Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Headphones/Earphones

Looking for some good head/earphones (would assume headphones) for mixing purposes - no my recording environment is not treated fully - it never will be and I've reluctantly accepted this - I record voice and guitar, however most stuff will be VSTs/MIDI - so is there any good headphones earphones that give me a fairly neutral sound for mixing purposes?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
chaosmoon

Sure, there are plenty of great headphones out there. What's your budget?
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

The KRK monitor headphones are supposed to be pretty decent, although I've never tried them. I'm not much of a headphones buff, so can't remember the names of the others people recommend... ATH M50's or something like that?

I have tried, but can't mix on headphones... I check the low end on them occasionally, but I just find I can easily get a mix that translates from my monitors, but if I try and make too many adjustments in headphones they only sound good with headphones. They're also terrible for getting the stereo balance right, and make reverbs really stand out louder than normal, a lot of the time. If you can't do better, then obviously headphones are your way forward, but make sure you bounce a copy to CD and play it through your Hi-Fi, and in the car as well, and address any translation issues.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

headphones are hard to mix in you get a very different idea of the sound and when you move to the car or hifi you get a TOTALLY different sound.

if you don't have studio monitors yet I would try to get them first

BUT understand if $$ or space is an issue for monitors,.

for headphones it's a hard thing to pick "the best" unless you test them yourself
I have a pair of Samson SR850 I find them cool headphone while I sing
also have a pair of Yamaha HPH-200 there cool but prefer the Samsons
I think open back is better to sound cause I have a pair of EX-29 ( close back sound isolation headphones) great for live but IMO terrible for mixing.

and my son has a pair of Sony MDR-MA500 good also but there sound abit hyped abit EQ'ed

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 08-21-2013 at 03:18 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
tim_mop

Sennheiser always deliver in terms of quality for mixing.

I have a pair of HD320 pros and I'm loving them. They have a natural response with a nicely extended low end. And they are only around 120, which for studio quality headphones is great!
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
They're also terrible for getting the stereo balance right, and make reverbs really stand out louder than normal, a lot of the time.

0_o

That's exactly why I use headphones sometimes.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Ath-m50.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmoon
0_o

That's exactly why I use headphones sometimes.

Well, if you think about it this way - when you listen to music coming out of speakers (your monitors, a hi-fi system, in a club, in your car etc.) you hear the sound from each side of the stereo field in both ears, albeit at a delay (and often as reflections from nearby walls, too). This is the same as when we hear things around us in the real world, which allows our auditory system to pinpoint where things are coming from with incredible accuracy.

When you listen with headphones/earphones, you completely isolate the left and right channels so that only the corresponding ear can hear them. This doesn't affect the phantom centre of a mix, but it spreads out the sides hugely, meaning it is hard to judge exactly how much separation there is between different places in the stereo field, not to mention that the sides will now sound at a different level to how they did when the mix was coming out of a pair of monitors.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
tim_mop

This will help if you have a slightly higher budget!

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, if you think about it this way - when you listen to music coming out of speakers (your monitors, a hi-fi system, in a club, in your car etc.) you hear the sound from each side of the stereo field in both ears, albeit at a delay (and often as reflections from nearby walls, too). This is the same as when we hear things around us in the real world, which allows our auditory system to pinpoint where things are coming from with incredible accuracy.

When you listen with headphones/earphones, you completely isolate the left and right channels so that only the corresponding ear can hear them. This doesn't affect the phantom centre of a mix, but it spreads out the sides hugely, meaning it is hard to judge exactly how much separation there is between different places in the stereo field, not to mention that the sides will now sound at a different level to how they did when the mix was coming out of a pair of monitors.

I got all that. I just find it odd that you find that terrible. I prefer to use headphones for spatial things, such as setting reverbs and panning. Personally, I find that if I can get it sounding great on headphones, it usually translates well to monitors. Sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking on monitors after that, but I just find it easier. Sometimes working on reverbs and such on monitors translates terribly to headphones, and it takes more work to start from monitors and check on headphones (imo anyways).

To each his own I guess.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
tim_mop

Think about it this way, more people listen to their music on headphones than speakers nowadays. If your mix is decent in a nice pair of headphones, and you've played it on a couple of speaker systems to double check, then there's really no problem!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollstar
- no my recording environment is not treated fully - it never will be and I've reluctantly accepted this - I record voice

Bad premise always equals bad argument.

Why can you not treat your room? I did my room for about $200 worth of materials and a couple of days putting it together.

Mind you, aesthetically, the room looked better before, but for a studio, that's almost like saying "gee, that surgical suite sure looked a lot more inviting before we wheeled in all that equipment and lighting." Well, yeah... but you need it for the room to achieve its purpose.

Mixing on headphones is generally considered a third-rate option for a variety of reasons - some of which have been outlined here.

Monitors are important, but without room treatment, they're honestly not all that useful. I have a pair of good monitors, but when I moved out of a good room and into a crappy room, I suddenly couldn't make a listenable mix to save my soul. The monitors weren't the variable - the room was. Once I fixed it, my mixes come out pretty reliably again.

Another thing is this... you record vocals. Where? In a bad room? You can have a great vocal mic and a great preamp and great this and that, but if you've got a boxy room sound in your vocal recording, there's just no way to get that stink out. None. A couple hundred dollars and a couple days of your time and you can fix that problem too.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: