Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
richard.podmela
Registered User
 
richard.podmela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Electric shock while playing on guitar - need HELP !

Hi ive got quite a big problem and i need help.
I played on my guitar which was connected to my external sound card M-Audio fast track Mk. II, a then when i was finnished playing i touched to guitar connector and i got really big electric shock.
When i started to play i didnt get any shocks.
Can somebody please tell me what could be a problem ?
Im using laptop lenovo Ideapad Y550p.

Thanks for every answer

Last edited by richard.podmela : 08-17-2013 at 08:01 PM.
richard.podmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Sounds like your guitar isn't grounded correctly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
richard.podmela
Registered User
 
richard.podmela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Hmmm, i dont think that is the problem, because i have another guitar and bass, and im getting shock even when i play on them ...
richard.podmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Is your laptop plugged into the wall outlet? Try changing outlets, or unplugging it and running off the battery to make sure it's not the power source.

A grounding issue is really the only thing I can think of that would cause this. I've had this happen to me with amps before and it was because of improper grounding.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
richard.podmela
Registered User
 
richard.podmela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Yea, so its wrong outlet. I tried to play on guitar with only battery in laptop for long time and i didnt get any shock. Well im living in quite old house, so this is probably the problem. I will call an electrician.
Thank you very much for that advice with battery, much appreciated
richard.podmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
No probs, glad you figured it out
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.