Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

What affects pinch harmonics?

So today I was trying out an egnater tourmaster 4212 with my Kramer striker (bridge pickup is a dime bucker, 500K pots, FR special bridge). Had everything on 100W on the power grid. Gain a little less than 3:00, mids between 3:00 and full, Bass around noon or 11, treble between 1 and 3:00. Presence around 3:00, and density (I'm guessing Egnater's term for resonance) between it's lowest setting and 9:00. Master volume was to noon, channel volume at 9:00. Contour switch was off (for the most part). This is my general maiden sound, I guess.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get any good pinch harmonics (whether a simple pinch or a pinch with whammy bar like Judas priest) during the hour and a half I was working it. To be clear, I usually do well with harmonics and can find sweet spots for them quite well. So I have no idea if it was just the harmonic quality of the tourmaster's distortion, the settings I was working with, or something else. Any ideas?

Last edited by Maidenheadsteve : 08-22-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah it could well be. no gear will let you do pinch harmonics (bar happy accidents) if your technique isn't good, but if your technique is good, a variety of things can affect how much they pop out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah it could well be. no gear will let you do pinch harmonics (bar happy accidents) if your technique isn't good, but if your technique is good, a variety of things can affect how much they pop out...

To give you an idea, I've used shitty solid states and a hardwire tl-2, and have had better pinch harmonic quality.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Everything has it's own little effect. If you mud up the tone it's going to be harder to make the overtones break through. If your thumb isn't the right distance from the pick, if the gain is too low or if something is affecting the way the gain "behaves", if the strings are too old... lots of things can have little changes in the sound.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Mostly gain in my experience aside from obv technique.

Edit: It's odd that you don't get them off at all though, maybe your previous setting was very tolerant for sloppy technique and you need to be more precise
No offense.

Last edited by Facecut : 08-22-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Facecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
GS LEAD 5

Probably the Egnator being a more responsive amp than what you're used to. I once tried a Laney LC and a Peavey Vypyr side by side. The Vypyr was consistently easier to pinch on, even at similar levels of gain :shrugs: work on technique, and if that still doesn't solve it, up the gain.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Play the natural harmonic on the fifth fret of the high e string. If it's really dull or nonexistent then I'd say it's the amp. If it sounds right then I'd think it's your technique.

Edit: also do you have old strings? I find harmonics seem to diminish greatly over a string's life.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math

Last edited by J-Dawg158 : 08-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Probably the Egnator being a more responsive amp than what you're used to. I once tried a Laney LC and a Peavey Vypyr side by side. The Vypyr was consistently easier to pinch on, even at similar levels of gain :shrugs: work on technique, and if that still doesn't solve it, up the gain.

I did try upping the gain, though it was when I was trying out thrash sounds; bit more noticeable, but I feeling like upping the gain (I upped it from about 3:00 to full) sort of sacrifices the tone I was going for in order to get the harmonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
Play the natural harmonic on the fifth fret of the high e string. If it's really dull or nonexistent then I'd say it's the amp. If it sounds right then I'd think it's your technique.

Edit: also do you have old strings? I find harmonics seem to diminish greatly over a string's life.

I'll check it next time I'm near another tourmaster. My strings are about a month and a half (at the most) old, keeping in mind I'm using a Floyd rose, so I guess they might be a bit worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
Everything has it's own little effect. If you mud up the tone it's going to be harder to make the overtones break through. If your thumb isn't the right distance from the pick, if the gain is too low or if something is affecting the way the gain "behaves", if the strings are too old... lots of things can have little changes in the sound.

I was trying to make sure I was keeping the low end tight since the dimebucker's got a lot of low end; may not have done so well enough.

In regards to technique, I have used similar quality amps in the past (JCM900, blackstar ht stage 60) and have had the harmonics stick out more. As I was testing the tourmaster out, I was looking at what I was doing in regards to my thumb position and trying to switch things up as needed.

Last edited by Maidenheadsteve : 08-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Almost everything can affect the quality of the sound of a harmonic, but whether or not it sounds at all it completely based on your technique and where you pinch. You can even get pinches on a classical guitar if you're good enough.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Captaincranky

I'm just going to throw a kind of silly question out here. How are pinch harmonics with out of phase pickups, better or worse? Easier or harder?

(I don't have a guitar wired for phasing, or I'd alienate the hell out of my neighbors by finding out for myself).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I'm just going to throw a kind of silly question out here. How are pinch harmonics with out of phase pickups, better or worse? Easier or harder?

(I don't have a guitar wired for phasing, or I'd alienate the hell out of my neighbors by finding out for myself).

How are your pickups out of phase? Do you know what phasing even is? By the wording of this i really don't think you know what phasing it.

Also you can play pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar. Pick-ups don't mean shit. The only reason pickups / gain are needed is to make the harmonic more audible. The technique is all to do with YOU and nothing else.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 08-24-2013 at 02:50 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
How are your pickups out of phase? Do you know what phasing even is? By the wording of this i really don't think you know what phasing it.
Actually, I do. However your reading comprehension is somewhat suspect or truncated, since you seem to have missed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
...[ ]....(I don't have a guitar wired for phasing, or I'd alienate the hell out of my neighbors by finding out for myself).

And yes, I'm aware that you can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar.

Since out of phase pickups tend to cause a harmonic like squawk in the presence of high gain, I was simply curious if anybody knew off the top of their head if that would aid or abet the production of pinches.

Now, why don't you roll your gain off a bit. I'm really not interested in listening to a bunch of shit.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: