Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Thinking about jumping to bass, need some advice...

I sold off my rig last fall due to just not having the time for it. I work full time, have a family, was finishing up my B.A., and was trying to sell two books off to a publisher. With school and the writing projects done it is time to get back to playing, but I want to switch to bass.

My guitar experience includes playing mostly classic rock and metal. Loved going to blues jams. Never actually been in a band, but I turned down the invite twice because of other obligations. My favorite songs to play were Mississippi Queen and Crossroads, and anything by Metallica and Megadeth. When playing guitar I had a very percussive style, if that makes any sense, so I think I am probably more suited to bass. And decent bass players are far and few between here.

After messing around with a few different ones the last few weeks, I just want some opinions. I really like the standard P bass and J bass, but I also like Ibanez, and my local shops have a variety of Ibby's in my budget. Total budget is $1200 US dollars. I also want a good combo amp, probably a Fender. In short, would the Ibby work for classic rock stuff, or just stick to the P or J bass? And am I missing any other pieces of gear or random stuff that would make life easier for me?
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
 
fudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Binghamton NY
Are you planning on gigging at some point? That could make a big difference in terms of what to look for in a amp. A DI would be usefull if you plan on gigging.

In terms of basses take your pick at what feels right to you. The jazz bass and similar Ibanez basses in the fashion would be quite versatile. Ibanez offers a lot more options in terms of what's available verses the fender jazz. Just try but you buy and I'm sure if you play enough you will find something you like.
__________________
My band
Facebook
Youtube
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
jessesixstring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Been playing Ibanez for about 13 years... Awesome instruments.
jessesixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudger
Are you planning on gigging at some point? That could make a big difference in terms of what to look for in a amp. A DI would be usefull if you plan on gigging.

In terms of basses take your pick at what feels right to you. The jazz bass and similar Ibanez basses in the fashion would be quite versatile. Ibanez offers a lot more options in terms of what's available verses the fender jazz. Just try but you buy and I'm sure if you play enough you will find something you like.


I am not really planning on gigging, but I never really planned on gigging when I was playing guitar neither. I guess I want an amp I could gig with, but is good for playing in just the man cave.

I am leaning towards a J bass. I am low on the versatile threshold. What is versatile for others is complicated for me. That said, I so like the feel of the Ibby's I have handled. My last guitar was one of the Ibby Artcore semi-hollow body models, and it was awesome and played like butter. Just can't get Ibby out of my mind.
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner
 
Spanner93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap
I am not really planning on gigging, but I never really planned on gigging when I was playing guitar neither. I guess I want an amp I could gig with, but is good for playing in just the man cave.

I am leaning towards a J bass. I am low on the versatile threshold. What is versatile for others is complicated for me. That said, I so like the feel of the Ibby's I have handled. My last guitar was one of the Ibby Artcore semi-hollow body models, and it was awesome and played like butter. Just can't get Ibby out of my mind.


The Ibby's are some of the best entry level instruments, and something like the SR300 or 500 is a simple or as complicated as you like.

Amp-wise, I cannot recommend the Peavey TKO Tour 115 enough. A bit on the heavy & large size, but shitloads of noise and it sounds good (450w, although it's fine at low volumes too). Also it's powerful enough for medium sized gigs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
DerkBTB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
The Ibby's are some of the best entry level instruments, and something like the SR300 or 500 is a simple or as complicated as you like.

Amp-wise, I cannot recommend the Peavey TKO Tour 115 enough. A bit on the heavy & large size, but shitloads of noise and it sounds good (450w, although it's fine at low volumes too). Also it's powerful enough for medium sized gigs.


I also suggest one of these, specifically the SR500. I have had one for two months now and is hands down the best bass I've ever owned. You get a really nice finish, active Bartolini pickups and an eq. They run $600 new but look around and see if you can find one cheaper. I was able to trade a Squier Vintage Modified Series P-Bass for one.
DerkBTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkBTB
I also suggest one of these, specifically the SR500. I have had one for two months now and is hands down the best bass I've ever owned. You get a really nice finish, active Bartolini pickups and an eq. They run $600 new but look around and see if you can find one cheaper. I was able to trade a Squier Vintage Modified Series P-Bass for one.


I have been looking at the SR500, and I am very interested by it. Sadly, I will probably have to buy brand new. As a hobby, I have scanned my local Craigslist a few times a week for anything music or motorcycle related for about 8 years now. My local Craigslist sucks. It really does. Nobody around here has good taste in gear apparently. That's ok though, even buying one full retail allows me some good cash to spend on a combo amp.
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Ran down to my local shop and messed around with an SR500 and an SR600. I am about positive that I am going to pick either one of those up. Both feel very nice to me even though I am a bass noob.
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I waded into bass a short while ago. I play keyboards and guitar, but ran into some friends who were looking for a warm body who could pretend to play bass, and they figured I could pick it up in the time they had before their first gig.

It turns the bass guitar itself probably isn't all that important. My first was a used Fender Squier Skull MB-4. It's a silly pirate-themed bass (skull and crossbones graphic) that I found in perfect condition for under $100. Four strings, full size, P & J pickups, blend knob, all passive. My second was an '89 Carvin LB75, a five-string with active pickups, perfect condition, and an outstanding and very versatile bass. I've got my eyes open for a decent Variax 705 and then I should be done for a while. None of these are what you find on a GC wall.

Carvin makes outstanding combos and if you're on a budget, I think they're the best in the business. My bass guru, however, steered me away from a combo. He said, "Might as well get started on a proper rig, and best if it's modular."

Apparently the most important component is the cabinet. I've seen everything from bass players, including monster 8x10s that weigh a ton. He directed me to a fEARful 12/6/1 built of a kind of plywood I'd hever heard of. He found it used (someone was moving to a different cab by the same designer). A 12" woofer, 6" mids, 1" tweeter, neo-based. I was dismayed when I saw how small and light it was (under 40 lbs!). Surely that can't produce *real* bass, can it? And then we went out and picked up a Carvin BX1500. Wait, fifteen hundred watts?! The Carvin weighs 10 lbs. Total rig weight, under 50 lbs. The Carvin 500W bass combo rigs, on the other hand weigh 57 lbs. My rig went lower, louder (no farting out) and had uncolored frequency response across the spectrum. I can actually use that little sucker in an amazing range of gigging situations, and it'll easily handle 600W at 8 ohms. I've since added a pair of fEARless (a different range of speakers by the same designer) F115s (google them). These will handle the full 1500W output or 900W into a single cabinet and the pair will easily outshout any SVT 8x10. But they're under 40 lbs a cabinet as well. At this point, I can go from compact practice rig to arena gig with a single bass head; I just pick which cabinets go. I can one-hand the cabinet and carry the bass in a gig bag and the head over one shoulder. It's a one-trip carry, even up stairs, and you can put everything in a Honda Fit.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
46 and 2
Registered User
 
46 and 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
For $1200 you could get a really nice bass second-hand plus a very reasonable rig, if you're willing to take the risk. Remember; most important rule of buying second hand, or indeed brand new, is try before you buy. If you like Jazz basses then a second-hand Geddy Lee sig would fit perfectly within your budget; they sound great, the necks are just amazing and they look gorgeous.

I would also recommend hunting around for some second hand Trace Elliot gear - it's affordable now as it has somewhat fallen out of fashion though it's all practically indestructible and has a really solid tone.

Last edited by 46 and 2 : 08-15-2013 at 01:15 PM.
46 and 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Can somebody with the experience really point out to me what the differences are between the SR500 and SR600? Doesn't look like much to me...

Thanks for all the replies, especially about used gear. I am all about it, but good used gear is hard to come by here.
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner
 
Spanner93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap
Can somebody with the experience really point out to me what the differences are between the SR500 and SR600? Doesn't look like much to me...


TBH there isn't much difference.

As all things ibby tend to go:

Anything prefaced with a "G" is an entry level instrument: GSR180, GAX30 etc.

Thereafter anything between "300"-"700" is an intermediate instrument, so both the 500 and the 600 are practically the same bass, barring a few negligible little extras on the 600. However the difference between a 300 and a 600 will be more noticeable.

Anything over "700" is a higher end model, like the SR1200 or the ATK1200.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
anarkee
oh the horror!
 
anarkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Satellite of love
The differences are usually in woods used and pickups. I had an SR800 for a while--loved it and it was rather versatile for harder and classic rock.
__________________
"I have suffered for my music and now it's your turn." Neil Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
pachap
Hack in training.
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
TBH there isn't much difference.

As all things ibby tend to go:

Anything prefaced with a "G" is an entry level instrument: GSR180, GAX30 etc.

Thereafter anything between "300"-"700" is an intermediate instrument, so both the 500 and the 600 are practically the same bass, barring a few negligible little extras on the 600. However the difference between a 300 and a 600 will be more noticeable.

Anything over "700" is a higher end model, like the SR1200 or the ATK1200.


That actually helps quite a bit, thanks. I don't really see much of a reason to get a 600 over a 500. May as well save a bit of cash to go towards an amp or other gear.
__________________
Ibanez SR1200E
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.