Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Highs sound weak/scratchy

Heyo.

I'm trying to teach myself to sing. I suck at it. I've noticed a few problems. Pitch is one of them, but that'll probably get better with practice, and I plan on practicing a lot. Other than that and enunciation, the big one is lack of power, and excess scratchiness, above maybe a C4. (I'm a tenor.) Since I'm planning to sing metal (no Kiske stuff), and I'm not in a Linkin Park tribute band, this is a problem.

Here's a clip I threw together (the song is "Deluge" by Twelve Foot Ninja). My pitch is off on some notes (again, practice), and I got tripped up in a few places, but it should work. No EQ or effects other than compression.

I think a big part of the problem is not opening my throat up enough; is that one of those things I just have to keep hammering at until it happens? Or is there something I'm missing?

Danke schoen.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 08-26-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Sethis

First of all, how do you know you are a tenor? You sound heavier to my ears. I could be wrong but my instict says you're closer to a high baritone. Btw I liked it even though I didn't know the original song.

No it's not one of those things you have to keep hammering at until it happens. You sound like you're straining which is normal for a beginner. And to be honest, you could be doing a lot of things wrong that one couldn't diagnose you without seeing you in person.

Last edited by Sethis : 08-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
First of all, how do you know you are a tenor? You sound heavier to my ears. I could be wrong but my instict says you're closer to a high baritone.

Well, that's interesting. But aren't baris relatively uncommon? I've always thought it was mostly just tenor/bass for males, but that wouldn't really make sense.
Quote:
No it's not one of those things you have to keep hammering at until it happens. You sound like you're straining which is normal for a beginner. And to be honest, you could be doing a lot of things wrong that one couldn't diagnose you without seeing you in person.

I'll see what I can find online; failing that, finding a teacher should be pretty easy.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Well, that's interesting. But aren't baris relatively uncommon? I've always thought it was mostly just tenor/bass for males, but that wouldn't really make sense.

No, there are three main types basses, baritones and tenors and then everything in between. Basses are probably the most uncommon, baritones are pretty common.

Quote:
I'll see what I can find online; failing that, finding a teacher should be pretty easy.

Yeah that would be cool. In case you're searching for good free online videos this guy has plenty of them: http://www.youtube.com/user/RocktheStageNYC

But you definitely need a teacher. It's not that you won't make progress without one but it will definitely be slower.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
No, there are three main types basses, baritones and tenors and then everything in between. Basses are probably the most uncommon, baritones are pretty common.

I thought basses were more common than baritones. Mind = blown.
Quote:
Yeah that would be cool. In case you're searching for good free online videos this guy has plenty of them: http://www.youtube.com/user/RocktheStageNYC

But you definitely need a teacher. It's not that you won't make progress without one but it will definitely be slower.

Thanks for the link. I've had private music tutors before, and in-person, one-on-one feedback from an expert isn't something the internet can give you for free.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
20Tigers

Quote:
I thought basses were more common than baritones. Mind = blown.

Yip, baritone is the most common male voice type.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Since I couldn't find a better thread for this, I'm bringing this one back.

So as far as I can tell, opening up is mostly a matter of finding the part of my throat that's constricting my voice, and gradually learning to relax it. Is this more or less how it works, and also importantly, would it be possible to practice this while I'm just talking to people, rather than singing?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

maybe this is related or not (im slightly intoxicated), but though the most common singing voice for men is tenor, although the actual most common voice for men is baritone

so, maybe you should reconsider your range (also remember that most range tests are purely objective, and everyone's range should be seen from a subjective point because no one's voice is the same)

also, as for the actual question that you asked, you should really check out videos from this youtube page. they really have a lot of great tips

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewYork...g?feature=watch

Edit: Btw, great choice in song. TFN is an awesome-ass band

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Last edited by pAWNlol : 09-02-2013 at 11:46 PM.
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Bump.

Let's have some closure! I figured out part of the problem; my soft palate was touching the back of my throat. Only took me, what, a year? Yeah, getting a private instructor would definitely have helped with that.

So, I redid that song, this time in the right key (half a step higher). Sorry about the distortion, I was holding the mic too close to my mouth.

http://puu.sh/axLWQ/c397261c1e.mp3 (chorus at 1:16)

I still feel some slight scratchiness somewhere else in my throat, and I still need to practice until my pitch is decent (not only hitting notes fast, but holding the same pitch for a while), but goddamn this feels better.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-30-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
GoldenGuitar

If you're a tenor, then you shouldn't really find anything from C3 - F#4 difficult and it should sound nice and full with the needing to belt. It's just the way our vocals chords are built.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
If you're a tenor, then you shouldn't really find anything from C3 - F#4 difficult and it should sound nice and full with the needing to belt. It's just the way our vocals chords are built.

We established I was a bari earlier in the thread.

Rate This Thread: