Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #61
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

I'll have my reviews up sometime tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
RiffYourFaceOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #62
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

^
Same. I need to re-listen to stuff, when I don't have a shitload of homework. So, tomorrow afternoon, it is, guys.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #63
UnarmedLad

I'm certainly enjoying the competition thus far! I'm glad I decided to join. It's difficult to write something meaningful about such short pieces of music, but here is my attempt:

The Wildchild: 3.5 - Good riff; maybe a bit meat-and-potatoes.
Ultraussie: 1.5 - Hard to make out and hard to make out to; sounds a bit too chuggy for my tastes in this genre.
RiffYourFaceOff: 4.0 - Another pretty basic riff, but it reminds me of all the classics in the genre.
Sanitarium91: 5.0 - Awesome! If this were in a song, it would be one of those riffs that really stick with you; a real highlight!
Helloween4Ever: 3.5 - Didn't remind me of Helloween. Could have been a bit more melodically adventurous, but still a nice riff.
The Virtuoso: 3.5 - I really like the hammer-ons/pull-offs between the chords, along with the progression itself, but it sounds very chaotic rhythmically. If cleaned up, this could have been a 4.0 or 4.5.
crazysam23_Atax: 3.0 - Very basic. Not bad, but could have been more interesting.
SaintVitus: 3.5 - Nice progression. You could have taken it a bit further though.
Kytokinesis: 4.0 - Nice! Sounds like a classic power metal riff.
NosferatuZodd09: 4.5 - Sounds exciting and well-composed. Reminds me of Amon Amarth in the way that it uses lower notes as a rhythmic backdrop to a lead-like melody higher up.
Abomination94: 4.0 - Hits the right notes. Tightly played!
Jehannum: 4.0 - Good riff. Also reminds me of Amon Amarth (maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something?). Takes me to the mood of songs like Runes to My Memory.

I guess I liked the melodic riffs the best. The more supportive/rhythm type of riffs did less for me, and I guess that's mostly because we're hearing them in isolation here. Still, I applaud everyone that decided to come through with participating.
UnarmedLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #64
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

Helloween4Ever: 3.5
Ultraussie: 2
Sanitarium91: 4.5
The Wildchild: 4
UnarmedLad: 3.5
Jehannum: 3.5
Kytokinesis: 4
SaintVitus: 3
crazysam23_Atax: 2.5
The Virtuoso: 3.5
NosferatuZodd09: 3
Abomination94: 4

I'll hopefully append this post with a sentence of criticism for each riff within a day or so.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #65
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

The Wildchild: 4.5/5
RiffYourFaceOff: 4.0/5
Helloween4ever: 3/5
Ultraussie: (Couldn't hear anything)
Sanitarium91: 4.5/5
UnarmedLad: 3.5/5
Jehannum: 3/5
Kytokinesis: 4/5
SaintVitus: 3/5
The Virtuoso: 3.5/5
NosferatuZodd09: 3.5/5
Abomination94: 4/5

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #66
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

Will try to be as non generic with my review of the riffs lol which might fail (caught myself using too many buzzwords but I think I righted the ship)

Also thanks Lad! I wasn't going for anything Amon Amarth (never have or will) but haha I think in a way the melody's actually carried by the rhythm note given it progresses and develops different intervals in conjuction with the lead notes; whereas the lead line is a static pattern glad you caught that. As for Sanitarium haha whoops I'll tune my guitar well for the next round :P I confess I wasn't trying to go typical heavy metal with that but perhaps what my take on a genre riff would be were I to write a song [ I often use intervals like those ] lol

here are my reviews

Helloween4Ever - 3.5/5 - Actually really liked this one, I love riffs that are more than just a few powerchords haha. and I liked the note choices.

Ultraussie - 1.5/5 - sadly it's incredibly hard to hear although I think I finally figured out what it is,

Sanitarium91 - 5/5 - hell this is as good a heavy metal riff as I've heard; l think I might just as well just give it a five lol. I love the progression and the interval usage, I WANT A TAB DAMNIT

Da Wile Chile - 4/5 - pretty awesome riff, also classick as **** haha. not much else to say. just classic.

RiffYourFaceOff - 3.5/5 - strong entry for sure, also a very traditional tone to it. classy stuff. gotta love the groove of those triplets hah

UnarmedLad - 3.5/5 - it's great how you develop the riff with those few fills upon the repeat it really takes it to another level.

Jehannum - 4/5 - I quite like the intervals you picked and everything about it seemed more elaborate than your average heavy metal riff. all in a sweet entry, would definitely like to see a tab for it haha. Although the ending feels a tad awkward lol

Kytokinesis - 3.5/5 - I was gonna give it a four or maybe a 4.5 at first.. but it just ended so damn suddenly it didn't feel like it concluded what so ever, otherwise I think it was fantastic, great note progression/choice. I really liked where it was going

SaintVitus - 3/5 - as heavy metal as it gets haha

crazysam23_atax - 2.5/5 - for some reason it didn't do much for me and it didn't seem... to go anywhere, it was just liking something to stand out I guess?

TakenBR - 3/5 - while I think it was a fresh idea it wasn't executed in the best of ways, it seems to randomly go into that harmonics section for no reason. I think had that been developed better it would of had a higher score.

The Virtuoso - 3.5/5 - just like above I think it was a good and refreshing idea however I think in execution it fell a bit short. the extra hammer ons and what not just felt a bit forced or a tad.. off and it gave the song awkward timing. although perhaps you were trying to get some prog elements in your heavy metal. As for me though it felt a bit awkward even with such foresight

Abomination94 - 4/5 - sounds pretty legit. very much emboding the spirit of heavy metal but as Sanitarium said with a more "menacing" vibe, yet not something I'd call truly menacing.. (heavier than standard flare heavy metal perhaps? more oriented towards war themes maybe or stuff of the sort)

it seems that is all, personally for me Sanitarium won the round, but there were some great riffs all in all. I think I'm going to tune my guitar better and reupload mine even if the judgings over haha. and will get the next round's riff ready, HMMM.

Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 : 09-10-2013 at 09:14 PM.
NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #67
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger

Helloween4Ever - 3.5/5 - I don't know why, but this makes me think of a bass riff as a backing to a guitar rhythm. Not bad.

Ultraussie - 1.5/5 - I think you can be more creative with the rhythm instead of how straightforward you were. It is hard to hear though.

Sanitarium91 - 5/5 - You're just an asshole! That was a great riff man. I really like the nice twangy feel you have; it reminds me of the really old school rock/heavy metal era.

The Wildchild - 3/5 - Good start. I'd like to hear where else you would take this riff.

RiffYourFaceOff - 3/5 - Not bad. Maybe start throwing in some nice, chunky chords to vary up the rhythm later on.

UnarmedLad - 3/5 - Good classic feel, although I get more a doomy feel than I do power or heavy metal. Good job nonetheless.

Jehannum - 5/5 -I can totally hear some badass falsettos over that intro. Great riff man.

Kytokinesis - 4/5 - I am totally getting an Iron Maiden feel from this, and I'd definitely like to hear where you're going to take it. Nice.

SaintVitus - 3/5 - Solid riff. Just get some nicer, heavier distortion with some drums and you're good to go.

crazysam23_atax - 2/5 -I was waiting for this to go somewhere, but it went exactly where I thought it would go. A little too tame and basic for my tastes.

NosferatuZodd09 -4/5 - I like this riff a lot, although I get more a melodic death metal feel than heavy metal. I'm still giving it a four.

The Virtuoso - 6/5- This is clearly the best riff ever written. Yeah, the rhythm is off, because I took like 5 minutes to record and didn't bother to clean it up, but you get the basic idea.

Abomination94 - 4/5 - Very nice riff. I can picture tanks driving over skulls with a standard of two snakes facing each other.

Onward brothers!
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #68
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

rofl a standard of two snakes

and haha dang it, I figured that riff could fit either of these three genres enough lol :P [heavy metal or power metal since it does use similar intervals here and there and well melodeath] but I think if it was melodeath it'd be the very heavy metal-ey/power metal-ey side of it.. later in the same song there's a variation that's IMO a lot better but it's a lot darker and I think it wouldn't've fit this round ;c
NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #69
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virtuoso
Helloween4Ever - 3.5/5 - I don't know why, but this makes me think of a bass riff as a backing to a guitar rhythm. Not bad.

Probably because I've been a bassist for longer than I have been playing guitar I wasn't going for the traditional heavy metal sound, I wanted more of a Tad Morose esque sound which might explain that.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #70
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Alright, we might as well kick off round 2, Wildchild and Ultraussie can still join the game as long as they post their reviews. We obviously want as many of us to continue as possible, but at some point we have to move on if we don't hear from them. I'm hoping that the sooner we start this round, the sooner everyone has posted their riff.

Anyways, here's my round 2 riff. I think someone already uploaded their thrash riff, too, but please post them here again so they'll be easier to find.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #71
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #72
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Will try to upload my riff tonight.

Edit:
Thrash/Speed Metal Riff

There's my upload. Just a note: I will probably not have any reviews up until Tuesday. I will be gone as of tomorrow night and won't be back until Monday night late.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #73
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #74
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #75
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

Location: Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
Please pick one of those 3 riffs and record it.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Abomination94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #76
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Well it was meant to be its own little movement, but it is a little long ha. I'll re-record one of them and upload it tomorrow or Saturday. But I don't think we ever formally decided on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomination94
Valid point. We could do it like this; instead of just a riff, contestants create a short piece that fits the round/tournaments theme, it can be as complex as you want but pieces have to be under, say, a minute and half max.

Or we could stick to the original idea and just do a single riff. If everyone posts how they'd prefer to do it, we'll go with the most popular option.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #77
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion

Location: Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
Yeah true, but no one really made their opinion clear so we just went with the original idea. If we do this again I think we should try making a short piece rather than a single riff. It's probably be more interesting.
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...

Last edited by Abomination94 : 09-20-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Abomination94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #78
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I don't know what all the fuss was about anyway, since the riff I uploaded was clearly just a single riff. I don't know, maybe you guys should check again RIFF
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #79
UnarmedLad

Bit of a weird one this one. Hope it's thrash enough for ya (and not too extended): my entry for round 2.
UnarmedLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #80
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

Here's my thrash riff

Quote:

Rate This Thread: