Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
dsomma93

How bad is my technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKX1...eature=youtu.be

Right hand-- Ascending back up it feels unnatural. New to economy picking up though

Left hand-- how the heck do i angle my hand? left hand is killing me and i need to relearn properly
dsomma93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Your right hand seems to be a bit tense. You could also try for slightly smaller actions, although that's clearly easier said than done.

Move your guitar's neck towards the ceiling or move the guitar higher up your chest.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Your left hand wrist should be straight. That being said, get that elbow of your body..

Also, for future reference:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1091796
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
ChrisN
I signed up for this?

Ascending, you fretting hand fingers are staying quite close to the strings as they should. Descending, they're flying away from the strings much more. Attempt to reduce that and keep them nice and close.

As mentioned, your picking hand does look a little stiff but I recall mine reacting the same way when first trying to play economy. It will even out in time but just try to be more aware and actively begin to relax more.

Edit: You're hitting the strings nice and cleanly. I did notice the odd note that was slightly scuffed. Simply play at about half the tempo you did in this video and iron out those mistakes.

Last edited by ChrisN : 08-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
dsomma93

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Your left hand wrist should be straight. That being said, get that elbow of your body..

Also, for future reference:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1091796

I'm trying to play with my hand straight, but when I'm playing on the E or A string I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it. Is that just something you can't control? I've tried angling the guitar neck and raising the strap. I can only move my elbow so far forward. Standing or sitting I'm having trouble with it.

Maybe my guitar neck should be angled to point more away from my body?

I've seen both of his vids on posture and have watched a lot of others. Can't seem to get it right
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
dsomma93

Here's another video. No matter what I do I can't seem to find a position where my left wrist doesn't feel strained. Unless I sit My fingers aren't extremely tiny. Maybe it's the way I bend them?

My guitar strap is super high and I've angled the guitar pretty high too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Whg...eature=youtu.be
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
ChrisN
I signed up for this?

Don't move your elbow forward too much. Move it to the left so it's away from your body slightly (edit: only needs to be a matter of a few inches - will be different for everyone) and not tucked tight against your side. Other than that you look good.

Edit 2: Watching again, you actually seem to do it from time to time.
about 1.00-1.20 you have it tucked tight in and your wrist looks horribly strained. Then at 1.25 you move it all over. 1.30, you have a nice relaxed looking posture, then the instant you start playing you tense and pull your elbow back in. Playing slower and trying to be more consistent will help.
I'm not saying you should find one single position and stay there, but you're telling your body to do a hold load of work it doesn't and need to.

Last edited by ChrisN : 08-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
dsomma93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN
Don't move your elbow forward too much. Move it to the left so it's away from your body slightly (edit: only needs to be a matter of a few inches - will be different for everyone) and not tucked tight against your side. Other than that you look good.

Edit 2: Watching again, you actually seem to do it from time to time.
about 1.00-1.20 you have it tucked tight in and your wrist looks horribly strained. Then at 1.25 you move it all over. 1.30, you have a nice relaxed looking posture, then the instant you start playing you tense and pull your elbow back in. Playing slower and trying to be more consistent will help.
I'm not saying you should find one single position and stay there, but you're telling your body to do a hold load of work it doesn't and need to.

I've been trying to find a position that's comfortable and safe for playing. I'll definitely keep my elbow off my body.
Yeah my wrist is super strained and I'm still trying to fix it. Hopefully the elbow thing helps a lot. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
raredesign

Well, you could pick it up and use your teeth, or just swing it behind your head :-)

I think you are doing well. the guys here made some good points for an outline, but if you are comfortable and not getting tense or strained, then go for it. There are slight variances in our anatomies that will cause differences in position from person to person. While there are good mechanic outlines to follow, simply having shorter or longer fingers, shorter or longer elbow radius, or body width can change that.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: