Originally Posted by romencer17
if there's a djent round i'm not participating at all

every round is going to be a djent round
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #62
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
it'll be more impressive to make a killer grind riff in E.

True, but I'm not retuning my guitar, lol. I'd have re-do a lot, and it's just a giant pain, lol. Joys of having an original Floyd Rose equipped guitar.

I tune to D standard, which gives me a lot of versatility for various Metal (or Metal-inspired) or Prog-ish songs I write.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 08-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #63
romencer17
UG God

my point was mainly that you can just write it in whatever tuning you want and i doubt anyone's gonna care. I can't imagine people being "oh this death metal riff isn't in B standard, boooo!!" I play in E standard nowadays and certainly won't be changing tunings just for this.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #64
RebelDawg13

In terms of genre, we could do a different one for each round (that all participants would compete in). First round could be death/black metal riff, second could be NWOBHM, etc.
RebelDawg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #65
RebelDawg13

Also I think we should do just one riff, making it simple for people to compete and to judge, and do it by that cumulative point system mentioned above. No restrictions with regards to tuning, effects, or anything similar.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #66
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDawg13
In terms of genre, we could do a different one for each round (that all participants would compete in).

I believe that's the plan.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #67
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

Location: Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
Don't worry, there will be no djent round my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDawg13
No restrictions with regards to tuning, effects, or anything similar.

I agree with no restrictions on tuning, but I'm not sure about effects. Speaking for myself, I don't have any effects other than an overdrive button on my shitty little practice amp so that puts me and anyone else who might be in a similar situation at a disadvantage to those of you who have a ton of pedals to play around with. What do you all think is fairer for competition?

I think we are nearly ready to get this thing started. I'll write up a description of the game with all the rules and how it will be played etc. and we can then all discuss that, change anything we might decide needs changed and then we'll be ready to play.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Abomination94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #68
UnarmedLad

I would like to participate, but I'm wondering how much time we would have per round. I will be gone for several days at a time in the near future, and it would suck to miss a round.

Also, how much would it be frowned upon if I recorded my entries from Guitar Pro's Realistic Sound Engine? I'm more proficient at composing for than playing guitar, and I assume this competition will be focused on the qualities of the riff and not on the quality of the recording or the guitarist's playing.

By the way, I think it should be discussed what exactly constitutes as a riff in the context of this competition. Would extra layers such as lead/rhythm guitar be allowed? How about a riff involving dueling guitars? A riff that consists of several variations on the same melody, and as such could also be interpreted as multiple riffs? Maybe I'm overthinking this.
UnarmedLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #69
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

I'd like to participate actually. Now's not the best time for me since I don't have an amp on me, but I guess I can find some amp to record on. I assume this will be bare-bones guitar riff only, and we won't be allowed to add drums and bass on it? Because imo, adding them usually helps the riff a lot and not all of us are probably gonna have the chance to record all that.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #70
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

For those who want to participate but don't have an amp *looks at rg* I guess you could try recording clean to your computer's mic and use a program like audacity and use vst plugins to add distortion and stuff post-recording. I just hummed into my laptop mic and used a tube screamer plugin on it in audacity and it sounded pretty legit.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #71
rg_metal
The Clit Commander

hmm... that is pretty cool. I know of a program that was perfect for recording on a computer. Like it was basically an awesome amp... but you just use your headphones and its all on the computer. I would love to install that on my computer and get a USB plug in for that... if I can find that and install it... I'll participate. I'll try kyto's example as well.... hopefully... I can get a good sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #72
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

how about if you can't record but wanna participate perhaps you could tab it out in powertab or guitar pro and export a midi of it lol or have someone else record the file

I think the best idea for sure is the whole everyone participates in every round then at the end the scores are tallied up

also I've never.. been one to discern the whole "Context" of a riff within the song or even the album haha I can always appreciate a good riff by itself

perhaps if the audience wants an encore of sorts or some more context provided to a riff if the "contestant" wishes they could provide it or what not? like say you want to hear where said riff came from and where it's going it could be provided [but not judged] just for the sake of the listeners' curiosity

[I'm sure there'll be entries where I'll want to hear more haha]

anyway count me in for sure this sounds like fun and my lazy writing needs to be pushed lol

Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 : 08-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #73
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

Location: Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnarmedLad
I would like to participate, but I'm wondering how much time we would have per round. I will be gone for several days at a time in the near future, and it would suck to miss a round.

Also, how much would it be frowned upon if I recorded my entries from Guitar Pro's Realistic Sound Engine? I'm more proficient at composing for than playing guitar, and I assume this competition will be focused on the qualities of the riff and not on the quality of the recording or the guitarist's playing.

I'm thinking a round will probably be about a week long. That should be enough time for the first group to get their riffs written and the second group to judge. The next rounds will start straight after so if your away for a week or more at a time you probably won't be able to play.

No, you have to be able to actually play the riff you've written. This is more about players skill at composing with and playing the actual instrument than just compositional skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnarmedLad
By the way, I think it should be discussed what exactly constitutes as a riff in the context of this competition. Would extra layers such as lead/rhythm guitar be allowed? How about a riff involving dueling guitars? A riff that consists of several variations on the same melody, and as such could also be interpreted as multiple riffs? Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium91
I'd like to participate actually. Now's not the best time for me since I don't have an amp on me, but I guess I can find some amp to record on. I assume this will be bare-bones guitar riff only, and we won't be allowed to add drums and bass on it? Because imo, adding them usually helps the riff a lot and not all of us are probably gonna have the chance to record all that.

Entries will be a singular guitar track. No layering or other instruments allowed as some people can't do that and it puts those who can at an unfair advantage.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Old 08-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #74
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

UG Metal Forum Riff Contest (Cool Title Pending, any ideas???)

Players will be divided into two even groups. Each round will take up to two weeks to complete. In week 1 the first group will all write and record a riff that fits the genre of the round and upload it to their profile. These riffs are then criticised and given a score out of 5 by the second group. In week 2 the roles are reversed, group 2 writes and group 1 reviews. There will be six rounds in total. At the end of the six rounds each player will have a score out of 30 and a winner should be determined. In the event of a tie, there will be a riff-off between tied players in the style of their choice.

Some Rules:
- No layering guitars or other instruments are to be present in your recording. Single guitar track only.
- Other than distortion, no other effects will be allowed as some players do not have the same luxuries you might.
- Any and all tunings are allowed.
- If you miss out on a review or recording a riff for any round, you are out of the game. Only commit to playing if youíre sure youíll be able to participate for the entire game.
- All entries have to be actual recordings. You canít just submit a tab or something. If you want to play but have no amp or anything at all to record, you can get a player from the other group to record the riff for you.

Ok, the 2 groups are as follows:

Group 1
The Wildchild
Kepulix
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
RebelDawg13
TrippyGuitarist
Sanitarium91
rg_metal

Group 2
The Virtuoso
crazysam_23Atax
romencer17
SaintVitus
Kytokinesis
Elintasokas
NosferatuZodd09
Abomination94

If you want to play and arenít on this list let me know soon because once the game starts, entries are closed.

The Rounds:

Round 1: Old-School Heavy Metal
Round 2: Thrash Metal
Round 3: Death Metal
Round 4: Doom Metal
Round 5: Black Metal
Round 6: War Metal

Discuss anything you would change about what I've got here, once we all agree on how this game should be played, I'll open up a new thread and we can get started.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...

Last edited by Abomination94 : 08-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #75
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

My computer has a 1GB soft download limit and if i surpass it i won't be able to upload or listen to any riffs, if i'm careful it shouldn't be a problem but it's possible that i'll end up being disqualified half way through the contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #76
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

You shouldn't have to download anything because players will be uploading their riffs to their UG profiles.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #77
Ultraussie
I have a user title now!

I'll give this game a go.
With riffs, do we have to write percussion/bass parts or is this exclusively guitar only?
This sounds fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomination94
You shouldn't have to download anything because players will be uploading their riffs to their UG profiles.

With internet, whenever you veiw a webpage or stream anything you are downloading it from the internet to view it, same as if you were downloading a file to save.
1GB isnt very much at all
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #78
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

Oh right, I see.

If you read my above post you would know the answer to your question.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #79
UnarmedLad

This contest just seems too fun to pass up. Please count me in, I'll do my best.
UnarmedLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #80
RebelDawg13

Could someone explain to me what war metal is? I don't believe that I've ever heard of it before.

Also for doom metal would be ok to do something more along the lines of Black Sabbath as opposed to the more contemporary stuff that people normally associate with doom metal?

Thanks

Rate This Thread: