User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Meshuggah's not djent. Djent bands just took Meshuggah's basic ideas, added some lame ambient parts, and called it a new genre. What burns me is when djent fans call it "progressive metal", since there's really not a whole lot progressive about it. I'm glad that it's a dying trend. Most of the bigger "djent" bands are moving into different genres (or were actually in a different genre and got lumped in with Djent*), and the smaller bands are realizing that it's fun for a while but not really entertaining.

*Example: The HAARP Machine got called Djent a lot by media and ignorant teens, despite being Deathcore. It's like every band that used 7/8 string guitars or tuned down low was suddenly part of Djent.

The only djent band I liked is Periphery, and I only like "Periphery II". Anyone who has listened to that album knows the band is clearly moving towards a more progressive sound and songwriting style. (And they'd better continue in less "pure Djent" direction, unless they want to fade away.)

Lots of bands actually use racks live and then have several large cabs scattered around the stage.

It's a guitar sound. Meshuggah have it, all the other bands you mentioned have it, and it's distinctive. It's a thing; the word 'genre' is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
It's a guitar sound. Meshuggah have it, all the other bands you mentioned have it, and it's distinctive. It's a thing; the word 'genre' is the problem.

I'll agree with that. It is a distinctive sound. That said, labeling it as a new genre is bullshit really.

Although, honestly, I think you and I disagree on the usefullness of genres or at least subgenres. You seem to just want to label everything something simple, and I don't. My mind just doesn't work that way.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 08-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
duncang
Popular British sitcom

I think we agree on their usefulness, but not on their relevance to most discussions. People know what genres things are, that information isn't particularly interesting in most cases. But I'm only pulling your leg half the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
I think we agree on their usefulness, but not on their relevance to most discussions. People know what genres things are, that information isn't particularly interesting in most cases. But I'm only pulling your leg half the time!

Well, fair enough.

Usually, it does get funny when you pull my leg too.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: