Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
ZoeyMassacre

Borrowed guitar

Hi, I'm a complete beginner and I borrowed my sisters husbands guitar to try it our to see if I really wanna get into playing and eventually buy my own.

It's an Epiphone Les paul. I know nothing about guitars so I was hoping if someone can tell me if it's a decent guitar and if it's ok for beginners?

Thanks!
ZoeyMassacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyMassacre
Hi, I'm a complete beginner and I borrowed my sisters husbands guitar to try it our to see if I really wanna get into playing and eventually buy my own.

It's an Epiphone Les paul. I know nothing about guitars so I was hoping if someone can tell me if it's a decent guitar and if it's ok for beginners?

Thanks!

Personally I'm not a fan of that guitar. But what type of music did you want to play and what is your budget?
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Epiphone makes about twelve Les Pauls, can you be more specific?

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 5-3
2014 Pick 'Em: 78-42-1
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
ZoeyMassacre

I like the sound of my favorite bands like Interpol, joy division, radiohead, placebo. Not sure what that is lol

@Necrosis1193: standard?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

Epiphone makes more than one kind of LP, but generally speaking, they're perfectly fine for beginners. There are even some pros who use Epis.

The LP-style guitar has been used in all kinds of genres- classic rock, metal, reggae, etc.

Enjoy!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
ZoeyMassacre

Oh and also my budget is...I can't afford to buy anything right now. that's why I'm borrowing

Thanks dannyalcatraz!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Oh and also my budget is...I can't afford to buy anything right now. that's why I'm borrowing

Thanks dannyalcatraz!

I like LP-Style guitars, but would go with another brand other than Epiphone..but that's just me.

Well according to your budget, find some dirt on your brother-in-law and tell him you are going to tell your sister unless he gives you the guitar.... LOL jk man.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
ZoeyMassacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
I like LP-Style guitars, but would go with another brand other than Epiphone..but that's just me.

Well according to your budget, find some dirt on your brother-in-law and tell him you are going to tell your sister unless he gives you the guitar.... LOL jk man.

Do different brands sound different? or why is it important to have the right brand?

haha I could do that:P
Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Do different brands sound different?

While your amp makes more of a difference than the guitar, different brands can sound surprisingly different. Just as importantly, they can feel different and have varying levels of quality of manufacture.

Quote:
or why is it important to have the right brand?

People prefer different brands for different reasons.

For some, it's about the quality of he guitar. For some, it's about the feel or sound. For some it's about the visual aesthetic or just that it's the guitar their favorite star used.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
ZoeyMassacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
While your amp makes more of a difference than the guitar, different brands can sound surprisingly different. Just as importantly, they can feel different and have varying levels of quality of manufacture.

People prefer different brands for different reasons.

For some, it's about the quality of he guitar. For some, it's about the feel or sound. For some it's about the visual aesthetic or just that it's the guitar their favorite star used.

Oh, I see.

So I just have to get a feel for different guitars huh

I went to this guitar shop and I liked this grey jackson guitar (have no idea what model it was) but I liked the way it felt and sounded.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Do different brands sound different? or why is it important to have the right brand?

haha I could do that:P

Danny makes all good points. Do you like the way the epiphone feels? If it has a thick neck would you like one thinner? I also look for what comes with it, in terms of hardware and the overall quality you would get for the price.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
ZoeyMassacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
Danny makes all good points. Do you like the way the epiphone feels? If it has a thick neck would you like one thinner? I also look for what comes with it, in terms of hardware and the overall quality you would get for the price.

Sorry if this is a double post, thought it posted:

I want something that feels light and thin. ans the sound I'm looking for

The one I have is a bit thick and heavy...
Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Oh, I see.

So I just have to get a feel for different guitars huh

Yeah...and you may find that you genuinely like only a few or even one kind of guitar, or you may find you like variety.

For example, I have a decent sized collection that is still growing. It covers 11 brands and a variety of body styles. On the other hand, a HS buddy of mine plays & buys Fender Strats ONLY.

And only time will tell you which kind of guitarist you are.

Quote:
I went to this guitar shop and I liked this grey jackson guitar (have no idea what model it was) but I liked the way it felt and sounded.

And so, the hunt begins!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
ZoeyMassacre

Thanks guys for helping me out! I'm a total newbie!

Now I will learn how to play this guitar
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #15
HippieMagic

Guitars don't really sound drastically different if you are comparing the same type of guitar. I mean if we were talking Les Paul type guitars here is an Epiphone vs Gibson blind test:

You can tell the difference just isn't massive. Here is a Gibson SG vs Gibson Les Paul:

Even that difference is really minor.

Generally speaking a humbucker sounds like a humbucker and a single coil sounds like a single coil. You have to listen close to really hear a difference in the pickups so long as the pickups are at least decent quality. I mean pickup manufacturing isn't rocket science.

I am not saying there isn't a difference and you shouldn't really pay close attention to the sound when you are guitar shopping but it won't make a massive difference in the way you play. The actual quality of the instrument and the feel of an instrument are the main differences between brands and price ranges.

I mean if you have some crap pickup wound by Billy-Bob Chang in the backwoods of China and one wound by Lord Reginald the Pickup King you will probably notice a big difference.

Obviously I am talking about passive humbuckers in this post. Bottom line is I wouldn't worry TOO much about brands and sound right now. Once you start worrying about the minor details in the way a guitar sounds your bank account starts to hate you.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMagic
Guitars don't really sound drastically different if you are comparing the same type of guitar. I mean if we were talking Les Paul type guitars here is an Epiphone vs Gibson blind test:

You can tell the difference just isn't massive.

Just for giggles...with only one listen-through and viewing on an IPad:

To me, it sounded like the guitar that was A in the clean and B in the later 2 samples sounded the same to me, with slightly more bass than the one that was B/A/A. I'm going to say that A/B/B was the Gibson.

Does he have the results anywhere?

Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Actually, just found the answer. I was not 100%.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
dspellman

Quote:
Sorry if this is a double post, thought it posted:

I want something that feels light and thin. ans the sound I'm looking for

The one I have is a bit thick and heavy...

If you're just beginning to play guitar, don't worry about the neck (or the guitar) being thick or thin. You'll find that your requirements will change as you learn what you're doing.

The Epiphone Les Pauls are generally just fine and more than enough for a beginning guitarist. Nancy Wilson of Heart plays one pretty regularly, as do other pros. At your stage of development, there's no significant difference between that and the much more expensive guitars that look the same that will affect your progress.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
firepile

Quote:

Yes, Epiphone Les Pauls are great guitars for the money.
firepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
GraceByDeath

After watching the blind test...I was absolutely STUNNED...I liked the Epiphone's cleans more. And as for high gain? I preferred the attacked from the Gibson. I feel almost ashamed. But atleast I can get get cleans I like for half the price of the Gibson!
GraceByDeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: