Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Peterukk

My singing/voice

Feedback super appreciated. I've been practicing a lot lately (not that I'm any good, but I was truly terrible). But I've been singing in a bubble and would love an outsiders take, preferably someone knows a thing or two about singing! I'm currently trying to find/form a band and although I love singing, I don't think my voice is cut for lead vocals in a rock band?...(my main instrument is guitar)

Thanksss

(check my profile for Bittersweet Symphony - recorded my first take, so it's a bit rough - or the other one, but that one's a Finnish song XD)
Peterukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
HotspurJr

Let me ask you the question that's more important than anything I think about this:

What do you think about this when you listen to it?

Look, you sound untrained, and I just wrote this, but you wouldn't sit down in front of a piano, without knowing how to play, and ask me to evaluate if you could play in a rock band, would you?

And yet that's EXACTLY what you're doing with your voice.

Nobody can tell you how good you can be until you try to be good. And that means learning how to play your instrument.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Let me ask you the question that's more important than anything I think about this:

Look, you sound untrained, and I just wrote this, but you wouldn't sit down in front of a piano, without knowing how to play, and ask me to evaluate if you could play in a rock band, would you?

Nobody can tell you how good you can be until you try to be good. And that means learning how to play your instrument.

HotspurJr typically gives great advice and this is no exception.

There is some bad news and some good news.

The Bad News:
If you were trying out for American Idol you would not make it through to Hollywood but probably make it on TV for all the wrong reasons. It was flat, very monotonous, and rather unpleasant to hear. I'm sorry if this honesty is a little brutal.

The Good News:
There is a lot of room for improvement. If you put in the hard work, get a deliberate focused plan and practice daily (ideally with a teacher) then you can make some dramatic improvements.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Peterukk

See, what I'm afraid of is that my singing voice is (more or less) just like that. I've took singing lessons before and I've already made huge improvements (if you would hear my older recordings, you would realize this), I know I'm not TOTALLY off with the basics, if you know what I mean.

Could you kindly check the other song I've uploaded and see if you like it better (INXS) ? It's even worse as a cover, but in terms of singing it might be better.

Thank you.

And an honest evaluation is exactly what I came here for and what will make me improve, so no hard feelings there

Last edited by Peterukk : 08-14-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Peterukk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr

See, the difference here is, while I know I'm not good yet, I have been practicing a lot - took singing lessons on two occasions (And I'm going to start taking them again in a month), and for the past few weeks I've been practicing for around 1 hour every day ! So I was looking for a little more than "why did you come here, you're terrible, learn2sing" . I was looking for specific advice ; i.e. "you're singing in your chest without resonance in your head" or something cool like that which could help me.

Again, no hard feelings, and I truly appreciate (even the brutal) advice. What I'm trying to say is, while I'm still not a good singer, I'm not new to singing, and at this stage I'm looking for specific vocal advice. Of course, I will get them soon once I take my lessons again.

Last edited by Peterukk : 08-14-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
HotspurJr

I don't know how good "practicing for an hour every day" is for you if you're practicing the wrong things. You might just be reinforcing your bad habits.

I'm not a singing teacher, and I don't really think singing can be taught without being in a room with someone anyway, because a lot of learning to sing is the teacher saying "do X" and you doing something and them saying, "That's not X, that's Y." Even good singing advice like "expand your chest more" can do more harm than good if you don't understand what I mean - because there's more than one way to expand your chest, and if you do it wrong you'll make things worse.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
20Tigers

What exactly are you practicing everyday?

And no, the second song was not much better than the first.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Sethis

I heard that finnish song. When I hear this kind of singing especially on low notes (inconsistent, shaky, pitchy) one thing comes to mind. Fear of being heard by others. It's totally normal at first. Trying just going straight for the note and hitting it, don't hesitate. It depends on the song but some things are meant to be sung loud.

Last edited by Sethis : 08-15-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Peterukk

Guys, I'm back. With another upload (Jason Mraz). Do you think I have made any progress? I would say yes but I don't trust my own judgement after last time when I got pretty much destroyed. lol

Includes obligatory reverb to mask my sucky tone.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Peterukk

Guys. I'm back. Again. Please check my just uploaded vocal sample and tell me if I still suck. Do I have a vocal tone that could work with rock music, i.e. if I practiced my technique, could I sing in a band for example and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world?...my voice is quite unusual, I'm a bass voice for one..but I know at least one rock band with a bass singer and they rock (The National)

I'm basically looking for an ego-boost, last time it was brutally crushed, I still have scars that go deep into my soul.

But seriously, I feel like I've made a lot of progress..?

Last edited by Peterukk : 10-31-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
HotspurJr

I honestly don't remember what you used to sound like. I can't tell you if you're better than you were or not.

I think you need to take lessons. What you describe as "unusual" about yours sounds like bad technique to me.

If you care about this, you'll find a way to take lessons.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
KrisHQ

Peterukk, if the new sample is "crash into me" then you're still off pitch and sound very inexperienced. Your articulation is bad as well, you need to work on your pronounciation.
You don't necessarily have to take lessons, since you can become a great singer without, but you need to practice your voice and your ears.
And let me just tell you this straight away:
People care way too much about the "tone" of their voice. Reality is, that if you are singing completely on pitch, breath and articulate correctly you will sound good unless you have a vocal-defect, which I can hear that you do not.
Dont worry about the tone of your voice, worry about your technique.

I'm not trying to crush your soul in any way, but you have an up-hill road ahead of you, if you want to become a great singer. It is most definitely possible, so if you really want it, go for it!

Last edited by KrisHQ : 10-31-2013 at 05:25 AM.
KrisHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Peterukk

Bubble. Burst.

Alright guys, I appreciate it nevertheless.

I am aware that my articulation is truly terrible, I have not given it a single thought so far so that is to be expected. What I have been working on are the basics : support from the diaphragm and relaxed throat. Yesterday I felt like I truly made a breakthrough with the latter, suddenly singing just became so much "lighter" and more effortless and I sang for like 3 hours without any strain.

If anyone cares anymore, I re-uploaded my old vocal sample (from when I first made this thread), you can probably hear a difference..It's a bit demotivating to hear I still have a huge uphill battle ahead, but oh well lol..
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Peterukk

Am I really off pitch? Damn, that's scary, I can't even hear it
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
KrisHQ

Try not to get demotivated even though I know it's hard.
More often than not the truth is better. Now you know that you need to work hard and keep practicing, and might avoid some embarassing situations.
And yes, you are off-pitch a lot.
Practice holding single notes with a piano, do scale runs and triads (sing the major 3rd and perfect fifth).
KrisHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Peterukk

Thanks man.

"The truth never hurts"
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
bigblockelectra

Is English your first language?
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Peterukk

No, but I consider my English to be fluent, why?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterukk
Am I really off pitch? Damn, that's scary, I can't even hear it

That's why you're off pitch.

Singers need to have great ears. You need to work a substantial amount of ear training into your daily workout.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterukk
No, but I consider my English to be fluent, why?

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on between what might be an accent and some seriously messed up pronunciation that might just be you trying to sing with affect.

Rate This Thread: