Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
nyandres

Should I sell my pedals and get a kemper/axe FX 2 Unit?

I am having this really tough question. I love the way my effects just can sound so unique, and the added fluidity of having them separate from the "sound banks" on say a line 6 pod.

For example with my live gig, I can turn off the delay, and still have whatever delay is still feedbacking sound as I switch from distortion to clean. This is not possible with the line 6 pod alone, and the internal delay since an abrupt change is noticed when switching soundbank.

Is this still an issue with the Kemper, axe FX units. Like will the real effects still be the better choice with those.

If I sell the pedal board, Im thinking of selling it for $1250 considering its used. (Total new is about $1700 without considering the high quality lava ELC cabling)

It includes the items below
Furman board ……………………..80
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress…… 117
EHX Small Stone Nano……………70
EHX Big Muff XO/Wicker………….90.47
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah………..231
Moog EP-2 Expression Pedal…… 40
Turbo Tuner ST-200 ………………140
ISP G String Noise Reduction ……219
EHX Ring Thing Modulator ……….219
EHX Cathedral Stereo Reverb……219
TC Electronics Nova Delay ……….259
Totals 1684 (Almost 1700)

ALso its fully wired using the ultra high quality Lava cables.

IF it was you guys, would you guys sell it, and go for a Kemper/ AXE FX II. And will it still give me the fluid changes as I switch channels where the effects may spillover from one change to the next avoiding abrupt changes?

Last edited by nyandres : 09-02-2013 at 02:39 PM.
nyandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

This really should be in GG&A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
gurg06
Gurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This really should be in GG&A...

Agreed!

But my two cents: if you are happy with your pedal board and how it functions, why bother going through the hassle of selling it all and getting something different. I'm pretty sure nobody will buy your board all together. You'd be better off selling the individual stompboxes. Single effects, in my opinion, will always be superior to anything that reproduces the sound of them. Kempers and Axe FX units will always get outdated by a new model after a year or two aswell, where as single stompboxes get more desirable with time. The are also intended to replace your amp as well as effects, so maybe if you go this route and are happy with your amps sound, look into a dedicated effects processor.

Last edited by gurg06 : 09-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.
gurg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
thisdude
Scanned.

If you really could sell them so easily, then there's no real question about it imo. I mean, apart from getting all of the effects you have currently, you'll get loads of additional stuff to play around with.
As for the fluidity, well, you can obviously turn on/off individual effects on the go, a midi board is meant for that. And as for the delay thing, it's actually a feature of the some delay pedals called spillover. Both axe-fx and kemper have it.
As for the above post of the units getting outdated, it doesn't mean much if it sounds good. And the fact that it has additional amp modeling and other stuff doesn't screw it up, it's a bonus. You can even bypass it easily. People say the axe is the best fx processor and the most transparent one. Not sure about the kemper one, it's key feature is reproducing your amp's tone, but i hear it's quite well in the fx departement.
Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by thisdude : 09-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
thisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

And here's another thing: if your MFX unit dies or malfunctions- for whatever reason- getting it fixed or replaced is expensive and will deprive you of ALL your effects.

With individual pedals, you can swap-out, upgrade or simply add/remove as needed without changing anything else.

I speak from experience...sort of: while I don't have a big MFX unit such as you're discussing, I have several portable digital modelers that I like for practice, especially when traveling. But as they age, get beat up, etc., I have to replace them. And when I do, invariably, some of my favorite effects will be different...or gone.

That doesn't really happen with pedals.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
JELIFISH19

If you like your effects, no. Most people who use them use them with external effects. If you just want effects, I wouldn't get either of those. There are way too many extra things. You're going to have to go through menus just to change parameters. And getting what you want from and Axe-FX effect might be more difficult than individual pedals. If you wanted to get the sound of the Electric Mistress, you'll need to adjust a lot of parameters to get it. The effects minus the drives are generic. They offer a lot of control but that just means it takes a lot more work to get exacly what you're looking for. And if you can't get what you're looking for, you'll be using individual pedals with the Axe-FX. I think individual pedals are better than an Axe-FX and Kemper. I'm not against multi-fx units, it's just that I don't think those worth their price if you're just using them for effects. And if you'll need a MIDI footswitch if you intend on using them for effects and those aren't cheap. The complete setup comes out to be bigger, heavier, more expensive, and more complicated than individual pedals.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
jpnyc

Make sure you also have a backup of some kind. If you sell your effects and strip down to a modeling unit that unit becomes the one piece of gear that you must rely on. Right now one pedal can crap out and, at worst, you finish the gig without it and buy a new one. If your modeler craps out without a backup you’re screwed until it gets fixed or you buy a new one. You can probably get by with just a used Pod XT for a backup, but it’s something to keep in mind.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I have an 11r that I use all the time. When it broke and it was getting repaired I had to use my amp for home use and I really missed it.

If I didn't have a backup I'd have felt lost!
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i agree with a lot of statements here.

1. i had a (long time ago) Line 6 Guitar Port die with no warranty or help from line 6. i haven't bothered with recording gadgets, and even have a sour mouth in my taste about them.

2. i had a Korg Toneworks AX1500G that i sold a few years ago, telling them that sometimes some of the values for certain effects could jump and (full exposure) and he still wanted it. as odd as things are i was given some gear from a friend of my mothers because her daughter moved away for college (15w marshall pos, a squier bass the new AX1500. worked perfectly. i messed around with it going from headphone to out to the in of a little stereo, and got it to actually sound decent, although the amp and cab models leave MUCH to desiire. but i was just ****ing around.

3. they release new and better units frequently, making older units resale plummit of what you have. sometimes i have seen a free upgrade (i can't recall what) and may be of cost (don't know of a specific, but if you have recording software and a new version comes out you pay a decent amount to get the upgrade).

4. IMO pedals are built sturdy. hard metal boxes, strong switches, and even if a switch died it wouldn't be a big deal. or if a jack went bad easy fix or adjustment of the prongs on the jack if its loose. if you break a jack on a processor or break a switch or somebody steps on or breaks a pot, your screwed.

5. also agree with its easy to move, replace pedals.

i think your prices could be a little high (at least around here it would be), and some may not sell for a while, just like anything from a car to a house.

____________edit_______

another thing to think about is if you woudl seperate one pedal or a group. whole boards usually don't sell as well because people like different things.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 09-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
nyandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i agree with a lot of statements here.

1. i had a (long time ago) Line 6 Guitar Port die with no warranty or help from line 6. i haven't bothered with recording gadgets, and even have a sour mouth in my taste about them.

2. i had a Korg Toneworks AX1500G that i sold a few years ago, telling them that sometimes some of the values for certain effects could jump and (full exposure) and he still wanted it. as odd as things are i was given some gear from a friend of my mothers because her daughter moved away for college (15w marshall pos, a squier bass the new AX1500. worked perfectly. i messed around with it going from headphone to out to the in of a little stereo, and got it to actually sound decent, although the amp and cab models leave MUCH to desiire. but i was just ****ing around.

3. they release new and better units frequently, making older units resale plummit of what you have. sometimes i have seen a free upgrade (i can't recall what) and may be of cost (don't know of a specific, but if you have recording software and a new version comes out you pay a decent amount to get the upgrade).

4. IMO pedals are built sturdy. hard metal boxes, strong switches, and even if a switch died it wouldn't be a big deal. or if a jack went bad easy fix or adjustment of the prongs on the jack if its loose. if you break a jack on a processor or break a switch or somebody steps on or breaks a pot, your screwed.

5. also agree with its easy to move, replace pedals.

i think your prices could be a little high (at least around here it would be), and some may not sell for a while, just like anything from a car to a house.

____________edit_______

another thing to think about is if you woudl seperate one pedal or a group. whole boards usually don't sell as well because people like different things.

I agree with a log of stuff here. I just wonder if it would be way more convenient to not have all this cables to setup and stuff. Its kind of a hassle, but I do love them in action more than I do the POD HD500 at least.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Yes, it will be more convenient. You just have to decide if that convenience is worth the possible consequences.

i must point out the obvious: if it were not for your cash-flow situation, it wouldn't be a binary, either/or thing. I've seen all kinds of touring rigs on websites like Premiere Guitar and many of them feature a mix of pedals and high-end MFX units.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
Dr Sin

I'd go with the Axe FX. Everyone from Matt Bellamy to Misha Mansoor uses them. You just need to have the time and patience to sit a programme it all :P
Dr Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
DarthV

Don't forget to add in the price of a midi controller.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

There's no right or wrong answer on this.
There are serious considerations though.
On the plus side, high end modellers will allow you to re-order your effects chain for each saved setting. The effects are top quality and often have more adjustments than the original pedals do and can be turned on & off individually within a preset with the right controller in many cases. They also can reproduce many popular amps and give you more tonal options than a simple multieffects board.
On the minus side, there's a steep learning curve.
Most high end stuff isn't meant to be run through a normal guitar amp and cabinet so you need a high quality power amp and full range speaker system to get the best out of them.
This means extra cost.
The AXE FX needs a floor controller which is another $700 if you want to control changes on the fly and Kemper I'm not sure if there's even one available.
Personally if all I wanted was effects, I'd say no but if you want a good recording platform and multi-amp simulations and can afford it then maybe it's for you.
I looked into all this and went mid-way with the Line 6 HD500. I still need a FRFR speaker system to get the most out of it if I want to play live but at home I use my powered Studio monitors. It came with its own foot controller built in and a PC app that lets me program and controll it from a PC if I want as well. It's not a Keemper or AXE FX (or Eleven Rack which you haven't mentioned) but is way beyond the normal POD and all in one amp modellers like VOX, Peavey, Fender etc put out.

As for longevity, again the controller for the AXE FX is rugged, (same can be said about the HD500 footswitches). The software gets periodic updates/improvements and those are free.
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
PRS 2013 SE 245 in Tobacco Burst
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30

Last edited by KenG : 09-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
xFilth
Phrygianist

Axe Fx all the way. No more tapdancing, much more convenient, excellent programmability.

The Axe having a steep learning curve is a myth, imo. It's hard not to get good sounds out of it, with the recent firmware updates. Yes, you can go into very deep parameters, but most of the time, it's not necessary.

You don't need a 700$ controller for the Axe. A 100$ FCB1010 can do 90% of the same things. I personally use my old Pod X3 Live as a controller (and it doubles as a backup rig in case my Axe should fail, which has yet to happen, with heavy use over the past 2 years)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
nyandres

So I already have a pod hd500. When I switch from a clean amp, to distortion channel/preset I lose for example the smooth delay spillover. It doesnt happen when I use my tc nova delay as the delay however. Can the axe fx do this without me needing to use the nova delay. Thats the main reason im still using my pedals over the pod hd500
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
xFilth
Phrygianist

Yes, you can fully control fx spillover on the axe
Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
dspellman

First, since you already have an HD500, ask this question on the Line 6 forums. Seems to me there's a way to set things up so as to not lose your "tails." Is that your only issue?

I have a pair of the flap-top plastic bins (like this one):

...full of FX pedals. I mostly use Pods these days (I've also got an Axe-FX Ultra, but that stays home). For starters, ten FX pedals means about 20 connectors in the pedals and another 20 on the ends of those little short cables. That's 40 of them that can go wrong (at a minimum) and take out the entire signal path. Lose one and you're trouble shooting the entire board. As you note, you've got $1700 worth of crap on that board; an Axe-FX II is about $2300 plus controller these days (yes?) and you've got one guitar cable going in (plus whatever you need for the controller). I often use a Pod HD (not the HD 500) bean, with an FBV Express or a Shortboard. NO guitar cables and no AC cable going from the bean to the footboard (it's an ethernet-type cable). And the Pod HD bean cost me about $275 (discounted).
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFilth
Yes, you can fully control fx spillover on the axe

Is that true even when you change to another preset altogether?

Last edited by dspellman : 09-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
nyandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Is that true even when you change to another preset altogether?

Exactly. If this is possible, I may just keep the POD. ALso is this also the case with the AXE FX/Kemper units. Its annoying to loose the spillover when changing preset.

....DAMN .... After some googling it looks like this is not possible on the POD, unless using a dual amp (toggling one for the other), but that sounds like a dsp resource hog of an idea.

So the question still is. Is this possible in the AXE FX/KEMPER?

Last edited by nyandres : 09-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Rate This Thread: