Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #21
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

Thanks Steven and Sickz for being the only sensible and polite answers so far. I'll definitely try it that way.

And Celestial, Slash is definitely cool, and even when playing crouched with the guitar by his side he doesn't seem to miss a note :P

I already practice for hours and hours. Like I said, I want to be awesome and that doesn't come from playing a few minutes a day. So I already play a lot ( to the point that I get blisters, actually).

Thanks, some of you
Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhu Xiong
Thanks Steven and Sickz for being the only sensible and polite answers so far.

American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
innovine

Girls don't get wet when your guitar is tucked in under your chin. Fact. Unless you are trying to pick up Beatles fans at their 65'th birthday party or something

Last edited by innovine : 08-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

I don't need a girl. I already have one that gets wet when i play no matter what i look like while doing it :P

Sorry Vayne, it's just that you were a tad rude. Thank you for atleast taking the time to comment and try to help me though.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Thanks Steven and Sickz for being the only sensible and polite answers so far. I'll definitely try it that way.

And Celestial, Slash is definitely cool, and even when playing crouched with the guitar by his side he doesn't seem to miss a note :P

The things he plays when he's playing like that aren't exactly taxing. As a general rule when he's playing something difficult he does this:

Or something similar. Note how his wrist is now in a much better position than it was in the picture you posted, his hand is at a better angle to the fretboard, he's not touching the underside of the neck with his hand. This is all the reason he does that at all; it's all compensation for his otherwise terrible posture.

Quote:
I already practice for hours and hours. Like I said, I want to be awesome and that doesn't come from playing a few minutes a day. So I already play a lot ( to the point that I get blisters, actually).

Right, good... but you won't be able to play the kind of stuff you want to without adjusting your posture, either by shortening your strap or by taking up some stupid stance that will make you look a dick until you're playing arena gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

The picture i posted is how he stands when playing the solo in Sweet Child O' Mine.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #27
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

I'm not advocating low-slung guitars or anything, but I never understood how people play with guitars way up high (usually with the thumb on the back of the neck at all times).

How do you even get any sort of leverage for bending?

I suppose if you're just playing some drop-tuned bullshit it would be fine, but I strangle the shit out of the neck when I play and there's no way I would be able to do that without having to contort my wrist in the worst possible way.

I've tried hanging my guitar at the same height standing as sitting, but I have to drop it down a little bit, otherwise, it's extremely uncomfortable to play.

I don't know, when you have it at the right height, you can just feel that it's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
Girls don't get wet when your guitar is tucked in under your chin. Fact. Unless you are trying to pick up Beatles fans at their 65'th birthday party or something

If your only motivation for playing guitar is to get girls wet, you need more help than we can give you. Put down your guitar and get out there and mingle. It's not that hard.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
CJGunner7

I can't believe everyone's having such a hard time explaining it, it's easy to explain, the higher you play the easier it will be but i'm like you when i started playing standing up i wanted to play like Slash (guitar low) and i couldn't do it, the only thing to do is practice, i practiced playing standing up with the guitar low and a couple months later it was just as comfortable as anything else, practice and it will happen
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #30
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

Cheers CJ!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #31
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
If your only motivation for playing guitar is to get girls wet, you need more help than we can give you. Put down your guitar and get out there and mingle. It's not that hard.

I didn't read this thread thinking it was about motivation for guitar. No one is questioning the fact that high up is a superior position for playing. The point is, you look like a dork doing it. And, whether you like it or not, your audience is there to _see_ and hear a good show, and the sad fact of the matter is that most of them can't tell good playing from bad. They can tell if you look like slash or a beatle though. They can tell if you're head banging and grinding on your low slung axe, or if you're sitting on a little stool holding your guitar in the classical position between your legs.

The exact same point applies to jumping around on stage, head banging, wide-legged stances, arm windmills, whatever. Of course you are not going to play your best jumping up and down with the beat, and no one expects the artists to be doing that in a studio recording session either. But on stage is not a studio, you are there to project atmosphere, mood and energy in every way you can, from the lights, to the smoke machines, haircuts, choice of tshirts, sneakers, color of your guitar and of course, where you hang it. You often need to make compromises on your playing technique, in order to boost your showmanship.

Last edited by innovine : 08-26-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
Blicer

start high and slowly work the guitar lower. I find that helped for me
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Ruark

I've often encountered this, too. Basically all my playing is sitting down, with the guitar on my left leg, since I play at home and don't do gigs. But when I've tried playing standing up, it's not only just difficult, it's impossible.

There are some top players that hold it fairly high. Look at B.B. King; he's practically resting his chin on it!

I think one factor is your physical build. A lot of those "low slung" players are also really skinny dudes. Look at SRV, Keith Richards, Clapton, Prince, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Johnson, et. al. All skinny as beanpoles.

Like many guys, though, I have some extra stuff around my middle, however, and if I wear my guitar like those guys, it makes the guitar lean away from me so I'm actually looking down at the back of the neck. The only way I can even BEGIN to play standing up is to strap it way up on my chest BB King style, and even that's marginally playable.

All that being said... I'd say if you're planning to play gigs, i.e. play standing up, start practicing that way right NOW and get used to it, so that's your natural way of playing. The physics, muscle patterns, etc. are TOTALLY different. If you practice holding it classical-style, like I do, and then try to do a stand-up gig on a stage in front of a mike, you're in for a world of misery.

Innovine makes a good point, too, about the showmanship. You won't fit into a wild metal band sitting there holding your strat like Andres Segovia.

You might want to lose a few pounds, too....
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys

Last edited by Ruark : 08-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #34
J_W

I'll tell you what isn't cool, playing like shit because you wear your guitar around your ankles trying to look cool.

You don't have to friggin have the thing up to your chin, and you certainly don't need it below your waist. There is a lot of space between way too high and way too low, find something in the middle.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

@Ruark

I think if i lose a few pounds i'll start disappearing :P I'm 6ft2 and weigh 10st. (188cm & 140lbs)

My arms and fingers are nice and lanky, so i don't think it's a physique issue. I'm pretty sure i'm just not used to it so, like a bunch of people said, i just need to practice it a whole lot more. I can now play Smells Like Teen Spirit all the way through almost without messing up. I've taken on board things like tilting the guitar and having a little higher than i already had it, and i've pretty much just been practicing like it. It's working so far, but there are still songs i can't do standing up (i still find placing my fingers to play chords almost impossible).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #36
Blicer

the truth is at the end of the day people won't care if you have the guitar touching your toes or if you have it like a choker around your neck as long as you can play well.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blicer
the truth is at the end of the day people won't care if you have the guitar touching your toes or if you have it like a choker around your neck as long as you can play well.

keep telling yourself that.

Last edited by innovine : 08-28-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
Blicer

Quote:

There are always going to be people who do care if you hair is waving the right way and if your skin is gold and if your guitar is banging against your junk while you play. we call them a7x fans.

in all seriousness though if you let the superficial affect your enjoyment of music and your comfort level of playing music then you need to build some self confidence and become comfortable with yourself.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
J_W

Quote:

For every person who thinks it looks cool to have your guitar super low, there is an equal number who think you look like a poser idiot.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #40
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
For every person who thinks it looks cool to have your guitar super low, there is an equal number who think you look like a poser idiot.

that probably depends on the genre, but it's an interesting point which could be empirically measured, perhaps
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: