Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Kraig82

New pickups or new guitar?

I am in the possession of two guitars with stock electronics and hardware, and and looking to upgrade my rig in some shape or form. I have an ESP LTD EC-50 in black and an Ibanez RG370DX in Digital Camo. Though these guitar are arguable built for heavier music, my taste in playing in Classic Rock in the vein of Led Zeppelin and Van Halen, as well as some SRV and the like. My question is whether it is worth it to change the pickups on these guitars or just invest in a new guitar entirely? Pickup suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

-Cols. Hans Landa AKA The Jew Hunter,
Inglourious Basterds
Kraig82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Well, it would be obviously cheaper to slap a pair of pickups in both guitars, than to replace them. If other than sound wise you're happy with them, just change the pickups. Or at least try swapping the pickups on the guitar that you think is warmer sounding for starters.

It wouldn't hurt to back your pickups away from the strings a bit, and adjust the pole pieces to tailor the sound a bit. Experiment a bit, and see what you can come up with.

You could argue that a heavier Les Paul style body might have a bit richer, vintage sound than your 2 axes, but that could also be subjective. Then too, choice of amp, or amp model is going to play a big part as well.

I believe a lot of guys use PAF style pickups for vintage rock. I'm pretty sure your Ibanez pickups are edgier and hotter than those. DiMarziio and Seymour Duncan both make PAF humbuckers.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-16-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
johnnykbop

Well what's your amp like anyway?
johnnykbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Kraig82

Fender Frontman 212R. Basically, its a 100 watt PA combo in my use as I put all my guitars through a Boss GT-8.

-Cols. Hans Landa AKA The Jew Hunter,
Inglourious Basterds
Kraig82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
The Locust

Roll back volume, turn back up for boost for solo? No expense made and a boost all in one!
The Locust is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: