Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Big Mufff Tone Wicker Issue

Hey guys.

I'm in need of your help in figuring out what a certain component that broke on my Big Muff (alright, stop laughing in the back, it's only a noun, get over it) whilst I was replacing the light. I broke the strip of wire that connects the footswitch to the PCB (the wires frayed as I was taking the circuit out of the enclosure) I've highlighted the part which I'm talking about in the photo below.

The problem is I have no idea what that particular type of wire is called I'm pretty sure it's easy to get a replacement but I'm stuck as I don't know what to search for. So help me out please!! I'm relatively new to working with pedals so I really appreciate the help. Cheers!!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Invader Jim

It's a ribbon cable. Same thing used in computers to connect CD drives and hard drives to the motherboard.

You could just replace it with individual wires if it is too short to strip back and resolder.

Last edited by Invader Jim : 08-14-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Ah brilliant Invader Jim! I have something to search now. The bad news is that the ribbon cable that was originally used was thrown away by my Dad, so the option of re-use has to be thrown out (literally) So is there any particular type of ribbon cable I should search for to act as a replacement? Meaning is there ribbon cables which have various types of wire in them (like ground wire ect) or are they all just multi purpose, so I could just use any of type of ribbon cable? Also, I've just had a quick search, and a 6 pin ribbon cable is pretty hard to get in the UK, is it ok if I bought say, a 9 pin cable and just removed the unnecessary strips? Hopefully you can see what I'm saying without me looking like a complete idiot. haha
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

Like Jim said, you can replace it with 6 individual insulated wires if ribbon cable is hard to find where you live. The end result will be the same.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Invader Jim

Ribbon cable is just wires that happen to be in a flat insulated ribbon. Nothing special.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Ahh ok. Thanks for your help guys.

Rate This Thread: