Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
redd9

shoulder pain on picking hand

after 10 or so minutes of playing my right shoulder starts to ache. Here is a vid of me playing just for example to see if anyone can point out what part of my posture i should correct. (excuse playing i was just focusing on my right arm)

redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Eladamri

You look a little hunched up to me. Maybe try lowering your guitar a little? Hard to say for certain though.

If it continues, consider visiting a doctor to make sure there is no underlying cause.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
MaaZeus

Is it tension related? I had the same problem when I tried to learn playing in western posture, guitar on right leg. It didnt matter how I held the guitar I just couldnt find a good spot where my picking hand and particularly shoulder felt relaxed.

Switched over to classical posture and those problems went away with a snap of a finger. I guess my physique just isnt compatible with the western one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Is it tension related? I had the same problem when I tried to learn playing in western posture, guitar on right leg. It didnt matter how I held the guitar I just couldnt find a good spot where my picking hand and particularly shoulder felt relaxed.

Switched over to classical posture and those problems went away with a snap of a finger. I guess my physique just isnt compatible with the western one.

Agree 100% with MaaZeus.If you feel your shoulder is hurting you are tensing waaay too much.The classical posture is also the most relaxed and efficient anyone can have(althouth it doesnt look cool ) but regardless in order to get rid of this tension especially in practise you have to stop immediately(even in the middle of an exercise) and check yourself while playing.If you feel you start to try more, you are tensing...do that as many times as needed and after a while you wont have to stop and check youself..it ll feel relaxed all the time .
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
redd9

I feel like my shoulder is relaxed up until it starts hurting but you guys definitely made some valid points and I will look into it, thanks
redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
cdgraves

Sit up straight. Practice with the guitar on your left knee, with the leg elevated a little (classical posture).

Your shoulder is getting sore because you're holding your elbow way out from your side and pressing the forearm into the guitar body. Your arm should hang loose and the wrist/forearm should only touch the guitar lightly.

Ideally the guitar neck/body is parallel to your shoulders and chest, and tilted back just slightly so you can see the fretboard.

Last edited by cdgraves : 08-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: