Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
GeorgioAntonio

Respect for left handed guitarists?

Being a left handed guitar player is really frustrating. At least, for me it is. I've been playing guitar for a few years and since I am a natural born lefty I learned to play that way. I really want to play guitar for the rest of my life but the lack of lefty support is so prevalent it's hard to stay motivated to play, especially when people scorn for playing lefty.

Do you know how discouraging it is to walk into a guitar store and seeing all the mountains of guitars everywhere, and knowing you can't play a single one? But of course there is a corner of the store with a few cheap lefty guitars and maybe one fender standard. Do you know how annoying it is not being able to play your friends guitars or them not play yours?

How about when you look on the 20,000+ guitars sold online at Guitar Center or Musician's Friend only to find about 100 are lefties. And when you want a guitar, It's not like you can try it before you buy it because it's usually over the internet. The way I have to buy my guitars is by looking at the specs of the guitar and not even knowing if I'd like it until I actually got it in my hands after I already bought it.

Of course there a good companies out there, like Martin and Schecter, who make many models of Left handed guitars, and those are the brands I buy guitars from. But having to pay an extra 500-1000 dollars for a Left handed Firebird model is a blatant discrimination.

Left handed guitarists have A LOT more dedication and commitment to playing the guitar. There are a lot more things that we have to deal with and it depresses me when I have to bring my own guitar into a guitar store to try out the amps and then people look at me like I'm a freak for playing that way. I think Lefties should be highly respected in the guitarist community and something to be proud of, but of course I just get crap for it. It makes me just want to quit and relearn standard.

Anyway, sorry for that wall of text, If you actually read all of that, I thank you. What do you think about someone when you see them playing a guitar southpaw? Do you respect them more than normal guitar players? or do you not notice/ don't really care?
GeorgioAntonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Im left handed and I play left handed and you need to stop whining

There is 1 left handed person to every 9 right handed people of course their will be racks of righties and only a couple lefties
Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Roc8995

Why would I respect someone more or less because of their handedness? It doesn't matter, not even a little bit. I'm surprised you've come across people who have cared, honestly. The good news is that if they thought less of you for your handedness, they're stupid and you can ignore them.

It's probably too late for you to switch now, but the epistemological thinking on lefty playing is that you should learn to play just like everyone else, i.e. not with a lefty model. There's no 'handed' preference for learning guitar, and if anything you might be a bit more proficient with fingering using your dominant hand. So really this lefty thing was a bit of a mistake that's perpetuated itself, where manufacturers make a lefty model because left handed people think that guitars are "handed" like golf clubs or scissors, when in reality it's an ambidextrous but asymmetrical piece of equipment, like a computer keyboard or motorcycle handlebar controls. There's no practical reason to make lefties use a different instrument layout; there's no such thing as a lefty piano or oboe, and there shouldn't be such a thing as a lefty saxophone or tuba or flute but they've all fallen into a similar trap. For the most part, though, "lefty" instruments are very much marginalized and frowned upon not because of the people who play them but because they represent a poor understanding of how we learn and play instruments, and an unnecessary pigeonholing of lefties. A lefty guitar is a symbol of your oppression, not your freedom

Sorry you feel left out, but I very much doubt this is an issue of disrespect so much as one of low economic impact. People who play the Bajo Sexto probably feel left out at guitar center, too, but it's about profit margins, not because people think you're defective or weird. If you're feeling brave, ditch the lefty instrument and learn to play "regularly." If you're already locked in, best of luck, and know that nobody with a brain is judging you.

Unless you stand on the wrong side of the stage and whack your headstock into things. Then you're a menace.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Fryer Mike

What Colin said.

That's like asking if I respect a guitar player more if he/she is black, or a woman or a child. It makes no difference. You should just learn to play a right handed guitar like Jimi did.

Don't be a b*tch.
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Fryer Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Carvin offers just about all of their guitars in a left-hand version, and they do not charge extra for them. But as for your pain, I am afraid you are stuck with it. If the existence of Jimi Hendrix did not encourage manufacturers to make more left-hand guitars, then nothing will.

Hang in there, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
If the existence of Jimi Hendrix did not encourage manufacturers to make more left-hand guitars, then nothing will.

Are you suggesting that Hendrix inspired people to be left handed?

Fender wouldn't even make Jimi a lefty while he was alive. Just goes to show it's about the market and not the 'inspiration,' I guess.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

So what guitat did clapton buy for him just before he died
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
ecvMatt
clamper

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Roc8995

Well, I learned something!
Apparently they had lefties available but Jimi just liked using an upside-down standard model. And Clapton did indeed buy him a lefty later on, but it seems like he didn't use it much.

Cool. Still not a stellar selling point for lefty instruments, though
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
GeorgeNugwell

Why didn't you learn to play right handed? Your left hand is going to be doing most of the intricate fingerwork that way, which would give you a slight advantage.

I mean, I'm left handed and it just seemed more natural to pick up a guitar and play it "right-handed" because all my right hand has to do is go up and down. Meanwhile the left hand is the one having to deal with all of the fast movement, differing chord shapes etc. etc.

Of course this totally backfired on me when I moved on to lean some fingerpicking, but by then I was playing for a couple years and not easily discouraged like when I first started.

Or why not re-string a righty? All you have to do is some slight modifying (and if you set up your own guitars none of these mods will be unfamiliar to do correctly).

So no, when I see someone playing lefty, I don't respect them more. I think of the extra money they paid for an instrument and how they learned guitar by swimming upstream and think to myself, "poor bastard."
GeorgeNugwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I ****ing hate lefties.

You and your equal rights, fair pay and transparency.

God damn lefties.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
D_M_I
Omniscient

Obvious troll is obvious......Or, he's just an a**hole. Either way, I win.

Last edited by D_M_I : 09-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Framus offers all their guitars in left and right hand models.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

I'm a lefty, and I feel your pain bro. After a while you get used to it, and the guitar selection is just a minor setback.

But either way this thread is gonna get alot of trolls telling you to switch to right, to stop whining, etc. They don't understand really.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgioAntonio
Being a left handed guitar player is really frustrating. Do you respect them more than normal guitar players? or do you not notice/ don't really care?

I don't really care.

I think the whining is misplaced.

With every other musical instrument your handed-ness is not an issue. You learn to play the instrument as it was designed. Trumpet, Saxophone, piano, pipe organ, drums -- all are designed with a single orientation for every player. Right handed players and left handed players alike put in the same number of hours of practice to develop their chops. Fact is, there are quite a few folks who are left-handed who play guitar right handed (Neal Schon is notable among them) and quite well. If there were no right handed guitars, I would learn to play the guitar left handed, and I would do equally well given the practice time and the development of muscle memory.

I learned to shift a car right handed and steer with my left. In GB, I have to steer with my right and shift with my left. After a day or two you don't really notice, and the same is true for GB folks who come to the US.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Monk
I'm a lefty, and I feel your pain bro. After a while you get used to it, and the guitar selection is just a minor setback.

But either way this thread is gonna get alot of trolls telling you to switch to right, to stop whining, etc. They don't understand really.

This.

Every time someone makes a thread like this most people just say "Learn righty ya bastard!" as if there's no "handed" preference for guitar but that's nonsense. And it's not just a feeling of "It doesn't feel right" i've seen a lot of threads here where left handed guitarists that play righty struggle with their picking hands just not being up to the task, it's not a coincidence.

I think righty players are just jealous that we're naturally better guitarists .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
D_M_I
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintVitus
This.

Every time someone makes a thread like this most people just say "Learn righty ya bastard!" as if there's no "handed" preference for guitar but that's nonsense. And it's not just a feeling of "It doesn't feel right" i've seen a lot of threads here where left handed guitarists that play righty struggle with their picking hands just not being up to the task, it's not a coincidence.

I think righty players are just jealous that we're naturally better guitarists .

I don't see anyone saying to change hands. May have missed it, but I think the issue is the self loathing.

I bet this guy would be happy to give you some thoughts on your disability.

Lol, at least he can play a right handed guitar, so I guess he has that going for him...........

Last edited by D_M_I : 09-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintVitus
This.

It's not righty, though, that's what people are trying to say. There really isn't a handed preference for guitar playing, any more than there is for typing or playing piano. There's no physiological basis (that I'm aware of) to make playing guitar an "oriented" activity. None of the motions have any basis in handed muscle development. It's not like throwing a baseball where you have specific, long-evolved and ingrained tendencies where handedness provides an advantage, or like writing where the activity is so fine that hand dominance comes into play for fine motor movement. Lefties have trouble with picking because everyone has trouble with picking. There are threads by righties every day asking for help with picking. It's not because they're secretly lefties, it's because it's hard.

I'm left-handed and ambidextrous at several activities. There's definitely an element of "I learned this way" that is very strong, and sometimes one way just feels right when you're learning. The problem, though, is that you're convinced that there's a dichotomy where there isn't one. Playing guitar isn't actually a right-handed activity. You're not "playing lefty," you're playing mirrored. I shoot a bow lefty, but I learned that way. I bat switch because I learned both ways early on. Those things feel perfectly natural to me. If you can get past your initial hangup of thinking that you're "playing the wrong way" you might find that not every activity has to be left- or right-handed. Guitar is one of those. If you learn one way, you'll play that way just fine.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
It's not righty, though, that's what people are trying to say. There really isn't a handed preference for guitar playing, any more than there is for typing or playing piano. There's no physiological basis (that I'm aware of) to make playing guitar an "oriented" activity. None of the motions have any basis in handed muscle development. It's not like throwing a baseball where you have specific, long-evolved and ingrained tendencies where handedness provides an advantage, or like writing where the activity is so fine that hand dominance comes into play for fine motor movement. Lefties have trouble with picking because everyone has trouble with picking. There are threads by righties every day asking for help with picking. It's not because they're secretly lefties, it's because it's hard.

I'm left-handed and ambidextrous at several activities. There's definitely an element of "I learned this way" that is very strong, and sometimes one way just feels right when you're learning. The problem, though, is that you're convinced that there's a dichotomy where there isn't one. Playing guitar isn't actually a right-handed activity. You're not "playing lefty," you're playing mirrored. I shoot a bow lefty, but I learned that way. I bat switch because I learned both ways early on. Those things feel perfectly natural to me. If you can get past your initial hangup of thinking that you're "playing the wrong way" you might find that not every activity has to be left- or right-handed. Guitar is one of those. If you learn one way, you'll play that way just fine.

Everything you've typed seems to make sense.

I'm slightly drunk and that other post was more of a rant than anything so you should probably just ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgioAntonio
snip

Albert King just grabbed a right handed guitar and played it backwards. Not only did he learn to play like that, he did so without even knowing how to read.

Jimi Hendrix often strung right handed guitars backwards.

I don't see where you have a complaint. If you play left handed, then do so.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: