Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
fenderfrenzy101

Custom Headstock Logo

I'm working on my new build and I want to paint a custom symbol on the headstock. I'm aiming for a silver or metallic color for the symbol. I'm going to paint it over the paint and lacquer that I'm applying.

Can anybody tell me what type of paint or permanent marker is best suited for this? And if it would be safe to put lacquer over this paint?

Thank you in advance
fenderfrenzy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Guitbuilder

Yes, but what process, materials, and look works best for your overall design vision. Experiment before you commit to any real thing. Your first design attempt is rarely the best you can do.
Silver metallic graphics can be done with Christmas wrapping paper cut to your shape under the clear lacquer, silver metallic model car paint, or real sterling silver sheet cut to shape and engraved with your design. What is your final project overview, and how would those elements conflict or add to this one?
Your custom guitar's headstock logo is important, it reflects the quality of the build, and the care you put into the rest of the guitar. But don't obcess. Other aspects of the build are maybe more important than the logo, like action, playability, finish, solid electronics, tuning stability, cohesiveness of the guitar's elements.

Last edited by Guitbuilder : 08-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
fenderfrenzy101

I understand that other aspects of the guitar are intricate in the building process. I'm currently working on the guitar's finish, I also bought solid hardware for it as well. But I'm asking soley about the logo. I'm keeping the shape simple; just the silhouette of a bird. I can cut out a stencil for it no problem.
I would just like to know what type of paint to use. I'll look into the silver metallic car paint like you've suggested, but I'd also like to hear other options. Does anybody have any opinion on silver acryllic paints as well?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Those gold or silver paint pens could be good if you have some skill
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Guitbuilder

Maybe you could make it look like an inlay matching the guitar's fretboard markers. Faux decal sticker material of thin Mother Of Pearl, white pearl, and even abalony can be cut to your shape and installed under the clear. Go on Ebay and search for silver or MOP bird guitar stickers. There just might be something there that's just what you like. I'm using a white pearl eagle head on my build's headstock.
If you want to try real silver, go to www.riogrande.com, find thin gauge silver sheet, and get a piece as big as you need.

Last edited by Guitbuilder : 08-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
D_M_I
Omniscient

Do you mean clearcoat? Laquer is a base material, not a process. The color coat can be laquer as well. Can you not get silver in the same material as the color coat? Then clear the whole thing?
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
fenderfrenzy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_I
Do you mean clearcoat? Laquer is a base material, not a process. The color coat can be laquer as well. Can you not get silver in the same material as the color coat? Then clear the whole thing?

The colors I am using are Stewmac tinted lacquer, and then I'm spraying clear coats of lacquer over the colors. Is it safe to spray clear coats of nitrocellulose lacquer over, lets just say, some silver Sharpie?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
D_M_I
Omniscient

I would imagine the lacquer will make the sharpie run. If you use several really light coats (like just one quick pass) and let them dry well between, you may get it to work. I would test it on a separate piece of painted wood, no matter what you end up doing.

I don't know if you are any good with a small brush over a pen, but something like this may be the way to go.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes28003.htm
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
fenderfrenzy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_I
I would imagine the lacquer will make the sharpie run. If you use several really light coats (like just one quick pass) and let them dry well between, you may get it to work. I would test it on a separate piece of painted wood, no matter what you end up doing.

I don't know if you are any good with a small brush over a pen, but something like this may be the way to go.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes28003.htm

I do have a test piece of wood that has the same finish as the guitar. I think I'm going to test the Sharpie on the test piece, and if that doesn't work out, I'll go for the model car lacuqer you posted.

Thank you all very much!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
D_M_I
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderfrenzy101
I do have a test piece of wood that has the same finish as the guitar. I think I'm going to test the Sharpie on the test piece, and if that doesn't work out, I'll go for the model car lacuqer you posted.

Thank you all very much!

No problem. Post the results

Rate This Thread: