Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
vulcan422

US Recommendations for a vocal microphone, intended for Extreme Metal

So the Tascam DR-08 I have has pretty good instrument sounds, but the vocal sounds are much less then satisfactory for me. My vocals consists mostly of Death Metal growls/Black Metal-esch screams, but I also do melodic/clean vocals as well. Can someone recommend a nice microphone, suitable for my conditions, that has a nice balance between quality and price? I also understand that I'll need some type of pre amp, or something of the sort, because USB microphones have very poor quality. In that case, I would appreciate a recommendation for a converter/pre amp/phantom power supply/whatever the term for it is, preferably something that only does one thing, like convert vocals, because I have all my other instruments covered. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse

Last edited by vulcan422 : 09-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
vulcan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
gay4slipknot

The SM58 and X2u package should give very satisfactory results, people tend to use condenser mics for best clarity but its pretty hard to find one that can handle screams well, the Shure Sm7b is always a safe bet but pricey. Go for the SM58.
gay4slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
JWG2007

I use a Shure Sm7b for all vocals, it sounds amazing. For a good, relatively cheap pre-amp, I would go with a Behringer Ultragain Pro.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
merriman44

The sm7b is a bit of a turd until it has a $Art plus preamp behind it due to its low output. For recording, I suggest the blue bluebird for it clarity. Its a pretty flat frequency mic and allows the mixer to get the whole vocal and cut out what he doesn't want. For a interface check out presonus. I've had great luck with a number of their products. That will get you going with a quality semi pro rig
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
vulcan422

Well I can't afford a SM7B, even though it seems like a number of great artist use that microphone for their recordings. Would the SM58 be the next runner up?
Quote:
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
merriman44

The SM58 is a mediocre mic at best. It's a staple of the industry only because it's cheap and damn near indestructable. Although it would be best to get a condensor mic, the 58 will suit your needs and can be had for next to nothing (see below):

It'll do just fine but I wouldn't buy one new. Folks practically give them away on ebay and craigslist. As they are almost indestructable it's no problem buying used. The money you save can go to a quality interface. I suggest the presonus audiobox 220 if you are using usb. Clear, clear preamps with lots of headroom. Perfect for aggressive vocals and it's not ridiculously expensive.

I've also had experience with m-audio. They are cheaper and of less quality but they would probably suit your needs.

Finally, you'll need a DAW. Reaper is free, a decent DAW, and easy to work with so I'd nab that and call it done.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
vulcan422

Thanks a lot Merriman, I think I'm going to go with a used SM58 off ebay, need to make sure I get a real one and not a fake one, and then get a Presonuse Audiobox USB. I already have a DAW, Mixcraft 6. Thanks a lot for the help.
Quote:

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
merriman44

the audiobox is a great choice. We recorded all of my vox for "Of Death and Vengeance" using this little baby. Almost everything is single tracked and it still punched through the mix and the clarity is just ridiculous.

Here's the link if you want to get an idea of the product's clarity.
http://fadetooblivion.bandcamp.com/...h-and-vengeance

Let me know if I can help you out with anything else brudda, and good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I'm gonna say get a 57 and a pop filter. The 57/58 and the SM7B are quite similar. The 7B is lower output due to its lack of transformer, and a bit smoother sounding as well. Both benefit from good pres though.
Ibanez RGA121
ESP Eclipse II

Last edited by oneblackened : 09-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
merriman44

Why would you suggest a 57 over a 58? They are essentially the same mic, but the 58 has a bit of plosive filter with the ball shield. They are the same price and the 58 is tailored more to vocals. I see no gain from a 57 over a 58 but am curious to see if they're is something I am missing.

In any case, agreed on the pop filter, OP you'll need one regardless.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Why would you suggest a 57 over a 58? They are essentially the same mic, but the 58 has a bit of plosive filter with the ball shield. They are the same price and the 58 is tailored more to vocals. I see no gain from a 57 over a 58 but am curious to see if they're is something I am missing.

In any case, agreed on the pop filter, OP you'll need one regardless.

Well, they're otherwise entirely identical aside from the grill, so...
Ibanez RGA121
ESP Eclipse II
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
merriman44

Of course. So I guess what I'm asking is why you wouldn't pick up a 58, for the same price and have the option of having a grill or not? In any case, to each his own, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.

Rate This Thread: