Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
rXp

Question How are scales made ? (not only major)

Hello,

I really would like to know how are scales made.
By that I don't mean the major or minor scales but the "others" :
diminished, blues, lydian, aeolian, phrygian, dorian, etc.
It's easy to find them and learn them but I want to understand them and know how they are put together.
With the chords it's easy, I know how to make a chord from a scale and then get the add9 of the chord for example. I would like to be able to do the same with scales but I can't find any place with these information.

Could you help me ?

rXp>!<
rXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Graggk

i don't know for sure if this is what you are looking for, but google "circle of fifths".
Graggk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
rXp

Not really no.
I know how to make major and minor scale. But I don't know how the "others" are made.
Everything but the major and minor.
rXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

moved to MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rXp
Not really no.
I know how to make major and minor scale. But I don't know how the "others" are made.
Everything but the major and minor.

More than 90% in the western music is derived from the major scale mate.So if you really knew your major scale you would now for example that Dorian phrygian lydian are actually like inversions of the major scale or that aeolian is actually the minor scale you claim to know.

So your solution is simple.Learn a solid way to study scales..if you know how to study one you ll know what to do with the others.
So start with the major scale even if you think you know it.Learn its construction by heart(the succesion of tones and semitones) learn to sing it without mistakes(critical!!!)Harmonize it making chords from it and learn some basic application.Only then you start to know the scale.

So next...the process is the same..Dorian:you learn its contruction(1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7) ,learn to sing it...(even a grandma can sing a major scale but are you sure you can sing the dorian even without an instrument? try it its not as easy as it seems at least in the beggining but maybe the most helpful tip)...then harmonize it and you ll find out that its just like the major but starting from the second chord etc etc etc then learn to apply it....things like that.

Try this process for every scale and you ll soon find out how they tick and their relationiships with eachother.....Most of them are just manipulations of the major scale blues scale,pentatonics you name it.....study the major scale that way though first cause its the mother of everything..dont assume you know it .
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
_LoveFuzz_

You can't really know how to make a major and minor scale and not know how to make the "others". It is the same process, just different tonics and intervals. You list Aeolian as an "other", you don't understand, but say you know how to make a minor scale - they are the same thing.

Look up the diatonic scale in wikipedia see how the C Ionian (Major) scale relates to the A Aeolian (Minor) scale and the other five modes.

Last edited by _LoveFuzz_ : 08-15-2013 at 12:29 PM.
_LoveFuzz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

An old man with a craggy face and long grey beard crafts them in his cabin in the Appalachians of West Virginia alongside his pet gull. Some people say his name is Dundee, but any more than a whisper and he vanishes. Some say Dundee died long ago and only his spirit lives on in the gull, carrying on the artisanal service is his name.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
_LoveFuzz_

Quote:
his spirit lives on in the gull

Summon him.
_LoveFuzz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

lulz at the two guys up there ^^^ look up "modes" in the MT Forum and you should probably get your answer. Those are the "others" you're looking for. I suggest these two:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=503032
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1042392

He does ask about something I've been wondering though, about the Blues scale and the pentatonics and such. Where are those from? Some old black guy in the 20s just made up his own theory or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!

Last edited by eric_wearing : 08-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
wolflen

from wikipedia.....

In music, a synthetic scale is a scale which has been derived from a traditional diatonic major scale through the alteration of one degree by a semitone in either direction.[1] Composer Ferruccio Busoni originally explored these scales in his A New Esthetic of Music[2] and their number and variety were later clarified by J. Murray Barbour who also proposed the application of the procedure to scales of more or less than seven degrees, including pentatonic scales.[1]

These synthetic pitch collections may serve as the basic melodic and/or harmonic material for a passage of music. However, the thousands of available scales cause Murray Barbour to propose that, "the whole problem is of greater theoretical interest than of practical worth."[

Last edited by wolflen : 08-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoveFuzz_
Summon him.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...er.php?u=439361
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_wearing
He does ask about something I've been wondering though, about the Blues scale and the pentatonics and such. Where are those from? Some old black guy in the 20s just made up his own theory or what?

The major pentatonic is the major scale without the 4th and seventh
The minor pentatonic is the minor scale without the second and minor sixth.
They have been around since the beginning time across all cultures.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
cdgraves

Scales are a derived concept. You look at the chords/harmony in a phrase, see what notes are present in a meaningful way, and then write them down in ascending order. That's how scales are made.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: