Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
sennagalous

Pesky High's

Hey guy's, I'm having trouble getting rid of some squeaky highs in a track and wanted to see what kind of advice you could offer.
So far I have tried isolating the frequency 32k maybe? (Not currently at the studio)
On the monitors it sounds fine but on my laptop which is mostly high end the squeak is incredibly present. Any advice on the squeak or general feedback on the recording quality would be greatly appreciated.
[forbidden link] (The squeak starts around 3:20)
sennagalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
sennagalous

Oh no! How do I post a link to sound cloud? I didn't read anything against that in the rules.
Well if you go to facebook.com/shadowtagsc it's the song called echoes.

Last edited by sennagalous : 08-19-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
chatterbox272

There isn't anything against it, you get forbidden link if you havent posted much usually to help deal with spambots
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

32k is above the range of human hearing. More likely you'll want to check the 2k-10k band.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
sennagalous

haha Sorry for some reason i see 32k in my head, again I'm not currently at the studio... Do you have any advice for taming down the squeaks?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
sennagalous

Last edited by sennagalous : 08-20-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennagalous
haha Sorry for some reason i see 32k in my head, again I'm not currently at the studio... Do you have any advice for taming down the squeaks?

My gear is packed up right now so I can't listen to your link but I can offer advice.

To find a trouble spot in the treble, grab your favorite parametric eq plugin (whatever comes with your DAW will be sufficient). Set a band to a narrow bandwith and a boost of about 6 to 9 dB. Sweep through the higher frequencies from 1kHz and above slowly with your mouse. You should hear a weird effect like whistling wind blowing through a neighborhood. As you sweep through, the trouble spot will jump out at you. If there's a problem with a specific frequency ringing out, you'll hear it as you pass by. Stop the band on that specific frequency, and instead do a cut of 4-12 dB as necessary (keeping a narrow bandwidth.

This is important for when you have distorted guitars, especially if you use amp simulators. Now that you know how to find this, you can keep listening for it. Eventually you'll be able to hear it without using the eq plugin trick- that'll make mixing a lot faster and cleaner in the future. Don't be afraid to widen the bandwith on the cut if frequencies around the problem area are too pronounced as well. The revers is also true; use a narrower eq bandwidth if you need to.

BTW- a lot of amp sims and heavily distorted guitars have a weird whistle around 4 kHz. That's a good place to start looking for problem areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
sennagalous

Thanks man, you rock! We do use amp simulators, so next time I get to the studio I'll try that. I was isolating the offending frequency but it came back when i listened through my laptop. Is it possible that the squeak will be audible on certain speakers no matter what? And its in a part with distortion and trem picking, sounds almost like pick screech but I use wooden picks so I don't think that the pick could be the culprit.

Rate This Thread: