Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
A3ON
Howdy.

Very first electric guitar

I am looking into getting my first guitar sometime around the beginning of next year. I was browsing online and I immediately fell in love with the look of the ESP F series. More specifically the 350. I'm looking for a budget guitar, since its my first one, but if its cheap, does that mean it won't last long? I was originally looking into getting the ESP F-10 but it looks kinda weak. This guitar I get is the one I will be learning to play on.
I didn't look at any amps yet. I have no idea what kind I'm getting. Any advice I could get would be great.

Last edited by A3ON : 09-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
A3ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
MadMonk1

I recommend you get the guitar that feels/looks right to you. Do a lot of looking around online and read all the reviews for the guitars you are interested in. I just got back into playing again after selling all my gear about 4 years ago and I bought a Dean Vendetta after many hours of looking around online. I really don't think I could have done better for a low end guitar. I also got a Dime Blacktooth 20 watt amp. It's about the best amp out there for under 100 bucks on Amazon.
MadMonk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i dunno if it means it won't last long, but it normally means it's not made as well and doesn't have as good hardware and pickups. you might outgrow too cheap and instrument, kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Psychro6

Fender Squiers are decent enough to begin on, even if they are mass produced. Check a few out and find a non-dud.
Psychro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
jjfeu662
Celestia

I love the feel of an Ibanez, but the pickups suck. See if you can find a used RG421 with upgraded pickups. I got mine with EMGs for $150 because the finish is f**ked up. But it plays like a dream.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
CaParker96

Used MIM Strats and use PRS SE's go for pretty cheap. Both are great. Also, the Classic Vibe Strats and Teles are supposed to be fantastic for the price.
CaParker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
samuraigoomba

http://www.espguitars.com/esp2006/guitars_f.html

These? I wouldn't worry too much about the quality. I generally hear positive things about LTD models above the 300 mark. If you're feeling a bit wary, go used and get the most expensive f series you can afford. A used 400 or 500 would be ideal. Check Guitar Center and ebay. The LTD 1000 series (also called deluxe) are excellent guitars for the price on the used market. You can get some seriously nice stratocaster and SG-style guitars for around $400 if you get a good deal.

However, don't discount the idea that you don't know what you like yet. Go to a guitar shop and try a bunch of guitars. Get one that feels good to you, is of a reasonable quality and can play the kind of music you want to play. There's no point in grabbing a Classic Vibe telecaster if you want to play death metal. Same goes for amps. But really, just play everything and maybe look up instrument specs online. Things like country of manufacture, quality of pickups, type of nut used, type of bridge and whether or not the tuners are brand name/locking all affect the overall playability of the instrument.

The Peavey Vypyr 30 is a decent solid state amp with a lot of options. The cheap Orange solid state amps are very good amps for beginners, because they don't give you a ton of different tones, but the tonal options you do have sound very nice. I would recommend them more for low gain/distortion stuff.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
MarcFlink

It's pretty hard to give a real answer when we don't know your budget, and your style of play and such things A Made in Mexico Strat or Telecaster is always a great choice for a newcomer, since the price is pretty reasonable while still being at a high quality They are 2 really versatile types of guitars that plays pretty much everything, and they'll probably last way longer than your average parrot

Since we don't know what kind of music you like, it's hard to recommend an amp, but i can personally recommend Fender Blues jr, if you're into blues, classic rock and something like Oasis (it takes pedals REALLY really well! Noel Gallagher actually used a Blues Jr. as his main amp, believe it or not )

Tell us your style of music so we can help with the amp, but for the guitar, a MIM strat or tele, or if you don't have that much to spend, then a Squier Classic Vibe strat/tele should do the job nicely
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
A3ON
Howdy.

Thanks everyone! I'm into hard rock and metal. My budget is somewhere around $500 for everything but it can change if I find something I really like. I was looking at the spider 6 IV amp. To a beginner like me, it sounds pretty cool compared to other budget amps. Unless I can find something I like better, that's the one I plan on getting. I just want one to learn on. It doesn't have to be a 1000 watt. Same for the guitar. I reeeeeally like the ESP F-350 but if I can find ŕ good one that's cheaper, I'll go for it.

On a side note, would it be better to get an expensive guitar or get a cheap one and but new pickups/ whatever else for it? Talking about pawn shop deals.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ON
Thanks everyone! I'm into hard rock and metal. My budget is somewhere around $500 for everything but it can change if I find something I really like. I was looking at the spider 6 IV amp. To a beginner like me, it sounds pretty cool compared to other budget amps. Unless I can find something I like better, that's the one I plan on getting. I just want one to learn on. It doesn't have to be a 1000 watt. Same for the guitar. I reeeeeally like the ESP F-350 but if I can find ŕ good one that's cheaper, I'll go for it.

On a side note, would it be better to get an expensive guitar or get a cheap one and but new pickups/ whatever else for it? Talking about pawn shop deals.

Well. For the amp part, i gotta be honest! i know zero about Metal amps so i won't even try to direct you there, but im sure others can help you. But one thing is for sure. You need a good amp and at least an alright guitar, or you won't be able to stick with it because you'll be having lots of problems because the quality isn't there... A rule of thumb is to spend more on the amp than the guitar, as the real sound comes from the amp (A great amp and a shitty guitar can still work well, but a shitty amp and a great guitar wont!)
On a small budget like that, i'd really really recommend that you take at look at the used marked. There are plenty of great quality gear that you can get pretty cheap because it's used, and you can find stuff in great condition for much better prices than new ones (they'll probably last longer than you need them to if you stick at playing ) As for the model of guitar, if its that ESP you really want, then go try it out at a store near you, and see if it's for you. Dont ever buy stuff without trying it first!

And then, if the price is alright, buy it, or look online for a used one at a better price..

But spend more on Amp than guitar, to make sure that you get the right stuff. Maybe save up a bit more to make sure you have enough to get a rig that can do the job!
You'll save money in the end...

I don't know which country you are from, but i know that you definately dont get too far with 500 bucks here in europe. You might be able to get a good deal in the US.

Good luck. hope i could help just a bit
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
A3ON
Howdy.

I'm in the USA. We have 2 music shops in my town, one about an hour away, and a guitar center an hour and a half away.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
demonhellcat

Are you new to guitar period? or is this just your first electric? That ESP-LTD looks fine for metal and hard rock but I just looked it up and it busts your budget at $600... and are you sure you want a guitar with a floyd rose style tremolo for your first guitar... the set up on those can be tricky.

As far as amps go a modeling amp would be a good first amp in my opinion. It gives you a ton flexibility and if nothing else lets you try a ton of different amp styles to figure out what you really like. Plus most modeling amps have a headphone jack for quiet practice.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfeu662
I love the feel of an Ibanez, but the pickups suck. See if you can find a used RG421 with upgraded pickups. I got mine with EMGs for $150 because the finish is f**ked up. But it plays like a dream.

I totally agree with the RG421. You can slowly improve it over time.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhellcat
Are you new to guitar period? or is this just your first electric? That ESP-LTD looks fine for metal and hard rock but I just looked it up and it busts your budget at $600... and are you sure you want a guitar with a floyd rose style tremolo for your first guitar... the set up on those can be tricky.

As far as amps go a modeling amp would be a good first amp in my opinion. It gives you a ton flexibility and if nothing else lets you try a ton of different amp styles to figure out what you really like. Plus most modeling amps have a headphone jack for quiet practice.

All of this. I have a Floyd it is blocked. Such a pain in the arse.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Robbgnarly

There are 2 LTD F-400FM 's for $300 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

They also have a few great amps that would be amazing for you and much better than any thing you can buy new.

They also have a Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo for $219.99. These amps are great, and I can guarantee you can not find a better amp for the money. It has good cleans and great distortion.

oh and your welcome
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ON

Don't get a line 6 spider. Every new metal player gets those and I hear nothing but bad things about them.

Peavey Vypyr 30 or better. They're about $100, maybe less. It will give you a very wide range of metal tones and amp modelers so you get a feel for what you like. They're pretty well thought of in musical circles, so you should be able to get most of your money back if you decide to sell as you upgrade gear. It also won't take too much cash out of your guitar budget. You should be able to find a decent metal amp for less than $150, but I wouldn't go for the spider amps.

So, for $400, you have a lot of guitar options. I would avoid a floyd unless you know you desperately need one. Look at the used offerings from LTD, specifically the 400 and 1000 series LTD models. They're very nice.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/msg/4036625342.html
^Just an example of how cheap these guitars go for used. In terms of quality, a guitar like this is going to be easily as nice as what you were looking at.

And don't discount Gibson. Gibson LP and SG Studio models sell cheaply. You should be able to find a decent one for $400. You should also look at Godin.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
A3ON
Howdy.

I'll admit...I'm super nervous about buying a used guitar. How do I know if it's good and not crappy?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

If you don't already play then that's kinda difficult. Admittedly you have the same problem with buying new, but at least new, if you notice down the line (at least, within the warranty period) that something is wrong, it can be rectified for free. Not so much with something used.

That's one reason I never advise going used for your first guitar. Unless you have someone you really trust who also plays who can check it out for you.

Quote:

Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
That's one reason I never advise going used for your first guitar. Unless you have someone you really trust who also plays who can check it out for you.

Bingo!

Used guitars can be a fantastic bargain...but not if you get something that isn't worth your time & money.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Yeah. Going used you can get a killer bargain or you can get ripped off (or anything in between). Granted, again the same could be said for going new, but it's normally not just as bad.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: