Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Pyrotechie

Making music without touring?

Probably a simple question to answer, but anyways...I've been in the process of recording my very first album, only including me on all instruments except drums, which are left to a good friend of mine. So far I'm hearing a lot of great things about it, and it sounds amazing.

Thing is, I kind of like the recording+writing life, but where I'm from, it's almost impossible to find a few fellow musicians, nevertheless like-minded. Is it weird that I choose not to tour on this basis? Just seems like extra unneeded effort when I've got the whole internet at my hands to show off my music.

Not to say I don't want to tour. I love the raw energy from the crowd and myself as I gig. But I feel like a lot of that reflects back on the rest of the band's willingness to connect with itself, and I really won't be able to find many connecting points until I'm able to move out of my current location.

I'll repeat my question: Is it weird that I kind of prefer being a recording artist instead of a touring one?
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

The "bedroom guitarist" thing is becoming more and more...well, a thing. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being a recording artist.

Obviously, there's advantages to touring, but you can overcome some of the disadvantages of not touring via social networking.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Sure you can make music at home by yourself. However if you want some level of success or cash, it's going to be very hard without doing live gigs.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Dave Grohl recorded the first Foo Fighters album by himself. He played all the instruments.

If you wanted to tour, you could always just play with session musicians. Or then record the album and make an ad where you also show some of your music on that album. There are musicians everywhere. Just because your friends are not musicians doesn't mean there are no like-minded musicians where you live.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
aviator42009

I can't say you'll make very much profit from this project, unless you're huge. If you're just looking to make some music on the side, have fun, and get a little bit of money out of it you're on the right track. If your aspirations are higher then that, get a band or at least get label recognition; at that point finding musicians will be simple.
aviator42009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

If you have great songs, you can write and record them and licence them to other touring recording artists. People like Desmond Child, Mutt Lange, John Steinman, Pie Dubois, Bernie Taupin and Jim Vallance have written songs that have made them into the millions of dollars, and yet, most of us probably haven't heard of any more than one or two of them.

I'd place my bets that, after they write the songs, they record them so that the likes of Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Meatloaf, Elton John, Brian Adams, Def Leppard, Carrie Underwood, Ratt, Heart, Max Webster, Cher, Sebastien Bach, Backstreet Boys, Shania Twain and many many others can know what they sound like so they can record them themselves.

As far as I know, none of those writers has ever really toured to any extent.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Haynus_aynus

Well, if you want to write songs for other people to record, sure you don't have to play gigs (I'm hesitant to say "tour" because I think of a tour as at least a couple of months, playing gigs in actual music venues, and getting paid. Not some 2 week road trip playing dive bars to 4 people for free beer). But if you want your name on the record with your songs and your voice, you're going to have to gig and support it. The Beatles toured the world for 3 years, England for 1, and night clubs in Germany for a year or two before that before they called it quits playing live. Any "studio only" artist you can think of probably did gig at some point earlier in their career.

Unless you're the next Brian Wilson no one is going to give you money to sit in your room and record your own songs.
Haynus_aynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: