User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
jaybals
guitarchitect

UK Bass amp help!

Hi all,

I have crawled out of my long-term dwelling that is GG&A to ask the help of the bassists of UG. My band mates have recently bought a new Bass between the 4 of us (MIM Fender P-bass if you're interested) and think it's probably a good idea to grab a new amp to go with it.

We are currently just rocking a Roland Bass Cube we borrowed off a mate who doesn't use it any more, and it does the job, but we'd like to get something a lil more authentic, and a lil more giggable.

None of us are really Bassists, but we have all dabbled, so i'm not really sure what we're looking for gear-wise.
A link to our sound-cloud (in my sig) can give you an idea of our sort of music.
Best generalization; alternative, bluesy rock.

Bands we all like, and the sort of Bass sounds we would go for are Radiohead, The Beatles, Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, Bon Iver, Black Keys, Black Crowes, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix.
Basically just need a nice clean, warm, rounded bass tone really.
A real plus if it handles Fuzz Pedals well!

We are located in London.
Budget is a concern; nothing more than a few hundred.
Currently we haven't really got much money between us (i'm the only one working full-time, and i'm trying to save most of it)
What are some cheap gems we might go for?

Solid State vs. Tube isn't such a big deal so long as it sounds good.

Feel free to school me on bass amps and brands!

Cheers for any help, i look forward to slappin' da bass soon.

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

It isn't like me to recommend Ashdown, but for the sort of tone you describe it might be worth you taking a look at their stuff, it comes cheap in the UK.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Peavey TKO Tour 115, I play the same sorta music as you and I recently bought this amp (250eur for 450W).

Bit of clever EQ'ing and gain settings and you can get pretty much anything out of it. Also sounds good with my EHX Bass Blogger (overdrive/distortion) for Jimi or Led Zep.

One downside is that it weighs a ****ing ton.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
Peavey TKO Tour 115, I play the same sorta music as you and I recently bought this amp (250eur for 450W).

Bit of clever EQ'ing and gain settings and you can get pretty much anything out of it. Also sounds good with my EHX Bass Blogger (overdrive/distortion) for Jimi or Led Zep.

One downside is that it weighs a ****ing ton.

^This. A TKO should suit your needs quite well. Other than that, I believe Hartke amps are available in the U.K. Take a look at their offerings. The HyDrive series combos should also give you the sound you are looking for.

The TKO is not just heavy; it is BIG! Probably the biggest combo of its type made today. But hey; that deep low end needs a serious foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
The TKO is not just heavy; it is BIG! Probably the biggest combo of its type made today. But hey; that deep low end needs a serious foundation.

Nah it's more just heavy. As far as size, it fits in the back of my guitarist's Fiat Seicento (just, and it feels like it's gonna screw the back suspension....) but even so, it seems to be a reasonable size for it's power. Just a bit "dense" ;P
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41

That's what I thought. But turns out it ain't so. Modern bass players are turning to cabinets that are downright lightweight, that give you some SERIOUS bottom end without farting out and that are built smart rather than brute. Most of these cabinets have some very clever internal bracing (talk to the folks at barefacedbass.com; alex will tell you what's what).

I have a 1x15 cabinet designed by a guy named David Green ("greenboy" on the TalkBass forums) that uses an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF low frequency driver, an 18 Sound 6" mids and a tweeter. It'll handle 900W, outshout a 6x10 and weighs in at about 45 lbs. Speakers are neo-based and it's all about the construction design, the crossover design, the size, the porting of the cabinet itself. Google fEARful and fEARless bass cabinets.

Aside from giving you great performance and sound, it also opens up spots for a whole new class of roadies.

dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
That's what I thought. But turns out it ain't so. Modern bass players are turning to cabinets that are downright lightweight, that give you some SERIOUS bottom end without farting out and that are built smart rather than brute. Most of these cabinets have some very clever internal bracing (talk to the folks at barefacedbass.com; alex will tell you what's what).

I have a 1x15 cabinet designed by a guy named David Green ("greenboy" on the TalkBass forums) that uses an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF low frequency driver, an 18 Sound 6" mids and a tweeter. It'll handle 900W, outshout a 6x10 and weighs in at about 45 lbs. Speakers are neo-based and it's all about the construction design, the crossover design, the size, the porting of the cabinet itself. Google fEARful and fEARless bass cabinets.

Aside from giving you great performance and sound, it also opens up spots for a whole new class of roadies.

True, Neodymium speakers have shaved a lot of weight off of bass cabinets. But with respect to the Peavey TNT and TKO combos, they are BIG! Both of them are almost two feet deep from back to front, as opposed to no more than half of that for a typical 1x15 combo (like the Acoustic B200 sitting next to me). Peavey used a deep cabinet to enhance the low end response, and it works. You'll see the same thing in a number of high-end bass cabinets. They tend to be deeper (front to back) than your typical cabinets because of an enhanced bass response. Maybe you can accomplish this with a smaller cabinet, but most manufacturers are not trying to pull it off. They tend to go standard, or occasionally go big. The smaller stuff by manufacturers like Markbass isn't meant for the real high-volume, blast-your-eardrums kind of music.

One of the problems with cabinets that get too light is that the cabinet actually moves at high volumes. I've seen one local guy who put his (seemingly) custom-made cabinet on what looked like that inch-thick rubber padding you see in weight room floors. He said it kept it from "walking away" during a set. Of course, these guys played at ear-splitting volumes. He really needed a bigger rig.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Of course Neodynium and Class D is great, but considering it on this budget is futile.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Of course Neodynium and Class D is great, but considering it on this budget is futile.

Amen, brother! State of the Art doesn't come cheap.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
jaybals
guitarchitect

Sweet guys cheers for all the recommendations! i think we are looking around the 200 mark, and preferably second hand, to get the best value.

Seen a good few ashdowns on Gumtree, and might check out the bass-talk classifieds.
Saw in Electric Blue combo for a STEAL, but it was sold, sad times

What would you recommend for 200?
And of course, school me on what i might need/want!

i asked my bandmate what he wants from the amp, he said one which sounds 'Bass-like' haha. Doesn't help much, but i get what he means.
We don't need mad amounts of power, just enough for jams/recording, and small gigs!

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Basschat.co.uk is the go to place for used bass gear in the UK... check out this, for example: (no affiliation)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212644-...__fromsearch__1

That would sort you out. But have a browse, see if anything takes your fancy.

Rate This Thread: