User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewzguitarz
Thanks, by the way, sorry if I tried to say I was really good or something, since I still consider myself really bad. So, yeah, sorry if it seemed like I was trying to say I am really good or something.

I will play with the band, since now thinking about it, I am learning to play duets with the violin now, and the counting seems to be easier when someone else is doing it since I count either too fast, or too slow, and I am guessing the drummer/bassist keep everyone on track?

I like that last part, about feeling the song. I remembered a concert I went to, and kind of figured out when the guitarist was changing chords.

I think part of my problem, is that I am really shy.

Also, about the acoustic band thing. I think the main thing with that, is because the youth group only has like 10 people who come every week, sometimes there are a few more.

How can you count faster than you play? I mean, can you feel where the beat is? And I think you can because otherwise you couldn't even play with other musicians - you would play faster than them. Everybody in a band needs to count - nobody does the counting for you. Actually it's more like feeling the beat and knowing where a new bar starts and tapping your foot to the beat. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks like 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 all the time when they are playing. It's more about "feeling" the beat than "counting" it. I think maybe playing everything with a metronome (or a drum machine) will help (when you practice alone). Everybody in a band needs to have a good sense of rhythm. But don't worry, you'll get better at rhythm when you play in a band.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
matthewzguitarz

Now I am confused, on Sunday the person organizing all of this said that we wouldn't be using amps(except the electric guitar), but my brother just told me that the person said I need to bring an amp. I don't see why the person wouldn't just tell me to bring it, and not my brother, also still waiting to find out what we are supposed to be doing tomorrow. Since we talked on Sunday and the pianist can't do anything tomorrow, but I am so confused because now my brother is talking about how we have to pick up a person who plays saxaphone, then pick up the guy organizing it, then drive down to the drummer's house, but that would still mean that the other guitarist and the pianist wouldn't know what we are doing.
matthewzguitarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Grimm312

Welcome to being in a band ... your first one never really goes how you want it too.

And how old are you?
Grimm312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Band communications. Aren't they fun? Btw, the leader having everyone's cell number is great. Just saying.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Jes Johnson

I think it'll be a good experience for you, man. Even if the music isn't exactly what you're into, you'll learn a lot and get better by playing with other people. To me, it sounds like confidence is the main thing holding you back. Just make sure you'll all well rehearsed and have fun with it. Enjoy the experience.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
matthewzguitarz

Now this whole thing has me kind of annoyed to be honest. The person is asking me to bring my amp(even though it is small, it is still heavy), so I don't mind that as much, but it would have been nice if he at least told me and not my brother first. Then he canceled the practice yesterday, and moved it over to Sunday, which I really don't feel like bringing my guitar to church without permission from the pastor and stuff, plus there is no way I can transport my guitar since I just realized I never got a case for it, and it doesn't fit into any of the gig bags we have.

Last night I found out my brother got permission to pick out a second song, which I was already mad about the first because it was a song I had never played before(ends up it is the same 4 chords throughout the song). But anyways, my parents decided that I should help pick out a song that I can actually play, but my brother went ahead and said all of my choices were evil and not Christian, which I find stupid because my 3 favorite artists are Christian, Superchick, Lecrae, and Daughtry.

Just because they are punk, hip-hop, and rock, doesn't mean they are evil. Anyways, I tried picking out a Superchick song since a lot of their music is aimed at teens struggling in high school, and I thought it would be good to pick one which encourages teens to be themselves or something. But, nope, Superchick is evil I guess. Instead my brother is picking out a song I can't play because I am horrible with barre chords(never bothered to learn them).

But, it is really annoying, people treat me like I can listen to a song and instantly play it, when that is not true, it takes me about a week or more to learn a new song, and even then, I take extra time to modify certain parts I think would sound better if like I replaced a certain chord with one which sound like it has more emotion, or if I just need to work on a certain part of the song more.

Now I remember the reason I was going to be a solo musician, too much stress from a band full of teens who just want to be cool or something. Like, half of the people at my youth group admitted that they have only been playing their instrument for a year or something(though the pianist has been playing for a long time). But anyways, like the leader and my brother are picking very high songs for their low voices.

Also wondering now, maybe they just decided to skip practice and just play on Sunday O_o I need to get my mind off this before I go crazy.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

And now you've run into band politics. Also, the whole "this band is more Christian than that band" thing is always stupid.

Btw, I don't think anyone's expecting you to learn any songs right away at this point. If they are, then you need to talk with the leader (not anyone else) and tell him that you need a week or so to actually learn songs.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Now this whole thing has me kind of annoyed to be honest. The person is asking me to bring my amp(even though it is small, it is still heavy), so I don't mind that as much, but it would have been nice if he at least told me and not my brother first. Then he canceled the practice yesterday, and moved it over to Sunday, which I really don't feel like bringing my guitar to church without permission from the pastor and stuff, plus there is no way I can transport my guitar since I just realized I never got a case for it, and it doesn't fit into any of the gig bags we have.

Last night I found out my brother got permission to pick out a second song, which I was already mad about the first because it was a song I had never played before(ends up it is the same 4 chords throughout the song). But anyways, my parents decided that I should help pick out a song that I can actually play, but my brother went ahead and said all of my choices were evil and not Christian, which I find stupid because my 3 favorite artists are Christian, Superchick, Lecrae, and Daughtry.

Just because they are punk, hip-hop, and rock, doesn't mean they are evil. Anyways, I tried picking out a Superchick song since a lot of their music is aimed at teens struggling in high school, and I thought it would be good to pick one which encourages teens to be themselves or something. But, nope, Superchick is evil I guess. Instead my brother is picking out a song I can't play because I am horrible with barre chords(never bothered to learn them).

But, it is really annoying, people treat me like I can listen to a song and instantly play it, when that is not true, it takes me about a week or more to learn a new song, and even then, I take extra time to modify certain parts I think would sound better if like I replaced a certain chord with one which sound like it has more emotion, or if I just need to work on a certain part of the song more.

Now I remember the reason I was going to be a solo musician, too much stress from a band full of teens who just want to be cool or something. Like, half of the people at my youth group admitted that they have only been playing their instrument for a year or something(though the pianist has been playing for a long time). But anyways, like the leader and my brother are picking very high songs for their low voices.

Also wondering now, maybe they just decided to skip practice and just play on Sunday O_o I need to get my mind off this before I go crazy.

Seems like this band will end before it even starts. I would suggest joining some other band.

And who is your brother to say a song is "evil"? There are no "evil" songs (and non-Christian music is not evil, whoever says that is just stupid).

Oh, and when you join a band, make sure that all members take it seriously. I hated playing in the school band we had with our friends. The drummer, bassist and singer didn't care about it that much and it was rare that there were all five members at the same time practicing. Me and the other guitarist usually just jammed together because we were the only ones who took it seriously.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Seems like this band will end before it even starts. I would suggest joining some other band.

And who is your brother to say a song is "evil"? There are no "evil" songs (and non-Christian music is not evil, whoever says that is just stupid).

Oh, and when you join a band, make sure that all members take it seriously. I hated playing in the school band we had with our friends. The drummer, bassist and singer didn't care about it that much and it was rare that there were all five members at the same time practicing. Me and the other guitarist usually just jammed together because we were the only ones who took it seriously.

My brother is just kind of stupid when it comes to music, guess because he either really doesn't understand that music alone can't really be evil, or that he just really believes that hip-hop is evil. I don't like saying that certain music is bad or whatever, I mean, I even like Justin Bieber's music and make it clear that I do, anyways, in my opinion, if music didn't exist, the whole world would be in war constantly, or would have ended by now.

I hope people take this band seriously. I would really like to have music at youth group, since it was planned when the youth group started, but never went anywhere. Plus, like I said, music helps people connect. I could probably do a speech on why music is important Anyways, I would even do the music myself if I had to, even though most of the songs end up being hip-hop, rock, gothic metal, or one of the other random genres of music I am in love with(celtic?).
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #30
Grimm312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine

Haha, my thought exactly.

And maybe you're taking things a bit seriously, OP. Getting all worked up because the "leader" didn't communicate to you directly? Come on man. Maybe he saw your brother before he had called anyone and took the chance and asked him to pass the message on, since I assume you both live together.

To make a band work, you gotta take it seriously. But it gets to a point where you're getting worked up about petty little things that don't really matter.

As for the songs, that's a different matter. Give them a go, but if you don't enjoy playing them you don't enjoy playing them. Then you're playing them because you have to, and not because you want to, so it's a chore rather than something you genuinely want to do. You've got 2 options then. Have the band play songs you like playing (seems the less likely option to me), or find another band that will.
Grimm312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #31
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm312
Haha, my thought exactly.

And maybe you're taking things a bit seriously, OP. Getting all worked up because the "leader" didn't communicate to you directly? Come on man. Maybe he saw your brother before he had called anyone and took the chance and asked him to pass the message on, since I assume you both live together.

To make a band work, you gotta take it seriously. But it gets to a point where you're getting worked up about petty little things that don't really matter.

As for the songs, that's a different matter. Give them a go, but if you don't enjoy playing them you don't enjoy playing them. Then you're playing them because you have to, and not because you want to, so it's a chore rather than something you genuinely want to do. You've got 2 options then. Have the band play songs you like playing (seems the less likely option to me), or find another band that will.

I do get worked up about little things involving my brother, just because like, he annoys me recently, probably because he makes excuses for why I am shy(I am actually not as shy as people think).

Anyways, I calmed down and thought about it more. I will first check out this song about being a hero, then next week ask the band leader about it. I honestly fell in love with the lyrics, since it pretty much says what I already believed, that even just saying "hello" can save a life(did for me at least, I was about to commit suicide before this youth group started), also has something that made me wonder about how my choices effect my brothers, and other people who look up to me.

Back on topic, I am sort of confused more now, since my brother is saying we have to bring our instruments to youth group tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything about it. So, guess I will just go to youth group without my guitar, like originally planned.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
matthewzguitarz

Okay, guess my brother has to bring his guitar today, since I can't transport mine. And we are playing today with no band practice.

Anyways, I think I just overreacted because I was worried about someone on youtube who posted a goodbye video, but everything turned out okay, the police found her and she is getting the help she needs

Also going to buy the song "Hero" by Superchick and ask the band leader if we could play it sometime. Because, I don't go to school(homeschooled), but I hear the people at youth group talking about weird kids. Well, pretty sure no one knows the situation those kids are in, for all we know, those kids will be the ones who commit suicide or show up with a gun. I really want to kind of help those people, but I can't directly help them since like I said, I don't go to that school, but I could maybe get people to sit with them at lunch or whatever.

Anyways, kind of excited and scared about today since I just totally forgot the chords to the song, but I did find a way to count, using my foot. Though I only really need that during the chorus, since the rest of the time it is just changing chords by the time I strum down twice(I strung down, then pick certain strings, then down strum again).
Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

This is a very strange thread. Get working on those barre chords.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
matthewzguitarz

Okay, talked to the band and we prayed that we would find a way to get it going. The youth group leader said that there is no way we could get a drummer, because there is a rumor about the drummer we were looking at, that he uses drugs, so the church doesn't want to get involved with that. Also, the price of drums, then transportation and storage.

So, the band leader and my brother worked out something I guess, that every Saturday the band will come to our house in a room we are going to set up for practice. The band, now consists of I think, me(guitarist of course), my brother(singer), the band leader(bassist and lead singer), another guitarist, and a pianist. We are also looking into getting a girl backup singer(I actually think she should be the lead singer, she is amazing).

I thought about the drum issue, and think I came up with a solution to that, since I was going to do it anyways for my own solo stuff. I heard about a drumkit program thing that lets you make beats or something like that on the computer, so I was thinking I can buy that and make some beats, then use the karaoke machine my brother has, to play those beats in the background. But, I am completely clueless on that, just a random idea(I like problem solving).

Anyways, today we did get the music we are doing, and listened to each other, or at least the guitars and bass, and talked about what we are doing about getting this going
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Um...I think this morphed from a "advice on my 1st band" thread into a blog.

Bandcamp

Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
matthewzguitarz

Didn't notice that, guess this thread can be closed now. Gotta go think of a band name though ;o
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #37
Jes Johnson

Lol, this is the sorta stuff that happens when you start playing with other musicians. And yeah, in my experience, the drummer's always the hardest part for some reason. Personally, I'd suggest trying craigslist before getting a drum program, but that's just me.

Yeah, I hate it when people do that "rock is the devil's music" junk. It's not cool telling people the music they listen to is inherently evil.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
matthewzguitarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes Johnson
Lol, this is the sorta stuff that happens when you start playing with other musicians. And yeah, in my experience, the drummer's always the hardest part for some reason. Personally, I'd suggest trying craigslist before getting a drum program, but that's just me.

Yeah, I hate it when people do that "rock is the devil's music" junk. It's not cool telling people the music they listen to is inherently evil.

The band leader replied to my idea saying that we do not need drums so I guess I am done with that idea.

I am actually liking what my youth group leader said about that, she told everyone that music can't really be evil, but still said to be careful to what you listen to.

Anyways, I was just inspired by Superchick, and what happened last night(long story, anyways, lady posted goodbye video but now she is okay and getting the help she needs), and just my own experience with trying to please my parents and fit in with people(could have ended badly). I know what my music will be about now, helping teens going through problems like that, just need a name which fits that theme though, and hope that the band likes the name, if not then I would just save it for myself(pretty sure now that I will go to college for music).

Anyways, thanks for all the help
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #39
GraceByDeath

There's some good Christian artists that play some pretty good stuff for a church worship setting. To name a few are bands (and songs)

Fee (Rise And Sing, Happy Day, Glory To God Forever, All Because Of Jesus,...)

Newsboys (God's Not Dead, I am Free, Blessed Be Your Name)

Hillsong United (The Stand, Hosanna, Take It All, Awesome God)

Barlowgirl (Never Alone, No One Like You)

Casting Crowns (Praise You In This Storm, East To West, Lifesong)

Kari Jobe (Revelation Song)

Jeremy Riddle (Sweetly Broken, Furious)

A lot of those are really powerful. And if you can pull them off they're fun to get into.=) I hope it helps! When I was in high school we played a lot of these songs in our youth group. There are several really energizing ones, and a few quieter ones. Energy for being pumped, and slow for somber "You and God" moments you know? Good stuff. Good luck!
GraceByDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #40
Captaincranky

Quote:
...[ ]....Also, I think the person said he was in a mental institution for 3 days because he cussed out someone at school, I think he either said that he is bipolar, or one of his teachers was....[ ]....
So why don't you think this person would be ideal far an angry teenaged grunge/metal band?

Quote:
I don't know about the acoustic band idea though, since like, I don't know any teens who don't listen to hip-hop, rock, metal, etc. and I am guessing that is hard to do with an acoustic band? Also, I think the only person who has played with other people before, is the guy who is organizing it all... I hope he isn't expecting me to memorize the tab, because I would never be able to stay on track without it.
You can really play anything "unplugged", of course with varying levels of success. Hint here though, it's so much harder to hold those darn barre chords on an acoustic, than it is on an electric.

So much self doubt, or unwillingness(?) to work as hard as necessary to accomplish your common goals in that last paragraph. Are you sure you're ready for this?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-19-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: