Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
matthewzguitarz

Playing in a band for first time ever?

Okay, well, I have played guitar in a church choir, but the singers sucked.

Anyways, my youth group is going to start being more active or whatever, like the youth group leader is going to college in San Diego in 2 weeks, but she is going to come back or try to come back, every weekend. Anyways, we were discussing what we can do to draw in more teens, and make the youth group more interesting.

We decided to select people each week to come up with ideas for games, and start telling our friends(too bad my only friend probably won't come back) about how much fun we have and stuffs.

But a new person used to be a worship leader at his old church(I am guessing that was before he got sent to a mental hospital and moved here), and he came up with an idea for all the musicians in the youth group. He wants to have a youth group band, and right now it sound like it will be him playing the bass and singing, my brother singing, me playing acoustic guitar, another person playing piano, and maybe one of the other guitarists playing electric guitar.

Weird thing is, that he wants it to be an acoustic band with the electric guitar to be on low volume. I also have never actually played in a band before.

Anything I should be prepared for? He is supposed to be sending everyone the song we are going to play, and wants us to get together somewhere to practice and make sure everyone is doing it right I guess.
matthewzguitarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
nemjeff13

1. Play the right chords
2. Play in the right time
3. Play leads in the right key
4. Don't **** up
5. Have fun! If you mess up just hop back in, noone notices small mistakes...bands are a great time and even better with good singers

Do you have someone to keep the beat? percussionist or drum track? that'd be my only concern
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Grimm312

Firstly, enjoy yourself. It's not going to be the end of the world if you make a mistake. One of the best things about being in a band is that if you stuff up it'll go unnoticed by everyone but other musicians in the audience.

Also, be honest about your abilities and what can/can't and will/won't be able to play. And if you stuff up don't stop the rest of the band. Take the time you need (but keep it to a minimum. Talking like 1 or 2 bars, or until the next chord, or the next repetition of the melody or riff) and keep playing.

Last edited by Grimm312 : 08-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Grimm312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
mr.sexytime

I think if you want to draw in more teens an acoustic group might not be the way to go. If you add a drummer to that line up i think it would be more accessible to a teenage crowd. And whats the deal with your buddy going to a mental institution? O.o
mr.sexytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
matthewzguitarz

Well, the person emailed last night, but I just saw it. Anyways, he asked me if I know a drummer, so I will ask my brother about it because I remember him saying one of his friends is a drummer. But to be honest, his friends sounds like a jerk.

Also, I think the person said he was in a mental institution for 3 days because he cussed out someone at school, I think he either said that he is bipolar, or one of his teachers was.

I don't know about the acoustic band idea though, since like, I don't know any teens who don't listen to hip-hop, rock, metal, etc. and I am guessing that is hard to do with an acoustic band? Also, I think the only person who has played with other people before, is the guy who is organizing it all... I hope he isn't expecting me to memorize the tab, because I would never be able to stay on track without it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Grimm312

Wouldn't be able to stay on track without tab? That's what rehearsals are for dude.

Do you have trouble remembering how songs go, or how to play them? If that makes sense. Don't know that it matters much, they're both fixed the same way.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm312
Wouldn't be able to stay on track without tab? That's what rehearsals are for dude.

Do you have trouble remembering how songs go, or how to play them? If that makes sense. Don't know that it matters much, they're both fixed the same way.

I can memorize how to play songs, usually after a few times of playing them. The problem I have, is remembering when to change chords. Since I only learned when to change while someone is singing
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Grimm312

How long have you been playing?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
How long have you been playing?

I got my first guitar around 5 or 6 years ago, but didn't start taking it serious until like 3 or 4 years ago. But, yeah, I just say 5 or 6 years.

But I only had a teacher for 1-2 years, and the rest is self taught.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ That's cool but realistically of your skill level is;

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewzguitarz
I can memorize how to play songs, usually after a few times of playing them. The problem I have, is remembering when to change chords. Since I only learned when to change while someone is singing

You're firmly in beginner's territory.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Weird thing is, that he wants it to be an acoustic band with the electric guitar to be on low volume. I also have never actually played in a band before.

Ever hear "worship music"? If the electric guitar is distorted in that kind of music, it's either very, very light distortion (basically, overdrive on nice pills) or it's a clean electric guitar. Point is, if the electric guitar player is going to use heavy distortion, then turning down the volume fits the aesthetic of the genre.

Personally, I found playing in church bands to be boring.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Ever hear "worship music"? If the electric guitar is distorted in that kind of music, it's either very, very light distortion (basically, overdrive on nice pills) or it's a clean electric guitar. Point is, if the electric guitar player is going to use heavy distortion, then turning down the volume fits the aesthetic of the genre.

Personally, I found playing in church bands to be boring.

To be honest, I dislike worship music. I spent like.. 15 years of my life listening to very very slow worship music at a Lutheran church, and I hated it, especially since they took already slow music, and slowed it down even more, and the choir sung off tune and at different speeds.

I don't think the band is actually a church band though, kind of confusing. Anyways, if they decide we are going to start playing worship music like they usually play in churches, I will probably not play in the band.

But, I am not sure since the people were saying that they like stuff like, Skillet, and other bands I have never really listened to. I personally like Christian Hip-hop(Lecrae), Christian Punk(Superchick is awesome), Christian Rock(depends on the artist for me, casting crowns sucks), and stuff like that. Because I like faster music, and heavy distortion, even though I rarely use it.

I doubt I could play slow music, since like, I would get bored after the first verse or two.

For the post before about me being at beginner level thing, I actually consider myself to be intermediate at most, even though people say stupid stuff like me being a master, since you can never master an instrument. Anyways, I suck at that stuff since I have never played with anything other than a vocalist or another guitarist.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

You need to learn to count and feel the beat. Usually it's like every four beats or every two beats when you need to change chords (though it varies). Don't just memorize the fingerings, memorize the sound. You want to listen to the original song so that you remember it well from the beginning to the end. That way you'll remember when to change chords. Also listen to what other instruments do.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ If you cannot "remember when to change chords" you are a beginner. It's pretty much a requirement to play a song.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Peaceful Rocker

I wouldn't play in a worship band unless it paid really well.

And honestly, that sounds EXACTLY like what the gig is.

"mainly acoustic with electric at low volume". Church band

however; i'm also not religious. So, i think it could be a good learning opportunity.. and perhaps fun too. It's just good to get into a live band situation and get practice doing it.

Last edited by Peaceful Rocker : 08-14-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
To be honest, I dislike worship music. I spent like.. 15 years of my life listening to very very slow worship music at a Lutheran church, and I hated it, especially since they took already slow music, and slowed it down even more, and the choir sung off tune and at different speeds.

I don't think the band is actually a church band though, kind of confusing. Anyways, if they decide we are going to start playing worship music like they usually play in churches, I will probably not play in the band.

I highly doubt that a youth group band will play hymns, which is what I suspect your Lutheran church played. (I grew up in the Lutheran church, and most of them are fairly conservative.) Hymns aren't really what I meant by "worship music". Bands/artists like MercyMe, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Third Day, Matthew West, tobyMac, Chris Tomlin, Jars of Clay, dc Talk, Steven Curtis Chapman, Newsboys and Michael W. Smith are what I meant by worship music.

Quote:
But, I am not sure since the people were saying that they like stuff like, Skillet, and other bands I have never really listened to. I personally like Christian Hip-hop (Lecrae), Christian Punk (Superchick is awesome), Christian Rock (depends on the artist for me, casting crowns sucks), and stuff like that. Because I like faster music, and heavy distortion, even though I rarely use it.

Ok, that's great. I imagine that the Youth Leader or whoever has a set of bands/songs in mind. I highly doubt you'll be blasting most Skillet songs, fyi.

Quote:
For the post before about me being at beginner level thing, I actually consider myself to be intermediate at most, even though people say stupid stuff like me being a master, since you can never master an instrument. Anyways, I suck at that stuff since I have never played with anything other than a vocalist or another guitarist.

If you can barely change chords, then you have some work to do. You're a beginner. Sorry.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
Grimm312

Quote:

If you can change chords by following a singer, it won't be that much different in a full band. You just have to listen to the whole band, rather than just the singer.

Quote:

I think what you're lacking is maybe just some confidence. I doubt you're as skilled as you've said, but I also doubt you're as unskilled as some other people seem to think. Just keep in mind that I've noticed musicians tend to be more accepting of other musicians if they're honest about the skill level. They're always warmer towards a beginner who is honest about their abilities than they are to an intermediate who says their the next Hendrix but can't back it up when it comes time to actually play.

Seriously, play with this band. I guarantee you it's the quickest way to become a "good musician". Don't read that as technically proficient, though. They are linked, but only to a point. I've known some fantastic musicians who are at best average at their instrument.

You'll start being able to feel a song, and subliminally doing what's best for it.
You'll also start picking up on little nuances in the music that are signals for the musicians. Like the drummers fills at the end of the verse to say that you have to move onto the chorus and stuff like that.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
If you can change chords by following a singer, it won't be that much different in a full band. You just have to listen to the whole band, rather than just the singer.

I think what you're lacking is maybe just some confidence. I doubt you're as skilled as you've said, but I also doubt you're as unskilled as some other people seem to think. Just keep in mind that I've noticed musicians tend to be more accepting of other musicians if they're honest about the skill level. They're always warmer towards a beginner who is honest about their abilities than they are to an intermediate who says their the next Hendrix but can't back it up when it comes time to actually play.

Seriously, play with this band. I guarantee you it's the quickest way to become a "good musician". Don't read that as technically proficient, though. They are linked, but only to a point. I've known some fantastic musicians who are at best average at their instrument.

You'll start being able to feel a song, and subliminally doing what's best for it.
You'll also start picking up on little nuances in the music that are signals for the musicians. Like the drummers fills at the end of the verse to say that you have to move onto the chorus and stuff like that.

Thanks, by the way, sorry if I tried to say I was really good or something, since I still consider myself really bad. So, yeah, sorry if it seemed like I was trying to say I am really good or something.

I will play with the band, since now thinking about it, I am learning to play duets with the violin now, and the counting seems to be easier when someone else is doing it since I count either too fast, or too slow, and I am guessing the drummer/bassist keep everyone on track?

I like that last part, about feeling the song. I remembered a concert I went to, and kind of figured out when the guitarist was changing chords.

I think part of my problem, is that I am really shy.

Also, about the acoustic band thing. I think the main thing with that, is because the youth group only has like 10 people who come every week, sometimes there are a few more.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Thanks, by the way, sorry if I tried to say I was really good or something, since I still consider myself really bad. So, yeah, sorry if it seemed like I was trying to say I am really good or something.

No need to apologise, you just need to practice more.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

About the music choices. I go to a Christian college and we get famous folk over here all the time. Offer your input to use Kristen Stanfill songs for the loudder stuff (seriously, the guy even did a dubstep version of a song with heavy distortion on the guitars at a Christian school) I'd say check out "I'm Not Ashamed" by him. Also check out Jamie Grace for the more upeat happy-go-lucky sound that some of the churches like. For the chord changing difficulty, Phil Whickam(sp?) is good to practice. I don't know too much Christian rap but Sho Baraka came down last year and his beats make for easy guitar transistion while remaining technically challenging for you. I'd send links n vids but I'm tired. Maybe when I wake up and finish arguing with my lady haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: