Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Reinisable

Why musicians nowadays release albums much less frequently than in the 60s and 70s?

Why musicians nowadays release albums much less frequently than in the 60s and 70s?
How did the classic rockers write music so quickly?
Your opinions, guys?
Reinisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
supersac

now a days more moneys in tourign than in music sales also alot of the bigger acts are getting older so they have less incentive to put out an album every year or two years

the newer artists are still putting out an album every few years or so

but honestly im sure theres many reasons which im too lazy to read/write about right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
FreddyFrausto
Banned

these days the chances of music failure are more and more so most of the music composers are restricting towards less versions..
FreddyFrausto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Fastiticalon
Banned

In the 70's the big companies were firmly entrenched and their "signed artists" where nothing more than musical monkeys that they pushed and pushed to produce more and more. I would wager that they even bought music written from other composers much as they still do to this day. Look at who wrote the song alot of commercial albums had 2344634 different writers.
Fastiticalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Albertucci

It's really simple. Less and less people are buying albums thanks to itunes and laziness. Bands have to work on tour to make a living now. Even the big ones have to play live all year to earn enough to pay their bills and still have the money to make a record. They just don't have time for that. And their fans have themselves to blame for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
HayabusaJack

I think I would blame it more on iTunes than being lazy. Back in the day you'd get a 45 for a single but would generally get a cassette or album especially if there was more than 1 good song. Generally I'd listen to the radio and when I heard 2 or 3 good songs in play, I'd be more likely to buy the album. For a single or a couple of good songs, I might just get the 45's instead if they were available as 2 45's were generally less expensive than getting an entire album.

I've found some pretty cool music in addition to the song or two that I bought the album for.

Nowadays folks might hear it on the radio and get the song from iTunes. Why pay $8 for an album when for a buck you can get the song you heard on the radio. Heck, if there are three songs from the 'album', you can get all three for $3 vs spending $8 for the album.

I make it a point to get a CD when I'm buying music and have never purchased songs from iTunes. I've picked up the new Robert Cray CD (well, from his show vs on line but still) and three of the Avenged Sevenfold CDs. It gives me a better view of the band's playing than just getting the one song I might like.

Carl
Morley Bad Horsey Wah - Boss BD-2 | CS-3 | DS-1 | MT-2 | ODB-3
Peavey PV14 - IPR 3000 - PR15
HayabusaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Jes Johnson

The sad fact is, there's not a lot of money to be made in albums these days. In decades past, albums were big business, people could make A LOT of money off them. Nowadays, people either buy whatever song they like on itunes or they just download the album illegally. Most bands make their money from touring and merchandise, but albums...not so much.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
BrandyWalch

I feel like a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people just pirate music off the internet, which leads to way less record sales, so they are putting more time, effort, and money into other things like touring, merchandising etc. like others have said. If songs/albums aren't being pirated then they are being bought off of iTunes. Obviously not everyone just buys off itunes though :P Personally I like going out and buying the album or even better if its in Vinyl haha
BrandyWalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Fastiticalon
Banned

Out of curiosity what would you guys consider a fair price for an album? I remember the days when albums were 20$ each and you would be lucky to get 2 worthwhile songs out of it. I hear albums cost about .30 cents to manufacture. The hard part was writing the material which the artists only got a fraction of each sale for. I think it is poetic justice that the big media companies aren't making any money these days, and are honestly getting what they had coming for a long time.
Fastiticalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
smartguyreviews
Kenny G on Ecstacy

John Zorn putting out like 5 albums a year

different dudes doing different things
smartguyreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

What do you consider frequent? And what artists are you talking about? I just checked album release dates for a few popular artists, and they seem to be putting out an album every 2 years or so. That's pretty reasonable if you ask me.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Banjocal
moosick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
What do you consider frequent? And what artists are you talking about? I just checked album release dates for a few popular artists, and they seem to be putting out an album every 2 years or so. That's pretty reasonable if you ask me.
He's talking Sun Ra frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastiticalon
Out of curiosity what would you guys consider a fair price for an album? I remember the days when albums were 20$ each and you would be lucky to get 2 worthwhile songs out of it. I hear albums cost about .30 cents to manufacture. The hard part was writing the material which the artists only got a fraction of each sale for. I think it is poetic justice that the big media companies aren't making any money these days, and are honestly getting what they had coming for a long time.

Digital: <£5, if not nothing.
Physical CD, no bells and whistles: £8. If it's from a big label and £10+, I won't buy it though.
Physical CD, the full job: £8-14
Vinyl, single: £10-18
Vinyl, double+: £15-30
Box sets: £15-40
Vinyl box sets: £30-100
Date with the vocalist and a night of rough sex to their music: priceless

Last edited by Banjocal : 08-20-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
cghmdcghjian
Banned

the newer artists are still putting out an album every few years or so

[img]************************/images/images/18.gif[/img]
cghmdcghjian is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: