Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
El3ment380

Loose output jack prevention

Ok so my epiphone sg has had a loose output jack for a while, and my guitar is now ruined because of it. (accidentally stepped on the guitar cable and it ripped the wood off.)

The problem was it just never tightened anymore after a year. I tried loctite and that didn't work too well. I'm probably going to have to buy another epiphone because I can't afford a gibson. What can I do to the jack when I buy the guitar to prevent the damn thing from coming loose? Thanks guys!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Roc8995

Drop of clear nail polish on the threads before you tighten it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

You could try filling the gap with wood and glue and drilling a new hole for the jack. Also, thread your cable over the strap button to avoid stepping on it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
D_M_I
Omniscient

I don't understand how a loose input caused the cable to rip the wood off your guitar......

Anyway, As stated, nail polish, loctite or superglue, etc. I would suggest a lock washer. the serrated kind would be best for this situation. Along with the loctite.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_I
I don't understand how a loose input caused the cable to rip the wood off your guitar......

Anyway, As stated, nail polish, loctite or superglue, etc. I would suggest a lock washer. the serrated kind would be best for this situation. Along with the loctite.

As long as it isn't the red version. Red loctite is permanent. Blue requires it to be heated up to break the seal. For this type of work you should probably use green or purple.

Some nail polish on the threads works great too. Also, tighten that ****er down tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
El3ment380

Yeah the wood ripped off because it was loose for a long time. It created cracks and it finally broke on me.

So where do I put the nail polish exactly? just a little bit around where the bolt screws onto?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ment380
Ok so my epiphone sg has had a loose output jack for a while, and my guitar is now ruined because of it. (accidentally stepped on the guitar cable and it ripped the wood off.)

Your guitar isn't "ruined." It does need a repair, and a good tech can put it back to rights. I have a '49 ES-175 (hollowbody) that had a 1" x 3" hole where there used to be an output jack. It was repaired and refinished (the whole guitar had been sanded down to bare wood) back in '77 and is now considered cool "vintage."

As for the loose output jack...

You now know why a lot of people run their cables through their straps (because they or someone else will "accidentally step on the guitar cable"). They also have wireless for that. If you insist on stepping on your cables, there are also magnetic ends that disconnect magnetically (Snap Jack is one): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...nstrument-cable

I began using Neutrik panel jacks for some of my guitars long before Gibson tried it with the LP Standard. Gibson's customers being the traditionalists they are, it was seen as heretical and discontinued.

See what's missing? The nut over the screw threads. And it locks (you can get a non-locking version as well).
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: