that you're not expressing anything that's yours. It'd be a harder thing to say 'this isn't an emulation of such and such' if it were any other genre of music, because diversity exists obviously, but when its decade old sounding metalcore? This kind of comment is pretty valid, because every band sounds the same in one way or another in the metalcore scene, even when it gets to recent 'progressive' bands, who just play the same riffs at higher speeds with more sweeps.

If you wanted to bring more edge, you'd need to do what a similar band would not do, or not do what a similar band would do when it comes to writing song structure and riffs and melody and so on.

It'd need to not follow what would be seen as 'trappings of the scene'.

The song is good structurally, basic but it works. It flows pretty well, which is not something that's been consistent in the last 3 years of metalcore. There's no horrible diminished chord breakdown, which is a plus, so nice restraint there. Dynamic could go with some improvement, seeing as the only 'soft' bit is the bridge with the electronic drums and its still too full of stuff and sound, needs like a short bar of silence to make the transition to the next section work better, or something along those lines at least.

But see, the biggest problems with the piece are kind of fundamental:

-Your scale choice and chord progressions/intervals are just so typical of the genre that it instantly sets off warning bells. I don't know why 'Root Note Phrygian' is so popular but it sure as hell has been beaten to death in the most recent iteration of the metalcore scene. Its painfully uninteresting at this point, and will garuntee to get you signed to Rise Records.

-The rhythmic patterns during the half time measures are the kind of thing that Chunk No Captain Chunk plays, and in my opinion, every band that has ever existed is automatically better than CNCC. Basically, you have more integrity than that, I'm assuming. Its not indicative of the 'progressive' genre. Go for something more rhythmically off kilter. I'll add some examples.

-The lead guitar lines, although they work melodically and flow pretty well, repeat a lot and get quite dried out pretty quickly. The other big problem is that most of them feel like guitar exercises played over and over again, rather than actual demonstrations of skill.

-Need to correct myself here: I mentioned Capture the Crown, I meant Crown The Empire (not to be confused with Embrace The Empire). They do an incredibly similar thing to you but have this horrible 'Victorian romance' image going on. Basically, they get the most realistic orchestral synths possible and spend a lot of time making them sound nice, but they essentially just play the same notes or chords as the main riff or lead line.

Now there's nothing really wrong with that if the synth was a lead, like a sine or bell synth or a typical lead synth, but when its the backing chords and there's nothing supporting it, this technique really brings down the wow factor levels, and just makes the thing they're playing over sound 'louder' but without actually adding anything to the song.

I guess another thing to add is that it never hurts to listen to things that are actually considered progressive and understand why they're different and see if you can find your own way of being different.

These are bands no self respecting fan or musician of proggy metalcore/hardcore wouldn't know:

show

show

show

Also, in this file below, bars 1-2 indicate the sort of rhythms you've put in here, while the other bars are rhythms that aren't widely used, but are still interesting while being fairly complex and at the same time, relatively easy to play live.

TL;DR: STUFF, WORK ON THE DORIAN PLS
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 rhythm examples.gp4 (2.5 KB, 26 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Drapte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
@Drapte

I agree wholeheartedly, however it wasn't my decision to post MIDI stuff and it was done before I joined the band. Also, logistically speaking, we're unable to get into the studio at this point. It'll be a while before anything happens.

Well then take them down.

I don't mean to run the bus over you here but it's a really bad sceheme.

It depends what you guys want.

Scenario A)
U wanna be a big time metalcore band signed to a big time metalcore label and you've been writing for a long time.

u needa get everything together listen to these words closely
NO ONE SHOULD KNOW YOU EXIST UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO GO ON TOUR

This means:
-Everyone in the band knows your shit and your drummer is playing to a click track in rehersals
-Your EP is recorded and you have physical copies of it It also helps if you have written close to 100 potential tracks because you want your EP to be a bang not just the latest 5 tracks you have written, know your scene make sure they are all catchy.
-You have your artwork all sorted out
-You have Merch that goes with your artwork / EP
-You have either a Lyric video for your single or you have a music video
(Go lyric video in this day and age, cheaper and effective)
-You have means of transport for your entire band
-You have your stage presence choreographed
-You have a plan for your first show. (A set list, A cover, Giving shit away that's all been pre planned to perfection)

AT THIS STAGE YOU OPEN YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE

FINAL STEP Plan an EP launch show supporting either a national or international act (Give your local promoter a portfolio of everything you have done and eventually you will get one, but make sure they are your genre)

-Get signed.

OR

Scenario B)
You don't care and get nowhere. Like every other band who uploads midis to their facebook page.

HOWEVER there is a big key here which is that you need good catchy tracks. regardless of what people say YOU NEED GOOD TRACKS and if your tracks aren't up to scratch and half your band looks like ogres FORGET IT.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
amonamarthmetal

I like the 8-bit stuff.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #17
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
*alot of stuff*

i agree with this. i really loved the song, but your band needs something that separates it from the mold. really dig deep and listen to some genres of music you wouldn't normally. draw some inspiration from that stuff. serious talent here, make it count dudes.

I've spent my life questioning everything.
Sometimes what is placed right in front of us.
I find so hard to believe.
It can crush us so hard,
That it becomes difficult to breathe

-tempest- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #18
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

The intro with the harmonized delay guitars sounded fantastic, if recorded properly it will sound truly beautiful.

The lack of bass in the intro bothered me though, is there a specific reason for this?

The rest of the song sounded very well actually, it's got it's hooks so it's not tiring to listen.

The electro bridge was a good addition to the song, especially with the piano part.

I have to say though that the fade out outro sounded a bit banal to me.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
VíctorG

I find this to be a really good metalcore song, only thing I would take out are the electro parts, too many bands use them now, but that's just my personal opinion. Also, I like the use of the 5-3-1-0 powerchord pattern and the lead on those parts. Definitely a real good tune and catchy too

Check out my song if you want to: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1612453
VíctorG is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: