Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
JakeTabber

Sterling by Music Man Basses?

I was in the market to buy a bass, seeing as am now part of a band as the bass player and I don't have a bass, I've just been playing my friends. I came across the Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4. I love the Music Man Stingrays and I've wanted one, but when I found this one at the cost of $289 I was shocked. Is Sterling the Squier of Music Man? I like getting the top brands, (not because I think they play or sound worse, whenever I get the top brand (aka Fender, Gibson, etc.) I have more pride in my instrument) and I don't want to settle for the "more affordable" version.
If the Sterling SUB is honestly just another great quality bass I will be amazingly happy and surprised. Thank you!
JakeTabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Sterling line is very good - both the guitars and the basses. They are made overseas, and they don't have some of the extras that come on the music Man instruments such as the compensated nuts. But they play very well, sound good and look very good, so for the money, you cannot go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Anthoje

The SUB line is the entry-level of the Sterling instruments. In terms of quality and durability, I would do the these comparisons:
Squier Bullet=SUB (cheap)
Fender Made in Mexico = Standard sterlings (good guitars, actually made in Indonesia, without the crazy finishes and expensive hardware)

I played with several sterling models before the SUB line came in and was very impressed: i still own one and it is my main guitar, even though it is not the most expensive. I only played a SUB Silo model and was not impressed: maybe it was only the instrument, maybe it is the SUB line, I could not tell.

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50

Last edited by Anthoje : 08-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Anthoje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

The more expensive Sterlings definitely hold there own. The Ray34 and Ray34CA are awesome basses.

SIX GUN KID https://www.facebook.com/6gunkid
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

TS is talking about the SUB series. And yeah, as everybody has said, that's their cheapest series, I would guess pretty much the same as Squier or Epiphone (at least if you look at the price, I don't know about their quality).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Whiplash2067

I play the four string SUB model and I absolutely love it. Nice fat lows and crisp highs. I play through my Hartke A70 and it blows people away. Are there better basses? Absolutely, but for the money you really can't beat it.
Whiplash2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
dustybass
Dustybass

I agree, I own a couple of Sting Rays and was pleasantly surprised by how good those SUB 34's sound and you can't go wrong for $289.00. I will buy one and do a Pup upgrade. I bought a Dean DOA Zilla bass (transparent green) #10 out of 20 ever made for $750.00 it was new and came with a case. This was back in spring of 2010 and I can't find any info on them (what they're worth) I do know it's an awesome bass and I love it. Does anyone have info on these basses??

Last edited by dustybass : 09-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
dustybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
anarkee
oh the horror!

The SUBs are really a solid entry level bass and for the price , they're good, much better than then the old OLPs that were in the same price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
tonello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthoje
The SUB line is the entry-level of the Sterling instruments. In terms of quality and durability, I would do the these comparisons:
Squier Bullet=SUB (cheap)
Fender Made in Mexico = Standard sterlings (good guitars, actually made in Indonesia, without the crazy finishes and expensive hardware)

I played with several sterling models before the SUB line came in and was very impressed: i still own one and it is my main guitar, even though it is not the most expensive. I only played a SUB Silo model and was not impressed: maybe it was only the instrument, maybe it is the SUB line, I could not tell.

I disagree. I use a SUB Ray5 (black with a maple board) and it's a nice instrument. I won't say it can compete with Music Man branded instruments (the $1500 and up) but it holds up well to my Fender MIM Jazz (in terms of quality). The active electronics bring it such a thick low end and the neck is so tiny and smooth where as other 5 string necks that I've played have been so wide near the higher notes (12th fret and above). Also electronics can always be upgraded (which is what I did putting in an Seymour Duncan 5 String 3 coil ceramic MM pickup and changing the pickguard to use the three band EQ). It's a good instrument and you can get them cheap. The Silo that you played is an okay instrument, but compared to what Squire has been putting out with their Vintage Modified stuff, it kind of lacks.
tonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Captain Chaos
A Tribute to the Past.

I bought a new Ernie Ball MM a year ago and the preamp died just a couple of weeks ago. I'm really disappointed with their quality.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: