Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
DerkBTB

Wanting to get a good bass rig, would like your opinions

Hello,

I recently started playing bass around April, and after playing for these past few months I am wanting to invest in a bass rig of my own as I have been using a rig belonging to the band I play in. I have a few ideas on the direction I want to go in, but would love to hear opinions from more experienced players here. Some helpful information first off is that I own an Ibanez SR500, and I play in a PostHarcore/Metalcore band.

What I'm considering:

Sansamp rackmount

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-SansAmp-RPM-Rackmount-Preamp-103017059-i1175934.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid^32411701361-sku^103017059@ADL4gc-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^13625724161

plus a good power amp

or a nice Vintage Fender Bassman Tube Head.

As far as a cabinent goes, I was considering a Fender Rumble 4x10 Cabinent.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DerkBTB : 08-13-2013 at 12:49 AM.
DerkBTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Budget?

To me it sounds pretty strange that you would run that expensive head into that cheap cabinet. I mean, Fender Rumble series is the cheapest series Fender has. And I'm sure you'll need to pay lots to get a Bassman head. Remember that speakers make a huge difference in sound. You don't want bad speakers.

Do you really need a Bassman head? It's just 50 or 100 watts (depending on the model), you won't get any clean sounds out of it at high volumes (if you are after clean tones - and even if you want dirt, I would rather buy a pedal for dirt because it might be that you will need a clean tone at some parts). And also, vintage Bassman + metalcore somehow doesn't sound right to me. You may want a bit more modern sound.

I'm not an expert when it comes to bass gear but I know that what you want isn't the best you could get. If you are going to buy a cab and a head, I would maybe try to buy a better cabinet and not so expensive head.

Maybe take a look at this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1561987

Oh, and the best thing to do would be to go to a music store and try some amps.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 08-13-2013 at 05:57 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Ziphoblat
Bass

Sansamp and a power amp (Class D Crown amp would be nice) definitely sounds like a good option to me. As for cabinets, budget is really the factor here. If you're using a Sansamp, you just want something to project your sound to yourself on stage, you don't need anything to colour your sound and mic up; you can just run DI from the Sansamp. Therefore I wouldn't bother with any big archaic back-breaking cabs; get a smaller, lighter and more powerful neo cab. If you can afford, depending on where you are in the world, I'd look into either fEARful or Barefaced cabinets. Failing that, Genz Benz also make some pretty good neodynium cabs a touch cheaper. If that's still a stretch on your budget, the GK lightweight cabs are meant to be pretty good too.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
piratelooksat30
Young with an old soul

I'd drop that Fender Rumble. That's Fender's beginner stuff.

I wouldn't drop that coin on that Fender Head either. Since you play Metal, I'd go with a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II (GK 700RB I is great for metal too) with a Mesa Powerhouse 8x10 (or PH412) or an ampeg 810. Mesa and Ampeg are both good for metal.
piratelooksat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
DerkBTB

The reason I even thought about a Bassman is because my dad has one and I really like how it sounds but I see what you guys are saying in regards to the head. Like I said I've been playing only a few months, I know hardly anything in regards to bass equipment in comparison to guitar equipment. As far as cabs go, now that I've been informed of the rumble being low end, I've reviewed my options. I would really like to buy a cab for under $1,000 as I am in college and on a budget. Here's a few a looked at, let me know what you think.

Mesa Boogie 4x10 Traditional Powerhouse $899

Mesa Boogie 6x10 Traditional Powerhouse $1,099

Ampeg SVT-610HLF Bass Cabinet $999

Again, I appreciate your insight/opinions very much!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Ziphoblat
Bass

There's really no point buying big heavy gear like that unless you've tried the particular cab and that cab alone produces the sound you want. 6x10s and 8x10s and all that malarky are for playing arenas when you have a crew of people and a big truck to carry it all around for you.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...0w-bass-cabinet

There you go.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
piratelooksat30
Young with an old soul

6x10's aren't for arena's zip, that's nonsense. You obviously don't see many bands play if you think they are strictly for arena's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkBTB
The reason I even thought about a Bassman is because my dad has one and I really like how it sounds but I see what you guys are saying in regards to the head. Like I said I've been playing only a few months, I know hardly anything in regards to bass equipment in comparison to guitar equipment. As far as cabs go, now that I've been informed of the rumble being low end, I've reviewed my options. I would really like to buy a cab for under $1,000 as I am in college and on a budget. Here's a few a looked at, let me know what you think.

Mesa Boogie 4x10 Traditional Powerhouse $899

Again, I appreciate your insight/opinions very much!

Seeing how you play metal and you were looking at the bassman, I suggested the 6x10. You wouldn't need more than that. However, I should have specified that a 4x10 will be sufficient. Anything smaller than a 4x10 (say a couple of 10's or 12's) and you are looking at possibly getting drowned by big dick guitar player playing on 11. Especially in a metal band. I played in a few bands and have done some gigs and have gotten by with less than 4 10's, but it eventually caught up with me and it sucks when you are in that situation and need more and you don' t have it. Go with the 410 mesa.
piratelooksat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratelooksat30
6x10's aren't for arena's zip, that's nonsense. You obviously don't see many bands play if you think they are strictly for arena's.

I see bands playing on a weekly basis. I see a few using 6x10's; but I've seen none using 6x10's for any sort of legitimate reason. It usually falls into either:

1) It looks cool (right...)
2) It sounds good (but I've gone DI from my head into the FOH anyway).
3) You need a massive cab to be heard (but I haven't made myself aware of any technological advancement from the last 30 years).

Quote:
Anything smaller than a 4x10 (say a couple of 10's or 12's) and you are looking at possibly getting drowned by big dick guitar player playing on 11. Especially in a metal band. I played in a few bands and have done some gigs and have gotten by with less than 4 10's, but it eventually caught up with me and it sucks when you are in that situation and need more and you don' t have it. Go with the 410 mesa.

Vertical alignment results in far better dispersion and consistent performance so you get more out of your speakers. Furthermore, my 2x12 cabinet with only 600 watts going into it can literally cause physical pain turned up to just half on the master volume. Factor in the fact that it will take a lot more punishment than just 600 watts, then if you were still struggling to be heard there are some deep rooted problems with your band that are responsible for that, not your equipment, and your hearing is probably ruined. Buy a 6x10 if you like, but there is literally not a single reason to do so unless you've heard that particular cabinet and think that the sound it produces is worth every other downside it has verse more modern takes on bass amplification (and if you're going to invest in a good microphone to take to gigs which will portray the sound of your cab to the audience).

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 08-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
DerkBTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratelooksat30

Seeing how you play metal and you were looking at the bassman, I suggested the 6x10. You wouldn't need more than that. However, I should have specified that a 4x10 will be sufficient. Anything smaller than a 4x10 (say a couple of 10's or 12's) and you are looking at possibly getting drowned by big dick guitar player playing on 11. Especially in a metal band. I played in a few bands and have done some gigs and have gotten by with less than 4 10's, but it eventually caught up with me and it sucks when you are in that situation and need more and you don' t have it. Go with the 410 mesa.

Our band plays on average one gig per-week or more, and I've seen many 8x10 and 6x10 rigs between unsigned bands and touring bands, that's the only reason I mentioned it. I like the GK that you showed me the link to, but I've played through one before and while it was a fine cab, it's not quite what I need. I think that the 4x10 version would be a great choice though, as anything GK that I've ever heard live seemed to be really good. I go through the scenario that pirate mentioned, I have two Peavy 6505+'s on each side of the stage that drown me out. And I don't want to drown them out by no means either, I just get tired of hearing "your band is great, but the guitar drowns you out" after almost every set. Sometimes we don't play venues with legit sound systems and efficient mic-ing set ups, so that's why I would at least like a 4x10.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
DerkBTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I see bands playing on a weekly basis. I see a few using 6x10's; but I've seen none using 6x10's for any sort of legitimate reason. It usually falls into either:

1) It looks cool (right...)
2) It sounds good (but I've gone DI from my head into the FOH anyway).
3) You need a massive cab to be heard (but I haven't made myself aware of any technological advancement from the last 30 years).

Point 2 is where I fell into as suggesting the 6x10. I'll admit, I also think they look badass. I'm going to get a cab before a head as that's what I need the most at this point, so I want to buy something I know will do me good for the long run. I would like the Sansamp to run out of the DI once I make that purchase, as it is really convenient to do so.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkBTB
Point 2 is where I fell into as suggesting the 6x10. I'll admit, I also think they look badass. I'm going to get a cab before a head as that's what I need the most at this point, so I want to buy something I know will do me good for the long run. I would like the Sansamp to run out of the DI once I make that purchase, as it is really convenient to do so.

Why do you need cab more than a head? You need both, don't you? Or do you already have a head?

Oh, and when I said "If you are going to buy a cab and a head, I would maybe try to buy a better cabinet and not so expensive head" I noticed that you could easily misunderstand what I was trying to say. What I meant was, don't spend only $300 on a cab and $2000 on a head. Split the budget. Get a good head and a good cab, not a vintage head (that may not even sound better than a cheaper head - the "vintage" thing adds value and also the fact that it's tube, but you may not even want tube because bass sound is mostly clean and solid state works for cleans really well) and a beginner cab. Both head and cab are important (and to be heard you need to buy a powerful enough head).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 08-14-2013 at 05:40 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
JKing138

Like Zip said, if you run a DI to the desk, then the cab is basically for you only and does not really contribute when you are playing into a house PA system. If your playing a gig with a sound guy and not being heard its either because the sound guy is mixing you out, or you need to work on your tone. Get your guitarists to turn their bass down a little and boost your mids.
JKing138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
DerkBTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Why do you need cab more than a head? You need both, don't you? Or do you already have a head?

Oh, and when I said "If you are going to buy a cab and a head, I would maybe try to buy a better cabinet and not so expensive head" I noticed that you could easily misunderstand what I was trying to say. What I meant was, don't spend only $300 on a cab and $2000 on a head. Split the budget. Get a good head and a good cab, not a vintage head (that may not even sound better than a cheaper head - the "vintage" thing adds value and also the fact that it's tube, but you may not even want tube because bass sound is mostly clean and solid state works for cleans really well) and a beginner cab. Both head and cab are important (and to be heard you need to buy a powerful enough head).

I think you may have misunderstand me. Yes, I do need both a head and a cab, but the cab I am using now is a piece of crap, so after I was informed that the rumble cab wasn't that good, I'd rather buy a good cab now. My reasoning for getting the cab over the head first is that quite a few of the shows we play are just floor shows in small venues or even house shows where we are not going through a PA. The head I am currently using is good enough to hold me over so I could save more money for a month or two to get that Sansamp Rackmount Head and a nice power-amp. Again, I don't know a lot about this stuff, I'm still learning so sorry if I'm being a bit confusing.

Last edited by DerkBTB : 08-14-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Rate This Thread: