Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
IAMDAVEKLINE

Which custom build guitar kits are decent, if any?

This is my first post here so sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere here. I am interested in possibly purchasing one of the many inexpensive built kits from the internet and was wondering if anyone here had any insight as to which ones were of better quality or not. I am not trying to spend a large amount of money as I am just looking for a project to try my hand on. Thanks
IAMDAVEKLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Guitbuilder

You get what you pay for. I've heard that the Saga kits are bottom of the line. I'm building an amazing Olson and Co. guitar kit ES -175, with flamed maple veneer body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard. Great kit. Great support. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitbuilder : 08-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
IAMDAVEKLINE

Thanks for the input man. Much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
fenderfrenzy101

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Classic...ETE_p_1205.html

I bought this kit back in April. It was actually my high school graduation project. Like Guitbuilder said, you get what you pay for. It plays fairly well for $160. The body is made of poplar, and it has a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. I switched out both pickups for some Seymour Duncans, because I assumed the ones included weren't good. One of the volume pots included didn't work properly, but I installed it anyway because I had a deadline, and after two months, it randomly started working one day. (No idea how, don't ask me). Also, the nut at the top of the neck isn't very good either. The high E string kept buzzing out on the first fret when played open. I bought a new nut from Guitar Center last week for about $15. I bought some Amber Stain from Stewmac and stained the entire body.

Despite those issues that are easy to work around, I highly recommend it, it's my baby.

I'd post some pictures of it stained if I knew how to insert them into posts.
fenderfrenzy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Guitbuilder

I don't know what type of guitar you want to build. A solid body painted Strat or Tele is a different build from an ES-335 or Les Paul. Any kit requires extra costs for educational materials, finishing supplies, upgrades, do overs, tools, etc.
If you want to build a beautiful guitar check out R.M. Olson kits at www.rmolsonguitars.com
His invintory is limited and his stuff goes fast. He might have some ES-345, and Les Paul type kits with amazing veneers left. Tell him Guitbuilder sent you.
If you commit to the build, start with the best kit you find. Build something you will be proud of. Take time to practice new skills before doing them to the kit. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitbuilder : 08-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
solidrane
Wekk Blka

Not necessarily the most inexpensive, but to many, these are the best:

https://buy.precisionguitarkits.com...ategory/guitars

Each neck is made for the body it comes with, unlike others where they make 100 necks and 100 bodies and just slap a neck and body in a box and send it to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
ridley 10000

I was going to ask the same think about DIY guitar kits. I want to make an SG, I found this site but I don't know any thing about it. Any info will help thanks!

http://diyguitarkits.net/sg.htm
ridley 10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
slayer1979

How 'bout those raw kits? Been seeing alot of ads on UG in the sidebars for them. I've been itching to make a Sonic Blue Tele for a while now. Are the necks any good? A good neck usually makes or breaks a guitar. The body I can work with if it's less than par.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
IAMDAVEKLINE

Thanks Guitbuilder. Will absolutely check that out. Does anyone have any feedback on PitBull guitar kits? They have a huge selection and seemingly look decent but I can't find many reviews on them. They actually have a few prs and ibanez styled builds that I was interested in.

Last edited by IAMDAVEKLINE : 08-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Rate This Thread: