Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Antifas

Economy picking misunderstood

Okay for over a month I'm practising economy picking and I've got a big question to ask. I know, the rule is to start the phrase with an upstroke and skip strings with an upstroke when you have the same amount of notes that enable two upstrokes in a row in order to achieve a sweep picking motion. 3nps patterns work great with this technique. Since I started practising this technique whenever I skip a string upwards and pick the above string I'm doing an upstroke no matter if my previous stroke was a downstroke or an upstroke, that means I don't always economy pick. Thus when I'm going up from string to string it's always an upstroke. It breaks the sequence of alternate picking, strictly down, up and changing a string with a down. So is this a bad thing? I'm practising scales with this way and I've applied it to my playing almost in any case. It doesn't sound sloppy, I think and it really helps me a lot. So should I continue pick like this? Are there any consequences?
Antifas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I think it depends on what you want to achieve. Strict alternate picking seems to be the standard when it comes to playing single note lines at break neck speeds, but if you don't really desire to play that fast then I would think it's more about what you're most comfortable with.

I've noticed in my picking habit when I'm ascending a scale I tend to economy pick, but when I descend I strictly alternate pick everything. I don't know why I developed that way, but i'm able to play pretty much anything that I want so I don't bother trying to change it. The, "if it ain't broke attitude". However I do readily admit that I'm not as fast as other guitarists, but that suits me.

The question you have to ask yourself is does your picking style allow you to achieve the music that you want to play. If not then you can work to change it, but if it does then why should you change?
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
raredesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifas
Okay for over a month I'm practising economy picking and I've got a big question to ask. I know, the rule is to start the phrase with an upstroke and skip strings with an upstroke when you have the same amount of notes that enable two upstrokes in a row in order to achieve a sweep picking motion. 3nps patterns work great with this technique. Since I started practising this technique whenever I skip a string upwards and pick the above string I'm doing an upstroke no matter if my previous stroke was a downstroke or an upstroke, that means I don't always economy pick. Thus when I'm going up from string to string it's always an upstroke. It breaks the sequence of alternate picking, strictly down, up and changing a string with a down. So is this a bad thing? I'm practising scales with this way and I've applied it to my playing almost in any case. It doesn't sound sloppy, I think and it really helps me a lot. So should I continue pick like this? Are there any consequences?

Sorry bro, but I am confused about what you are saying. I use 3nps often and economy pick so if I did a scale run for example, I could make one single motion from the first string to the last and run through three notes per string. What is it your are doing again?
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Ideally you should become comfortable and proficient with all kinds of picking: alternate, economy, hybrid, etc. Then, no matter what you are playing, you will always be able to pick. How you get to that level of ability is up to you.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Cthulhu3421

Economy Picking -

Start with downstroke when ascending a scale (DUD, DUD, DUD, etc.)

Start with upstroke when descending a scale (UDU, UDU, UDU, etc.)

You can use economy picking so long as you are playing an ODD number of notes per string when going up or down a scale and then use an EVEN number of notes on a string if you want to change direction ex: DUD, DUD, DUD, DUD, DUD, DUDU, UDU, UDU, UDU, etc.

START AS SLOW AS YOU NEED TO SO THAT EACH NOTE RINGS CLEARLY, SPEED WILL COME NATURALLY THE MORE COMFORTABLE YOU ARE AT PLAYING IT CLEAN

hope this helps!
Cthulhu3421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Dreamdancer11

Economy picking boils down to one thing....when you change string you sweep to the next.Nothing more to it BUT you have to make the sweeps just like the rest alternate picked notes...not to rush them or anything.By the way who ever says alternate picking is superior to economy never learn economy well in the first place.Both are equal and in most cases they are used together...even the people who think they strictly alternate pick...give them to play a sequence-with a lot of jumps between strings- at breakneck speeds, record them with a cam and then slow it down and you ll see that 90 percent of them economy pick at some point.......

So if i were you i would mostly practise the inside and outside picking situations....to get smooth transitions in both cases....whether you use alternate or economy or both is secondary....

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 12-03-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
dgonz
Rectified

Too many catchy names for simple things. Economy, Alternate, Up and Down. Just play the guitar. How do you play smoother and faster? Pick up and down instead of just down. How do you switch strings? Just keep picking up and down, and you'll find the easiest and quickest way for YOU to switch strings.

I don't always sweep to the next string, quite often I'll just keep that up and down pattern no matter which strings I'm playing on, or when I jump and skip strings. There's no real "rule", although certain ways might be easier for YOU in particular, and not so easy for someone else. Try everything, you'll find your way to do it.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
dgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
M.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Ideally you should become comfortable and proficient with all kinds of picking: alternate, economy, hybrid, etc. Then, no matter what you are playing, you will always be able to pick. How you get to that level of ability is up to you.

that.
M.V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: